Non Imm " F".. Mistake?

I received a letter of employment from Thai Government, went to Laos, came back with Non imm F visa.

I was under impression I would get the B type.

They did a mistake or I am able to work with F?

Also, based on

The F Visa may not need a work permit!?

That being said, if someone have experience or knowledge about that visa, feedback would be appreciated.

Bottom line, can I work with F visa?

Background: IT Engineer position under Ministry of Information and Communication Technology.

Thx

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A Non Immigrant F visa is normally issued to perform official duties, for example an Ordinary (Non Diplomatic) passport holder to perform duties at an embassy.

So it appears that this may well have been issued in error.

Not sure if you can work in the capacity offered using this class of visa, perhaps others can answer that.

Edit: Concur with UJ on this after more research, you learn something new everyday! 

Edited by Mattd

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Non Immigrant F visa is normally issued to perform official duties, for example an Ordinary (Non Diplomatic) passport holder to perform duties at an embassy.

The non-f visa can be issued for several different types official duties. As I wrote he has the correct visa for what he is doing.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The non-f visa can be issued for several different types official duties. As I wrote he has the correct visa for what he is doing.

Yes, I edited my original post, as further research does reveal this, you live and learn!

Non-Immigrant Visa Type “F” may be granted to holder of ordinary passports who are invited to work or train with the Royal Thai Government or the United Nations agencies in Thailand.

31 minutes ago, enkiki said:

The F Visa may not need a work permit!?

Foreigners don't need a work permit to work legally, they need permission. For most that permission comes in the form of a work permit issued by a labour office. As long as the work you are doing for the Ministry has permission you can work with the F visa.

17 hours ago, enkiki said:

I received a letter of employment from Thai Government

Is that all you had to show for the Non F visa?

Is it a single or multi entry visa?

Valid for 90 day entry or 1 year? 

Just preparing my CV:whistling:

Is that all you had to show for the Non F visa?

Is it a single or multi entry visa?

Valid for 90 day entry or 1 year? 

Just preparing my CV:whistling:

No. Many papers to get. Similar to B visa.

Medical check

University degree (translated)

Organisation papers including map location, office photo, organization chart...

Director ID etc.

One thing they didn't provided me and I had to get is a paper stating how many people are working there including foreigners.

In my case, it was written in the organisation profile they are employing " over 300 people". However, they wanted to know exactly the number of people and names. My guess is the ratio of foreigners in the overall list.

So make sure you have that part covered.

To answer your last question, it is 90 days to start and extended to one year after that. Single.

Cheers

unlikely a mistake on the embassy's part. the embassy/consulate in lao actually expected OP's application, as per notice sent by the mict through mfa. i got one two years ago through the ministry of education. it's way better than a non-o or b. i didn't have to report my address every 90 days, visa/extension validity depends on length of contract, us the multiple re-entry extensions were free of charge. the only downside was for transactions that often required a work permit such as opening bank accounts, applying for loans, transferring ownership, renewal of driver's license, etc. in such cases, specific docs/letters from the office need to be requested in place of the work permit

Fantastic that we now have a forum rep everyone can ping when the 90 day report site is having issues :D where do I file issues, first one is that there's a perfect storm with the autocomplete where the autocomplete response handler often throws a 500 and the callee just retries, which leads to an infinite loop and browser lockup - easily fixed with a one liner in the js.

Out of interest, and feel free to tell me to keep my nose out. Do you qualify for the same pension Thai govt employees do, and is the pay any good (I believe "any good" in software dev in Thailand is 80 - 120k)? The pension is pegged to between 70 and 85% of final salary I believe, so if you get one in combination with a decently paid role it's a very nice bonus.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

• 2 months later...

Hello back again,

Time is going fast and it's time to extend my current F visa (which was valid 3 months on the big sticker).

Now that I got another round of organization papers to extend it, what is the process?

Just go at CW, fill the extension form (if so, which one?), pay the fee and get new one (9 months) since my contract is one year?  Hope I don't need to go Vientiane again.. should be a local extension right?

Anything else I should be aware?

Thanks in advance

34 minutes ago, enkiki said:

Hello back again,

Time is going fast and it's time to extend my current F visa (which was valid 3 months on the big sticker).

Now that I got another round of organization papers to extend it, what is the process?

Just go at CW, fill the extension form (if so, which one?), pay the fee and get new one (9 months) since my contract is one year?  Hope I don't need to go Vientiane again.. should be a local extension right?

Anything else I should be aware?

Thanks in advance

Every extension is made on same form TM. 7

You will get a one year extension of stay, they don't extend for 9 months unless your passport validity is less than one year. 

2 hours ago, enkiki said:

Correct, the extension is given at immigration inside Thailand.

Correct, the extension is given at immigration inside Thailand.

Went to immigration this morning to extend my Non F visa... I thought it would be straightforward, however they looked confused on what to do.

First, they gave me 1 month for visa consideration.

Then superviser said he won't signed it unless I have a work permit.

I tried explaining F doesn't required a work permit... No luck.

Then cancelled my "under consideration visa" and told me to go get work permit and they will extend one year.

I was under impression F doesn't need work permit!?

Went to immigration this morning to extend my Non F visa... I thought it would be straightforward, however they looked confused on what to do.

First, they gave me 1 month for visa consideration.

Then superviser said he won't signed it unless I have a work permit.

I tried explaining F doesn't required a work permit... No luck.

Then cancelled my "under consideration visa" and told me to go get work permit and they will extend one year.

Welcome to the real Thailand

2 hours ago, enkiki said:

I have no actual experience of 'F' visas and extensions, but I believe you would be applying for an extension of stay under...

2.3 In the case of necessity where the applicant must carry out duties for the government, state enterprise, or other government agency:

The alien:

1. Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. Must have been confirmed and requested by said agency or organization.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557. Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand

in which case a work permit is required...

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of work permit or application form in case of changing company during the validity of work permit.

4. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay issued by the government, state enterprise, or other relevant government agency

5. Evidence proving the status of the government agency (if any)

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 138/2557. Supporting documents for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand

A work permit for working for the Thai government should be very easy to get. The labour office will tell you exactly what they need.

On 12/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, enkiki said:

Just go at CW, fill the extension form (if so, which one?), pay the fee and get new one (9 months) since my contract is one year? 

You will get a one year extension stay. Immigration normally do not do less than a 12 month extension.

You should not  have problem as long as you have all the required supporting documents from your employer.

• 9 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 11:41 AM, irwinfc said:

unlikely a mistake on the embassy's part. the embassy/consulate in lao actually expected OP's application, as per notice sent by the mict through mfa. i got one two years ago through the ministry of education. it's way better than a non-o or b. i didn't have to report my address every 90 days, visa/extension validity depends on length of contract, us the multiple re-entry extensions were free of charge. the only downside was for transactions that often required a work permit such as opening bank accounts, applying for loans, transferring ownership, renewal of driver's license, etc. in such cases, specific docs/letters from the office need to be requested in place of the work permit

Any chance you could provide a draft of that letter for opening bank accounts etc.?

I started new work with an INGO and I'm on a non-immigrant F now. The HR told me there is no work permit. Now, I'm planning to buy a motorbike and going to Chaeng Wattana everytime to get my certificate of residence in cases like that sounds like a major hassle. I'm tempted to try with a letter from my employer first, but I'm assuming I will fail and people will tell me I need to show a work permit/certificate of residence.

Unrelated to that, how did it work for you during the extension? As @enkikipointed out, he had problems extending his permit of stay due to the missing work permit. How did you handle this? 

At work, there is another foreigner on this non-immigrant F visa and he told me he heard that it's actually possible to get issued a work permit on a non-immigrant F. I still have to talk to HR about that, but it would make life a lot easier to confirm my address.