Essential & Non Essential Android Apps

Valentine

When buying a new phone it always seems to come loaded with apps most of which I do not use. I would prefer to have the right to download my own choice of apps. Question is how to get rid of unwanted apps which are shown on the screen yet do not appear in the application manager & how to distinguish which apps are essential for everyday use.

Many apps are "embedded" within the ROM, and cannot be uninstalled without using more extreme measures (rooting, for a start).

Removing some apps may have a negative impact on the use and operation of the phone.

On more recent versions of Android one can long press on the app icon, go to "App Info" and if it is not greyed-out, Uninstall it. There are a lot of other paths to this option.

You can remove app icons from all screens except the App drawer.

"Apps essential to everyday use" is sort of a broad term, can you drill down on that?

And can you give an example of an app which is vexing to you? (please feel free to include the exact make/model/android rev.).

A Custom ROM may/will allow you to exert more control and personalization over your device. But finding, and installing, a suitable custom ROM may prove challenging. 

There also may be custom launchers which allow you to create a better user experience and are much less intrusive than custom ROMs. 

With a better understanding of your phone and issue(s) I'm sure some here can give you better recommendations.

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Many apps are "embedded" within the ROM, and cannot be uninstalled without using more extreme measures (rooting, for a start).

Removing some apps may have a negative impact on the use and operation of the phone.

On more recent versions of Android one can long press on the app icon, go to "App Info" and if it is not greyed-out, Uninstall it. There are a lot of other paths to this option.

You can remove app icons from all screens except the App drawer.

"Apps essential to everyday use" is sort of a broad term, can you drill down on that?

And can you give an example of an app which is vexing to you? (please feel free to include the exact make/model/android rev.).

A Custom ROM may/will allow you to exert more control and personalization over your device. But finding, and installing, a suitable custom ROM may prove challenging. 

There also may be custom launchers which allow you to create a better user experience and are much less intrusive than custom ROMs. 

With a better understanding of your phone and issue(s) I'm sure some here can give you better recommendations.

I am running Android version 4.4.2 on a Galaxy Note 2. Is there a way to know whcih apps are running in background & of those which are essential. When I do ho delete an app it always questions that it may affect other apps. Thanks

23 hours ago, Valentine said:

I am running Android version 4.4.2 on a Galaxy Note 2. Is there a way to know whcih apps are running in background & of those which are essential. When I do ho delete an app it always questions that it may affect other apps. Thanks

I have an old SG2 with 4.1.2 on it and get the same. I just disable and then see if it has any effect. The only one I had to re-enable was gmail to update Line. I was wondering whether it was worth rooting it to get more life out of it as I would like to get rid of most of the aps.

If memory serves me, the Note 2 launched in 2012. Rooting will solve your problem, but I believe it would be difficult to find a ROM designed for the Note 2 that is still being supported.

In the future, you may want to buy a phone like the Google Pixel or Xiaomi MI A1 that runs pure Android.. no bloat. 

I had an oppo POS android phone with their color os, I finally lost it and could not afford/or find an iPhone 6+ to replace it. Peculiar the number of places that advertise the iPhone for ฿12,000 but when you get there, all sold out, but they have a great deal on an iPhone 7 for ฿20,000. I purchased a  new ฿2000 Wiko with nougat (Android 7.x.x) OS as a temporary phone. But may keep it. 

With the 4gb color os taking 3gb storage it would not allow me to download most apps to the phone or the 32gb SD Card. I could not remove or deactivate any of the Google apps I never use. 

The nougat os was more difficult to learn to navigate, but I picked up essentials quickly. Especially the "install all apps to SD card" option. It is so nice to receive a text message and not receive a "memory maxed" message.

I use my locked US iPhone 6+ for my apps and magicjack for US Calls & texts. The Wiko is mainly for Thai calls & texts, but I am using more & more apps. 

I got my phone on a half price deal with AIS several years ago & although screen is cracked (have glass cover to stop further cracking) it still works fine & cannot afford new phone just now anyway although have been looking at AIS deal on J7 Pro.

19 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If memory serves me, the Note 2 launched in 2012. Rooting will solve your problem, but I believe it would be difficult to find a ROM designed for the Note 2 that is still being supported.

In the future, you may want to buy a phone like the Google Pixel or Xiaomi MI A1 that runs pure Android.. no bloat. 

I would agree about choosing a phone with pure Android. It's a shame Samsung put out good hardware then ruin things by pushing out their bloated software. 

Another way to make android run smoother is to inhibit notifications for each of the apps you load, otherwise they will run continually in the background hogging resources. 

6 hours ago, Valentine said:

I got my phone on a half price deal with AIS several years ago & although screen is cracked (have glass cover to stop further cracking) it still works fine & cannot afford new phone just now anyway although have been looking at AIS deal on J7 Pro.

The Sammy J7 is about B8000 and you still have all that Bloat. The Xiaomi A1 can be had on Lazada for B6900 and no Bloat. If you can see your way to a new phone, the Xiaomi would be a good choice.

7 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

I would agree about choosing a phone with pure Android. It's a shame Samsung put out good hardware then ruin things by pushing out their bloated software. 

Another way to make android run smoother is to inhibit notifications for each of the apps you load, otherwise they will run continually in the background hogging resources. 

In the applications manager you can force stop anything I think.  I agree don't like bloat but I think I've stopped it all. 

1 hour ago, amvet said:

In the applications manager you can force stop anything I think.  I agree don't like bloat but I think I've stopped it all. 

You can not force stop anything. You can only stop those Google and the phone manufacturer allows you too..

28 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You can not force stop anything. You can only stop those Google and the phone manufacturer allows you too..

What apps do you think you can't stop? Don't say all give me an example.

stop.png

Edited by amvet

Yes some Chinese phones comes with Android one, a near "naked" phone when you buy it, nice, my now dead UMI Super was excellent in that regard.

My new Galaxy7+ comes with some "Sammy" apps pre-installed and as mentioned, nothing you can do about it, unless rooting, which I don't want to do. 

It's not too bad and I can live with it and I have also removed the ones I don't want from the screen, but off-course they are still there running in the back ground, eating up RAM and battery.

8 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes some Chinese phones comes with Android one, a near "naked" phone when you buy it, nice, my now dead UMI Super was excellent in that regard.

My new Galaxy7+ comes with some "Sammy" apps pre-installed and as mentioned, nothing you can do about it, unless rooting, which I don't want to do. 

It's not too bad and I can live with it and I have also removed the ones I don't want from the screen, but off-course they are still there running in the back ground, eating up RAM and battery.

What apps can't you stop that run in the background? 

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

We are not talking about Xiaomi. We are talking about Samsung. Look again AH

OP, " When buying a new phone it always seems to come loaded with apps most of which I do not use. I would prefer to have the right to download my own choice of apps. Question is how to get rid of unwanted apps which are shown on the screen yet do not appear in the application manager & how to distinguish which apps are essential for everyday use."

I think the Xiaomi has a lot of bloatware and asked you if you agreed.  You think the Samsung has a lot of bloatware and I said you could disable it all and you said no but could not back up your claim.  I think that's where we stand. 

I think I have stopped all the the bloatware I don't like like S Health.  It's simple just disable or force stop.  If you can tell me any Samsung app that you can't stop I'll try and stop it and if not let you know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Easily fixed without rooting. Most can be simply uninstalled or with Android 7 you can remove their permissions.

Or you can get Startup Manager on Playstore to prevent unwanted apps starting up.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant