The most common scams targeting Australians in Thailand

rooster59

7 hours ago, bannork said:

555 aha! Another word apart from Qatar where the q does not require a u

QANTAS is not a word...like BA is not a word.

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services, the worlds first commercial airline.

From the people who brought you heathens the Hills Hoist and Victa lawnmowers.

Edited by tryasimight

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services, the worlds first commercial airline.

But it is pronounced as a word rather than as a acronym.

8 minutes ago, bannork said:

But it is pronounced as a word rather than as a acronym.

Irrelevant.

It is not a word , that is why there is no U after the Q, at least for the English speaking world. Bit like BREXIT is a word but it really isn't.

Sure it has become a colloquialism but it is still not a word in the proper sense ...in the same as people now say LOL...(yes they really do!!) which really annoys me by the way.

Either way it's hardly a discussion point.

5 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Irrelevant.

It is not a word , that is why there is no U after the Q, at least for the English speaking world. Bit like BREXIT is a word but it really isn't.

Sure it has become a colloquialism but it is still not a word in the proper sense ...in the same as people now say LOL...(yes they really do!!) which really annoys me by the way.

Either way it's hardly a discussion point.

How can someone say laughing out loud if they are laughing out loud. Sure you can type it but no one says it. 

Just now, Hupaponics said:

"The most common scams targeting Australians in Thailand"

Lucky me, I'm not Australian?

Argh no one told you, I see. Take it from me jimbo you are an Australian so throw a few ribs on the barbie and lets call it culture.

7 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

How can someone say laughing out loud if they are laughing out loud. Sure you can type it but no one says it. 

That is where you are wrong...people do say it..they actually say 'oh..lol'...and it annoys the crap out of me.

Edited by tryasimight

He was NOT scammed.  He was talked into buying some expensive things.  that is his problem. Now as far as the temple is closed as Monks are praying.  On my 4th trip to the country I finally made it to the Grand Palace.  And sure enough as I stand across the main gate and see people entering, I get the same line. I said no thank you.  The Tuk Tuk guy knew I knew. So he said, look I take you three other temples, the white marble temple, a gem store, etc.  no pay.  He gets gas coupons and some tokens for just getting me in the door.  So I was in no hurry so I went for the ride.  I didn't buy a thing.  He got a little upset when I didn't buy any stuff from that gem store, but so be it.  Three hours later and I had seen two temples I would not have ventured to on my own and a mildly interesting gem store.  He took me back to the Grand Palace and all was well. I even gave him a tip.  Now as for that official looking guy, yeah there were a few of them standing around with photo badges.  But at no time did I have to buy anything

18 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

thinks he’s savvy about travel scams   

Welcome to Thailand, what a Muppet   :cheesy:

'Gotta' agree.  Oldest trick in the book, and can't believe some version of it isn't running in other tourist destinations around the world.   'Hope his flight planning is more meticulous.

About 40 years ago in Patpong, a shill was trying to get us to go to one of the girly shows.  Ping pong balls, all that.  After trying to wave him off, I finally asked if they had a show with a girl and an elephant.  He got a little upset at that.  "You got elephants?"

Some time later, a gal from our Peace Corps group went to one of those shows with some of the guys.  She was amazed at the talent of some of the female performers. Such as writing legible English words with a marker and not even using their hands.

This is a most confusing thread. The topic is something like: The most common scams targeting Australians

I though the most common scam with Aussies had something to do with smartly dressed sheep!  

That the Aussie subsequently found out was NOT an ewe.

23 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I love it I always give the scammer an extra few minutes of my time or anyone trying to push sell to me. I make a point of it to the Mrs and at the end politely say no thank you and walk away. Not just tourists but Thais also get pressure sold to, pretty much everywhere. even big C buy 2 deals are sometimes more expensive than if you buy 1. Common practice here.  Have a look at the deodorant buy 2 deals next time in big c. 

Yeah your right about the deodorant......I noted one last week in Big C South Pattaya .....thought it was strange  and never thought it would be a scam type thing till you mentioned it. Luckily did not buy it and will be keeping my eyes open for that in the future....... thanks for the info.

14 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Actually, QANTAS [wiki link] is a true "initialism [link] and can be considered to be a word, like NATO (another initialism) according to www.dictionary.com.

As to "BA", another initialism if referring to British Airways: It's a sound only a sheep or a Scrooge would make and is usually pronounced by English speakers as two words which are the letter "B" and the letter "A" ), yes?

Edited by MaxYakov

3 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Actually, QANTAS [wiki link] is a true "initialism [link] and can be considered to be a word, like NATO (another initialism) according to www.dictionary.com. As to "BA": It's a sound only a sheep or a Scrooge would make and is usually pronounced by humans as two words which are letters ( "B A" ), yes?

It is interesting which acronyms become, or are pronounced as words- Unicef, Unesco, etc. It seems acronyms are only pronounced as single letters when there are few letters, is 3 the maximum? TWA, BBC etc.

25 minutes ago, bannork said:

It is interesting which acronyms become, or are pronounced as words- Unicef, Unesco, etc. It seems acronyms are only pronounced as single letters when there are few letters, is 3 the maximum? TWA, BBC etc.

Thanks. I believe an acronym or an initialism is actually a word if it is pronounceable as a word without confusion such as your UNICEF and UNESCO examples. The RADAR acronym and the SWAT initialism I don't believe can be considered to be anything but words as well.

I'm sure there are short ones that are considered words as well (because they can be pronounced as unique words without causing confusion) and ones that get split such as "DTAC". Your BBC example is basically unpronounceable and pronouncing TWA is dodgy at best. :biggrin:

Take the (fabricated) SCAM initialism for example (to pretend to say on topic):

SCAM = Scurrilous* Criminal Activity Method

* = or should it be "Successful" or "Stupid" (or some other "S" word)?

Edited by MaxYakov

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True. I was approached too, on my first trip to Thailand, and I believed this gentleman (I think, I was actually approached by two people within a short time), of course, that Wat Phra Kaew was closed. Some time after, I also fell for the 'free tuk-tuk' scam, but I kept my wits about and never went on a ride where I didn't want to go, and never bought anything that looked suspicious or too-good-to-be-true. It's always good to follow common sense. 

Hmm,..I had a great time with the so called free Tuk Tuk scam in Chiang Mai some +/-25 years ago...The Tuk tuk driver told me he would bring me to all the factory's around San Kampeng !?...he told me I didn't have to buy anything, just go inside have a look and pretend to be interested. Didn't bought anything but I enjoyed this immensely as it was my first trip to Thailand and Chiang Mai. at every stop he would get a ticket to buy gas for he's Tuk Tuk...we both had a great day. I bought him a drink and a meal I think. The next days he drove me around for a really good price. needles to say this was before mass tourism and the tuk tuk drivers were mostly nice guys making a good living...

On 10/15/2017 at 12:45 PM, MaxYakov said:

Actually, QANTAS [wiki link] is a true "initialism [link] and can be considered to be a word, like NATO (another initialism) according to www.dictionary.com.

As to "BA", another initialism if referring to British Airways: It's a sound only a sheep or a Scrooge would make and is usually pronounced by English speakers as two words which are the letter "B" and the letter "A" ), yes?

Moving to the OCD forum....MOVED