Cost of new meter - Double 'for farang'

Phanganguy

I have just completed my new house and went to the local PEA office (Koh Phangan, Surat Thani) to get the temporary builders meter swapped to a 15/45 supply in my name.

Firstly I got... Farang can not... Has to be in a thai name or company name. After alot of discussion, and pointing out thebrequirements on the PEA webpage of planning permit in my name, passport, blabla) the application was accepted and a house inspection arranged.

Next came the cost...  4600 baht... For thai... Double (9200) 'for farang'

Looking on their costings board on the wall... No mention of a farang price of course, and only a single quoted price onbthe PEA website.

Question... Anyone else jad this situation?

Should I insist... No farang price only single 4600 price?

If they refuse...  Is itbworth contacting Customer Support at their head office bkk?

If I have to pay to get a supply... Will, but this strikes me as another of those farang rip offs, but wanted to know others experiences.

Thanks

Not something I've come across, but I'm not really surprised they're trying it on. Is the "fee" the meter deposit or an actual connection charge?

Probably the easiest solution is to get the supply in the name of the landowner, you can still pay at Seven etc.

How long would it take you to recoup the extra charge in reduced power bills? Ours would be about 2 months, so 2 months delay getting a permanent supply would negate the saving on the fee.

Do you really want to alienate the outfit who will be restoring your power when something goes awry by shopping them to head-office?

Yes, I know, it's not "right" but sometimes the easiest path is the smoothest.

No, being held hostage by PEA is a shame. They get paid to do a job and should do it, there are rules and regulations they should follow, but until enough people complain nothing will happen so the circle of corruption will continue.

Why are they the only game in town?

My name is on the chanote as holder of a superficies and I applied for a new meter in my name (to be billed to me) at my local PEA and had no trouble at the lower price. No 'farang' price.

I would not have accepted a higher price, especially so blatantly enforced. It is NOT legally valid.

So what you do next is up to you. I have never accepted cheating like this in all my many years in Thailand and have always stood up to it whenever it reared its ugly head. That's just my way and I'm glad that I've always upheld my principles. But I don't do this in an aggressive manner. Just know your rights, quietly and firmly point them out and don't give in. If you can't get your way directly then go through the head office.

On the other hand it is 'easier' to roll over and pay.

1 hour ago, ksamuiguy said:

No, being held hostage by PEA is a shame. They get paid to do a job and should do it, there are rules and regulations they should follow, but until enough people complain nothing will happen so the circle of corruption will continue.

Why are they the only game in town?

Every place I have ever lived in my whole life, there was only one electric company and no choice... 

i had a house built in a village a few years ago and was hot wired from the builders when i went for my electric meter they wanted to charge me about 15 or 20,000 baht which was a rip off so i never bothered about 2 years later the electric company got wind that there was about 15 or 20 houses hot wired, they were down here like a flash with the meters and we all got the meters free.

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

My name is on the chanote as holder of a superficies and I applied for a new meter in my name (to be billed to me) at my local PEA and had no trouble at the lower price. No 'farang' price.

I would not have accepted a higher price, especially so blatantly enforced. It is NOT legally valid.

So what you do next is up to you. I have never accepted cheating like this in all my many years in Thailand and have always stood up to it whenever it reared its ugly head. That's just my way and I'm glad that I've always upheld my principles. But I don't do this in an aggressive manner. Just know your rights, quietly and firmly point them out and don't give in. If you can't get your way directly then go through the head office.

On the other hand it is 'easier' to roll over and pay.

I've had condos, homes, meters, etc. Never "cheated". I spoke polite Thai, smiled and got good service. Don't do the "white man" shouting in English. Then they'll charge more for the bad manners, which you deserve. Forget the rules, Thais don't do rules, they do people. Deal with the officer at the desk civilly. He'll even bend the rules to help you out.

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Ask for it in a written quote that Farang MUST pay double. If they won't write it down as evidence, you are craftily being extorted by the guy. 

Being so obtuse will get you nowhere. Go to the start of the queue and wait.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Every place I have ever lived in my whole life, there was only one electric company and no choice... 

Australia has several choices of electric company.

Thats probably one reason why Australia has one of the most expensive power costs in the world. I did see recently where someone said it was the most expensive in the world but can't confirm that.

I have literally been involved in this in the last 2 weeks.  Farang name and Thai name were both 4600 baht.  2 different houses.  One set of paperwork in the farang name and the other set in the Thai name.  No difference in charges.

I've only had good experience with PEA (although to be fair the account is in her name). One day I was out paying bills with my 1.5 year old and he was hopped up on life (and maybe 1/2 of those mini Snickers bars from 7-11 I may or may not have split with him). I accidentally grabbed the water bill but the friendly guy at the counter still managed to get my information out of the system and I settled the bill. Considering the usual 'service' one gets at most Thai establishments I was quite pleased. 

On 10/16/2017 at 9:28 AM, catman20 said:

i had a house built in a village a few years ago and was hot wired from the builders when i went for my electric meter they wanted to charge me about 15 or 20,000 baht which was a rip off so i never bothered about 2 years later the electric company got wind that there was about 15 or 20 houses hot wired, they were down here like a flash with the meters and we all got the meters free.

Just bought mine for my condo - 2200 baht - don't know why the Ops is so expensive, even the "Thai price" he quotes is double what I paid.

17 hours ago, HHTel said:

I have literally been involved in this in the last 2 weeks.  Farang name and Thai name were both 4600 baht.  2 different houses.  One set of paperwork in the farang name and the other set in the Thai name.  No difference in charges.

Yes, my PEA meter account in in my English Name, for my Blue Book, I had to have my name translated into Thai (which is never an exact)  Why not in plain English??  If PEA can do it, why not the Land Office.

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Just bought mine for my condo - 2200 baht - don't know why the Ops is so expensive, even the "Thai price" he quotes is double what I paid.

i believe that in a condo you dont own the meter with a house you own the meter.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

i believe that in a condo you dont own the meter with a house you own the meter.

You don't own the meter.  The deposit you pay is a guarantee against damage and any unpaid bills should you abscond.  When bills are not paid, the PEA will take your meter away.

12 hours ago, HHTel said:

You don't own the meter.  The deposit you pay is a guarantee against damage and any unpaid bills should you abscond.  When bills are not paid, the PEA will take your meter away.

i was lead to belive in a condo if you dont pay your maintenance fees the juristic person can remove your electric meter with a house in a village the juristic person is not allowed to touch it. i thought maybe it was cos in a house you owed the meter.

Edited by catman20

With a house, your contract is directly with the PEA (once the developer has turned over responsibility).  Therefore the PEA has direct control over your supply.  I have recently helped a friend in a moo bahn who had their meter removed due to non payment of a bill.  (the guy was out of the country and hadn't made arrangements for the bill to be paid).  The contract is terminated after 90 days and you have to start from scratch with a new contract.

Update... Charge was 6200 baht... 4600 for the meter and 1600 baht 'service charge'

Whilst I am fully aware of what is going on... And have receipts and operatives name... I have agreed to pay... Simply for expediency... And for excellent future service (as opposed to bad) should there be problems in the future.

I will retain the receipts and names for future discussion with PEA head office should there be any such issues... 

The islands are still a little 'wild west'... One of the frustrations but also one of the delights.  ;-)

Thanks for the inputs guys... 

Edited by Phanganguy

On 10/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, BWPattaya said:

Did you check capacity of the meters?  Many Thais accept the basic meter at 5/15. Foreigbers opt for a 15/45amp to power aircon etc. They cost more than the basic ome. 

This could be the answer , maybe not a scam after all. 

28 minutes ago, balo said:

This could be the answer , maybe not a scam after all. 

Indeed...  It wouldn't be the first time a Westerner has 'gone off half cocked' (not that this is the case here) and claimed 'Scam' when in fact he has misunderstood the issue an is paying for something better / different etc etc....  then again, it wouldn't be the first time that someone is attempting to pull a fast one... 

It's difficult to remain astute especially when so many would 'let it slide' for an easier life which makes it more difficult for everyone else who won't. 

Ultimately, unless we know in detail exactly what we are paying for its difficult to establish a true comparison...  In this case it could be that the guy is used to Thai's demanding the cheapest (5/15amp) and the guy at the PEA assuming that Westerners want the best (15/45amp) along with all the other westerners he has dealt with... Well... it could be something as simple as that !!! 

I've said it already but only last week I opened a contract with PEA for electricity.  4,600 baht which includes 2,000 baht security deposit (receipt supplied).  Following a survey, the electric meter and supply was done in 3 days.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's difficult to remain astute especially when so many would 'let it slide' for an easier life which makes it more difficult for everyone else who won't. 

Guilty as charged m'lud.

I agree with richard's sentiments, the problem is that "everyone else" (i.e. the locals) don't have an issue.

It is obvious the local office is trying it on they know they are the only game in town, it's not like you can go elsewhere for your power.

So, if you want the supply in a farang name you can:-

Stick to your guns and insist on the "Thai-price" and run the risk of being on the temporary supply (and paying double for your power) for a long time because there's "nobody available" to do a permanent meter. If you get the hump you will likely also be at the bottom of the list for getting your power restored if there's a failure.

OR

Pay the amount requested and demand a receipt (which may or may not be forthcoming) and live the easier life.

I'm not defending paying bribes but am a great pragmatist (it has got me in trouble more than once). We are where we are and it's a sad fact that a little "lubrication" is often expected by officials to "do their job".

There are far bigger worries in life.

The price of the different size meters are clearly posted on a sign in any PEA office I have been in Buriam province. You may have a deposit on file in your name, for the temporary meter in your name, which gets deducted on the permanent meter fee.  You still will have a deposit and it is crucial to save the receipt for your deposit fee. 

PEA Electric Meter Connection Deposit Installation Fee 2017.jpg