Suvarnabhumi Immigration

I am looking for some advice please, ideally from someone with very recent experience of Suvarnabhumi Airport immigration procedures, as I may have screwed up on my planned emigration from the UK to Chiang Mai. 

Some facts first:

• I have booked and paid for a one-way ticket to Suvarnabhumi in January. 
  • I have booked and paid for a separate flight from Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Mai, about three hours after I land from London.
  • I do not have any return flights, or any other flights booked out of Thailand
  • I am hoping to pick up my O-A visa this week from the embassy in London, the process for which will require my address in Chiang Mai, which I have. 

I am assuming that I will need to go through immigration in Suvarnabhumi in order to collect my luggage, before I must subsequently re-enter the airport for my flight to CM.

My questions are:

• Is my assumption correct?
  • If yes, will I also need to go to CM Immigration in order to register anything?
  • What, if anything, will my condo owner/management office need to do?
  • Is there anything else I should be thinking about or be concerned by?

Any constructive advice or recent experiences would be welcomed.

Many thanks.

Phil

• Like 1

Although theoretically not your responsibility, you should ensure that the TM30 form is submitted. If your Chiang Mai address is temporary, ensure a fresh TM30 is submitted when you move to your permanent address.

Assuming you are in Thailand for 90 consecutive days, you are required to do an address notification. Someone else here will be able to tell you the best way to do the address notification in Chiang Mai. Depending on office policy, you may be able to do it easily online (see the pinned thread near the top of this sub forum), may be able to do it by post, or may need to do it by visiting immigration. In the last case, someone else can do it for you, and you may decide to use an agent to avoid the hassle of waiting in line yourself.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Although theoretically not your responsibility, you should ensure that the TM30 form is submitted. If your Chiang Mai address is temporary, ensure a fresh TM30 is submitted when you move to your permanent address.

Assuming you are in Thailand for 90 consecutive days, you are required to do an address notification. Someone else here will be able to tell you the best way to do the address notification in Chiang Mai. Depending on office policy, you may be able to do it easily online (see the pinned thread near the top of this sub forum), may be able to do it by post, or may need to do it by visiting immigration. In the last case, someone else can do it for you, and you may decide to use an agent to avoid the hassle of waiting in line yourself.

Thank you.

I have a permanent address for at least 1 year. So if the IO in BKK submit the TM30, there would be nothing else for me to in CM, right?

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

tm30 is submitted by the owner/agent of the property where you are staying, at the local immigration office, just make sure it is done asap,  if not get it done

TM30 is nothing to do with foreigners, forget about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

Thank you.

I have a permanent address for at least 1 year. So if the IO in BKK submit the TM30, there would be nothing else for me to in CM, right?

Not right.

The IO in BKK does nothing to register your address in Thailand.

You have to take care to register at Chiang Mai immigration.

By theory it's an obligation of the condo/house owner to register you with the TM30.

But practically it will be you that goes to immigration with the TM30 signed by the owner and copies of his housebook.

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

TM30 is nothing to do with foreigners, forget about it.

?? Seriously,

It's the registration of foreigners living at a residence in Thailand.

You don't have to care if you check-in at a hotel or the like.

But as the thread starter wants to live in a condo (for a year or more) he has to (be) register(ed).

To the thread starter:

you know that you have to do a "90 day report" at immigration after each period of staying 90 days in the country?

to @ubonjoe

can I direct your attention to this thread as I am not too familiar with the TM30 subject?

(mine is from 2011)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not right.

The IO in BKK does nothing to register your address in Thailand.

You have to take care to register at Chiang Mai immigration.

By theory it's an obligation of the condo/house owner to register you with the TM30.

But practically it will be you that goes to immigration with the TM30 signed by the owner and copies of his housebook.

?? Seriously,

But as the thread starter wants to live in a condo (for a year or more) he has to (be) register(ed).

To the thread starter:

you know that you have to do a "90 day report" at immigration after each period of staying 90 days in the country?

to @ubonjoe

can I direct your attention to this thread as I am not too familiar with the TM30 subject?

(mine is from 2011)

Ok, so now my understanding is the following:

I will pass through immigration at Suvarnabhumi but will then need to report to Chiang Mai IO with a TM30 which I will obtain either through my estate agent in CM or directly from the condo owner.

I am aware of the 90 day reporting - thank you KhunBENQ

Edited by WhiteHatPhil

You will have no issues with Immigration in BKK Suwarnabhumi airport when you arrive. Actually on an O-A, as I understand,  you will have no reason to attend Chiang Mai Immigration for a long while unless you need to do a 90 day report. As for me I don't do 90 day reports, but from what I hear they will likely require TM30. At that time you could be fined for not having done it within 24 hours of arrival at your residence in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai Immigration started with the TM30 last year. (Check the TM30 thread on the Chiang Mai subform It has been a nice little earner for them). I am based in Chiang Mai A TM 30 is required (there) every time you re-enter the country within 24 hours.  That does not count Immigration closed days.  I just heard from a Japanese friend/ long stay couple there is  get a 7 day grace period. I would not count on that courtesy applied to Farangs. 

So, If I were you I WOULD go to Chiang Mai Immigration and lodge a TM30 report as soon as you arrive in January. Then when/if you do a 90 day report in Chiang Mai they will not be able to fine you 1600 baht. 

Edited by Dipterocarp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Does the flight to Chiang Mai depart from Suvanabhumi Airport or Don Muang airport? 

21 hours ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

I have booked and paid for a separate flight from Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Mai, about three hours after I land from London.

Just make sure that you have all your ducks in a row when you check in for your flight to Bangkok

or they may not let you board without an onward flight ticket.

(I nearly had this problem last week as the check in people had no idea what a Non Imm B

extension meant)

29 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

Why not book your flight directly to CNX, so your luggage appear in CNX. 

And you do the Immigration there also. 

OP has already booked his flights, so probably not an option now.

However, if the two airlines have an agreement, then it may be possible to do this, suggest the OP does ask at the initial check in, just in case they are able to check him right through.

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Just make sure that you have all your ducks in a row when you check in for your flight to Bangkok

or they may not let you board without an onward flight ticket.

Should not be an issue, especially with an O-A visa, if it is, then he needs to demand to see a supervisor.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

?? Seriously,

But it ain't the foreigner responsible for doing it.

20 minutes ago, Mattd said:

OP has already booked his flights, so probably not an option now.

However, if the two airlines have an agreement, then it may be possible to do this, suggest the OP does ask at the initial check in, just in case they are able to check him right through.

I flew from Heathrow to Bangkok to Chiang Mai, last year, went looking for baggage at Bangkok, no where to be seen, had already been put on the plane to CNX.  Even though it was different carriers. You need to ask at the Heathrow desk where it will be sent. 

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

It can be the foreigners responsibility under the immigration act.

It is well know that immigration does put the responsibility on the person renting it to see it is done or do it themselves.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:
14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

?? Seriously,

True, in theory, but many (most?) offices have a nasty habit of making it the foreigner's responsibility. It would be a lot of work for the officials to track down the individual responsible, by law, for submitting the TM30. It is easier just to give the foreigner an ultimatum: organize the TM30 and any applicable fine, or you do not get your extension, reentry permit, or whatever else you are asking for from immigration.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I flew from Heathrow to Bangkok to Chiang Mai, last year, went looking for baggage at Bangkok, no where to be seen, had already been put on the plane to CNX.  Even though it was different carriers. You need to ask at the Heathrow desk where it will be sent. 

To see where the bags have been checked through to, the easiest solution is to examine the baggage tags. These specify the destination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

To see where the bags have been checked through to, the easiest solution is to examine the baggage tags. These specify the destination.

This is true, if the bags are able to be cleared to CNX, then it is possible that the onward boarding pass to CNX might be able to be issued at the point of origin as well.

Normally the person at the check in desk will be able to see the connecting flight if the two airlines have the appropriate interline agreement and would then ask where do you want the bags etc. checking to.

The OP should be able to check if the two airlines he is flying are able to make this connection.

I've never done a transit in BKK airport, I wonder, is there any inbound immigration in the transit area in the case of those whose baggage is checked through?

14 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

So, If I were you I WOULD go to Chiang Mai Immigration and lodge a TM30 report as soon as you arrive in January. Then when/if you do a 90 day report in Chiang Mai they will not be able to fine you 1600 baht. 

You as a farang can not file the first TM30 but can update when you leave country and return to same residence. I know this because I have done it. I went to immigration with a Thai friend and she asked about the TM30 and was told owner of residence has to do and I can't because he assumed first time. But when he saw I already had previous one he renewed. 

If not done the owner gets a 1600 baht fine as did my previous landlord. The problem comes for you is that immigration won't renew your visa extension without it. Well at least here in CM. 

When your flight Goes to Ch.Mai from Suvarnabhumi you don’t go through immigration in Suv. We did iT once and even our suitcase went on the flight to Ch. Mai, so we didn’t have to do anything, so it was very easy. 

As from the Tm 30, you or your landlord have to take care of it.

Just now, Brayka said:

When your flight Goes to Ch.Mai from Suvarnabhumi you don’t go through immigration in Suv. We did iT once and even our suitcase went on the flight to Ch. Mai, so we didn’t have to do anything, so it was very easy. 

This is going to depend entirely on whether or not the airline from UK to BKK are able to check everything straight through.

Reading further in to this, then a lot of airlines have had to rewrite their separate ticket policy, due to the introduction of APPS (APIS) in Thailand, so, if the journey is ticketed individually, i.e. UK - BKK on one ticket and the sector BKK - CNX on another ticket, then the OP may well have to clear immigration and collect his baggage in BKK prior to checking in again for the BKK - CNX flight.

This, I'd assume, is because the originating airline can only report the pax info as far as BKK to APPS.

Only way to know is to ask the originating airline.

20 hours ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

Thank you.

As for dinner, should I be thinking about it, or be concerned by it? :-D

There are probably over a thousand restaurants in CM,...might be difficult to choose one...!?!?

Depending of what airlines you fly with, and if they co-operate, you may be able to check your luggage through all way from London to Chiang Mai, by showing both tickets in London (you need two hours in Suvarnabhumi for that, but seem like you have three). In case that you get your luggage check in all way to Chiang Mai, you shall not walk through Immigration in Bangkok, but proceed to Domestic, where there at the entrance use to be a representative from the domestic airline to guide you through Immigration to Domestic (normally very short queue). 

It's a few years ago now, I last used International to Domestic in Suvarnabhumi, so someone please correct me, if I'm outdated and things has changed...:smile: