This has to be seen to be believed: Wish you were here - you could help us pick up the trash on the beach....

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, mok199 said:

I speak for myself..i am tired of cleaning up after thais and Chinese..its hard,but..I now walk over and around the garbage and try not to let it upset me...BUT IT DOES IT PISSES ME OFF..the laziness and disprespect in asia is unbelievable..WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE GROW UP....

They will only grow up and be responsible when someone shows them it's wrong.

It's not their fault.

They just think it's normal to throw away rubbish.

Maybe if the people in authority spent a little time promoting a clean and hygienic society,  like they do in promoting their much loved monarch, the country would greatly benefit.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

The weekend was jam packed with THAI families on the beach with their food, the mess that was left behind was discusting, no fine yet 100,000 for a Foreigner dropping a cigarette butt. Seems priorities are wrong somewhere.

Its 100,000 for anyone, Thai or a foreigner, but I agree the priorities are strange. 

10 hours ago, mok199 said:

I speak for myself..i am tired of cleaning up after thais and Chinese..its hard,but..I now walk over and around the garbage and try not to let it upset me...BUT IT DOES IT PISSES ME OFF..the laziness and disprespect in asia is unbelievable..WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE GROW UP....

Sadly, probably never. Too many just don't care enough. :sad:

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

The  litter problem is not only on the beaches, but everywhere.

People here do not care, never clear up just throw things on the ground, not enough litter bins is also a problem, but then people will not throw litter in them, but just dump it on the ground.

A few days ago i went to big C, past a small lake just outside our village.

There was a group of people sat at the side of the lake eating/drinking.

On my way home, they were gone, the mess they left behind was disgusting.

the significant sized man-made lake just outside sukhothai city attracts a lot of fisherman; while we used to take our guests out there 10 years ago, we no longer do so due to the remarkable amount of trash and garbage left behind by those fishermen;

my friend runs photo tours and he too no longer takes his clients out there due to the same reason

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Wish you were here - you could help us pick up the trash on the beach....

...and during your stay in Bangkok, forget shopping and sightseeing, go for the real adventure and join the tourist volunteer team cleaning the blocked drainage system. 

12 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& surely it's not that difficult to buy a couple of sand sifting machine (like they have in other countries ) that can be trucked around to different beaches

Exactly what I was going to post. When I lived in Spain this was done very night.

11 hours ago, The manic said:

Jomtien beach is in Jomtien. However, what this story really illustrates is the need for some small groups of self employed entrepreneurs to hire out deck chairs and sun lounger to beach users.  Perhaps the authorities might arrange it. 

Other popular beach locations in Thailand, there, the local governments/authorities  seem to care about their coastline and beaches  Sadly. it would appear that Pattaya and Jomtien Authorities don't share the same view point

Intrepid beach cleaners head out into the storm | Phuket Gazette

Phuket Gazette1280 × 535Search by image

The Phuket Hotels Association made an announcement early this morning, “Good morning, as we are experiencing even more severe weather and many hotels have ...

image.png.3ce6f7e432a58072ca64e492bae14140.png

Also of Cha Am beach taken 2016

image.png.dc86527637729704f78bcafbf44eb136.png

This picture is of Cha Am beach early morning

image.png.3b71456408c2ff7a8667fd4bc19474e7.png

This picture is of Hua Hin beach early morning

image.png.cb33205f9247741454d75e588136ab82.png

So, as can be seen keeping the beaches nice and clean is very doable

3 minutes ago, dieseldave1951 said:

to busy buying tanks etc toys for the boys to worry about those pesky tourists

or even do this 

A total of 1.2 tons of rubbish was cleared in the exercise. Photo: Department of Marine and Coastal Resources

Phuket

image.png.5d3f1ece0b53cb1f794948cce272a961.png

I visit the beach in Kata most days.  I clean the beach in front of the bar where I sit every day I go there.

Filled two plastic shopping bags yesterday.

I have picked up everything from broken cigarette lighters, dirty nappies, tampons, condoms and the usual array of plastic and polystyrene.  Fag packets from many different countries in the world, medicine packets also from many different countries.

Takes me about 10 minutes each time - only do this at low tide so I can as much stuff in my bags as possible.

I would do more but old back injuries prevent me from doing this.

No, I have not got a work permit, just in case anyone was going to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I visit the beach in Kata most days.  I clean the beach in front of the bar where I sit every day I go there.

Filled two plastic shopping bags yesterday.

I have picked up everything from broken cigarette lighters, dirty nappies, tampons, condoms and the usual array of plastic and polystyrene.  Fag packets from many different countries in the world, medicine packets also from many different countries.

Takes me about 10 minutes each time - only do this at low tide so I can as much stuff in my bags as possible.

I would do more but old back injuries prevent me from doing this.

No, I have not got a work permit, just in case anyone was going to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done, but why isn't the bar owner doing this ?

To me the obvious solution is to make the beach vendors responsible for their section of the beach.

Edited by Peterw42

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

The  litter problem is not only on the beaches, but everywhere.

People here do not care, never clear up just throw things on the ground, not enough litter bins is also a problem, but then people will not throw litter in them, but just dump it on the ground.

A few days ago i went to big C, past a small lake just outside our village.

There was a group of people sat at the side of the lake eating/drinking.

On my way home, they were gone, the mess they left behind was disgusting.

That must have been a group of foreigners. Maybe friends of the two caught in the act of sunbathing among all the garbage they brought to dump?

13 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Another operator, Chatwarin Wongthong, said the authorities should help clean up the beach.

There is the mentality right there.

Even the guy running a business at the beach sees it as someone else responsibility.

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& surely it's not that difficult to buy a couple of sand sifting machine (like they have in other countries ) that can be trucked around to different beaches

Pattaya bought a beach cleaning machine a few years. The last I heard was that it was laid up as no one knew how to use it.:saai:

11 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I was at Pattaya beach around 2 pm Sunday. Tide coming in. Piles of rubbish. Never seen it so bad. Definitely hadn't been cleaned yet. I usually sympathise with the deck chairs guys but I can't understand why they don't clean up in front of their sites at least. It's not like they are really busy. I wouldn't sit in that but plenty sunbathing in the filth.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There's a difference between being busy and being just plain lazy. If the quality tourists are prepared to sunbathe near and in amongst the crap then why should they get off their backsides and clean?  Sought of reminds me of animals wallowing.:wai:

24 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

A picture paints a thousand words... nuff said!!

Why can't the local schoolchildren clear it up? Not the kindergarten toddlers but the older ones. A great opp' for teachers to teach environmental science, maths and about plastics. Might put off some children from smoking in the future too.

Edited by owl sees all