Windows 10 Update to 1709

Formaleins

21 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm afraid that you've got to clean up your machine before you update.

As my good deed, or monkey wrench, for the day I'm gonna throw this bit of geekery out there for THE thorough cleanup. Not for the faint-hearted (hence I've never mentioned it previously); take a system image first for your own peace of mind at least. And your PC will be tied up for at least 4 hours, longer if your system is running from HDD (defrag involved). It may reset a few things but nothing major. You can customize it as you prefer via command line switches or go full monty.

It's great stuff, though, and deals w/ a number of annoyances like the telemetry. I really like it and have found it helpful. Been tweaked for years based on redditor comments. It works well on most systems though as w/ everything else there's (cough) the occasional glitch. :smile:

Overview here: https://www.technibble.com/free-precious-time-tron-script

Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/wiki/index

Get latest release (and discuss) here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/

To run it, move the resources folder and tron.bat to your desktop. Reboot into Safe Mode with networking. Right-click tron.bat and "Run as administrator." Watch till you realize that you have something else much better to do, like sleep. :smile: If you notice what seems to be an anomaly, like Sophos says, "can't access blah," it's probably normal. Even in Safe mode, Windows can be quite protective. Chances are that somebody has already asked your question and you can search the reddit thread or google for an answer.

After tron finishes, reboot before anything else. Enjoy what should be a faster, smoother system, depending on what condition your system was in.

Edited by JSixpack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Pib said:

I noticed I had the Windows10Upgrade folder.   

No such folder for me. I have never forced a Win10 update, always waited on Windows to do it for me, since first being burnt by a force attempt when Win10 came out, I forced it on my Win7 and was left crippled as the dedicated AMD graphics card wasn't to be supported for another month or more. My PC is 6 years old.

I did a quick scan of folders in Windows folder and it seems the hidden Installer folder and then WinSxS are main culprits taking up nearly 70% of my 44GB Windows folders!

Capture.JPG.a82fc6d5d3d7abd57e16d7d4285f2eba.JPG

I've forced the last two Win 10 upgrades on both my laptops instead if waiting for Microsoft to eventually get around to me. All went fine.

Plus that allowed me to better control the "when" of the upgrade instead of MS picking the date.

On 11/19/2017 at 12:22 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

I did a quick scan of folders in Windows folder and it seems the hidden Installer folder and then WinSxS are main culprits taking up nearly 70% of my 44GB Windows folders!

I found the TreeSize app very useful for finding out what is hogging my hard drive.

I have since recovered 17GB of the 21GB used in the Windows\Installer folder as these were reported as orphaned files by PatchCleaner app. Normally I just make do with CCleaner and Windows Disk Clean-up to tidy my hard drive, but I will now use PatchCleaner from time to time as well, it allows for undo if it gets things wrong of course, but so far everything works as before and I have an extra 17GB of SSD drive returned to me. 

Edited by WorriedNoodle