Ex British Royal Marine running for the Great Rama IX says sorry to the Thai people from his hospital bed - but he will make it to Hua Hin even if he has to walk

webfact

Ex British Royal Marine running for the Great Rama IX says sorry to the Thai people from his hospital bed - but he will make it to Hua Hin even if he has to walk

3a.jpg

Picture: TNews

Tnews reported on the story of Chris Maynard the ex British Royal marine from London who was hospitalized while running from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin this week.

They called the spirited man "a Briton with a Thai heart" in their headline.

Chris, 37, and his family and friends are doing a run to raise money for a new building at Sirirat Hospital in Bangkok where the departed monarch spent the last few years of his life.

But earlier this week Chris collapsed from dehydration and swollen joints and had to be admitted to Kamphaeng Phet hospital where doctors have kept him on a drip and given him medication for several days.

He had completed 330 kilometers of a 900 kilometer run that the party had hoped to complete in Hua Hin after 14 days by October 25th.

His wife reported on the "Cathy Mee" Facebook page that Chris was feeling much better and was awaiting permission from doctors to leave his bed. There are hopes that he could continue on his journey this morning if given the go-ahead following blood test results.

Chris apologized to the Thai people for not sticking to the schedule but said that he would complete the journey come what may - even if he has to walk the remaining 670 kilometers.

Still in bed, he showed an image of the great king as he promised to complete the journey in the name of the great Rama IX.

His wife thanked the people of Kamphaeng Phet for their contributions to the fundraising and said that donations could still be brought to the hospital.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-20

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every week, from somewhere around the world, there is a story of a Brit attempting some marathon sail/run/walk/crawl across a nation/continent/polar ice cap/ocean/mountain (range) for charity who then

i) lands him/herself on the local health service/helicopter rescue/coastguard

ii) costs more in rescue and health care costs he/she ever raised

iii) is lauded as a hero

Running in the tropics and becoming dehydrated is not heroic (I run here, I know); Climbing Snowdon in a Superman outfit and getting hypothermia is not heroic, .....   It is unprepared, it is selfish, it is stupid.

This is not the 19th century. The Empire is long since gone. The globe is no longer charted by Englishmen in pith helmets marching over tiger-infested hills. These people who demand rescue and care from others are just doing it for the own ego. The charity hero bit is simply a cover and a further ego boost.

"But earlier this week Chris collapsed from dehydration and swollen joints and had to be admitted to Kamphaeng Phet hospital where doctors have kept him on a drip and given him medication for several days.

His wife reported on the "Cathy Mee" Facebook page that Chris was feeling much better and was awaiting permission from doctors to leave his bed. There are hopes that he could continue on his journey this morning if given the go-ahead following blood test results."

someone needs to tell Chris to check himself out........the doctors won't release him until they are completely $atisfied.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Every week, from somewhere around the world, there is a story of a Brit attempting some marathon sail/run/walk/crawl across a nation/continent/polar ice cap/ocean/mountain (range) for charity who then

iii) is lauded as a hero

Running in the tropics and becoming dehydrated is not heroic (I run here, I know); Climbing Snowdon in a Superman outfit and getting hypothermia is not heroic, .....   It is unprepared, it is selfish, it is stupid.

This is not the 19th century. The Empire is long since gone. The globe is no longer charted by Englishmen in pith helmets marching over tiger-infested hills. These people who demand rescue and care from others are just doing it for the own ego. The charity hero bit is simply a cover and a further ego boost.

He is an ex marine I'm sure he was well prepared.At least he is trying to do something positive

I have a better idea. Why  don’t four Brits offer to push him on a hospital bed on wheels for the remaining 670 kilometres?  That would really improve the farang image after all the recent nutters and thieves. I would offer but sadly I’m all tied up pulling strings for a colleague at work.

hospital bed race.jpg

2 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

He is an ex marine I'm sure he was well prepared.At least he is trying to do something positive

He clearly was absolutely not well prepared. Beware of people who describe themselves as ex-......

When did he leave the Marines? 15 years ago. How long was he in? 6 years or 6 weeks? What has he done since leaving the Marines? Window cleaner doesn't paint the same picture, does it?

The myth that he was "trying to do something positive"needs to be examined, for all these endurance charity attempts.

Is the Sirirat Hospital underfunded?

What scrutiny of the use of funds will occur?

Why cloak the whole thing under the name of the late King?

Why not just write a cheque?

What auditing of monies received versus monies paid out will occur?

There are many more avenues to follow.

I am sorry if you don't like these difficult and probing questions, but as soon as I encounter people hiding behind the "charity shield", "the religious shield" and "the respectable establishment shield", my levels scepticism increase. Mr Maynard has employed all 3 shields in the story!

He may well be a nice chap but it is not necessary to do what he is doing to give money to Sirirat Hospital. His motives must stretch to other areas. A challenge, seeking physical fitness, a free holiday, a wish to be praised, a desire to appear in the press, something to do, boredom,........

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He had completed 330 kilometers of a 900 kilometer run that the party had hoped to complete in Hua Hin after 14 days by October 25th.

900km in 14 days? That’s about 64km a day. 

I run a lot and used to run in half and full marathons (mainly the former). That seems like a very ambitious goal, especially given the running conditions here. 

"This is not the 19th century. The Empire is long since gone. The globe is no longer charted by Englishmen in pith helmets marching over tiger-infested hills"

what are you talking about? put the guy down as much as you like, he's had an idea and he's set out to do it. fair play to him i say

9 minutes ago, chippendale said:

Attention-seeking, fake ex-marine goes for a jog, predictably collapses, ends up milking a hospital for medical care, contributing nothing to charity. ..... :coffee1:

you seem to know more about this guys military service and also the amount of money he has so far raised, would you mind sharing please

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

He clearly was absolutely not well prepared. Beware of people who describe themselves as ex-......

When did he leave the Marines? 15 years ago. How long was he in? 6 years or 6 weeks? What has he done since leaving the Marines? Window cleaner doesn't paint the same picture, does it?

The myth that he was "trying to do something positive"needs to be examined, for all these endurance charity attempts.

I am sorry if you don't like these difficult and probing questions, but as soon as I encounter people hiding behind the "charity shield", "the religious shield" and "the respectable establishment shield", my levels scepticism increase. Mr Maynard has employed all 3 shields in the story!

He may well be a nice chap but it is not necessary to do what he is doing to give money to Sirirat Hospital. His motives must stretch to other areas. A challenge, seeking physical fitness, a free holiday, a wish to be praised, a desire to appear in the press, something to do, boredom,........

you need to get out more mate

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

you need to get out more mate

Perhaps go out and irritate friends, acquaintances, colleagues, complete strangers by demanding they sign up and cough up to my charity attempt to help the poor people of the Caribbean (post-hurricane, you know) in which I will hop along every beach in the West Indies all for charity. Is this what you had in mind?

p.s. all necessary expenditure (hotels, flights) to be covered by donations.

pps. I must be referred to as a heroic chickenpox survivor in all communiques.

A post has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Wow- some huge chippy shoulders in here. I wonder what any of them ever did for the betterment of others? Sad T****s.

Go on then, Mr Abusive.

Here's the funding webpage. Put your hand in your pocket. Go on, give him £100, no make it £200. It's all for a good cause. :thumbsup:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/thenard1664

Think of it as a swear box to help the needy.

Edited by Briggsy

I'll just put a couple of things to bed while I'm on here for 5 minutes.

1; The intention of my run was purely charitable. I do not seek fame, benefits or media attention etc. Yes, of course it was a personal challenge! 60km a day is not to sniffed at and I knew this 6 months ago when I began to plan and prepare for this event. I believed that if I push my boundaries, I'd be able to raise more money for my selected charities.

2; All donations made have been done online direct to the Siriraj Hospital bank account or deposited in the collection boxes I've brought along the way in the support vehicle, to which Siriraj Hospital have the only keys. At no stage have myself or the support team handled any of the donations. This was established prior to the event for the exact reason as the gentlemen above has kindly highlighted. Any audits may be done through Siriraj Hospital

3; Yes, I was more than prepared for this run! Serving 15 years in Her Majesty's Royal Marines has taught me the basic concept of preparation and planning (please don't make me state the 7 P's).

I was running 50k very comfortably several times a week self supported (carrying my own supplies and water) and through the hottest parts of the day. I have run ultra-marathons in the past, including a 120k race in Southern England. I'm no stranger to long distance runnning. The actual event run broken down meant 30k in the morning and 30k in the evening with support and missing the hottest part of the day. Something that I was achieving well during the first part of the event.

4; I was not rescued at any stage! I admitted myself to hospital when I identified the signs and symptoms of Rhabdomyolosis. ALL costs of any medical intervention were paid for by me, as is the case in any hospital in Thailand.

5; I knew from the first day that the only thing that would stop me completing this journey was injury and/or illness. Unfortunately I've encountered both. There are some things you can't plan for. I relied a lot on luck not to catch any of these up in the 14 days, my luck ran out after day 5.

6; I did not notify the media about my intention to complete this jaunt. My sponsors took care of that.

7; There we're so many involved in this event. My support team, my logistics team, the city halls from each town en route amongst others. Yes, I do feel very sorry that I can't make the stated distance in the stated time. I do feel I have let people down and I am frustrated that this event has been hindered by injury and illness. 

You're all entitled to your opinions of the event and myself. Please at least bear in mind one thing, from my first step at Bhuping Palace, my intention was purely to help others. I'm sorry this may not come across as such.

At no stage have I or anybody on my team described myself as 'Heroic' or any other associated word. I went out, I tried my best, I did not succeed. I managed to raise some money for Siriraj Hospital and the Royal Marines Charity, which was my intention.

I hope this clears up a few points ladies and gents? 

If anybody has any other quessies, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

NardRunner

Edited by NardRunner
Need to add content

1 hour ago, NardRunner said:

I'll just put a couple of things to bed while I'm on here for 5 minutes.

1; The intention of my run was purely charitable. I do not seek fame, benefits or media attention etc. Yes, of course it was a personal challenge! 60km a day is not to sniffed at and I knew this 6 months ago when I began to plan and prepare for this event. I believed that if I push my boundaries, I'd be able to raise more money for my selected charities.

2; All donations made have been done online direct to the Siriraj Hospital bank account or deposited in the collection boxes I've brought along the way in the support vehicle, to which Siriraj Hospital have the only keys. At no stage have myself or the support team handled any of the donations. This was established prior to the event for the exact reason as the gentlemen above has kindly highlighted. Any audits may be done through Siriraj Hospital

3; Yes, I was more than prepared for this run! Serving 15 years in Her Majesty's Royal Marines has taught me the basic concept of preparation and planning (please don't make me state the 7 P's).

I was running 50k very comfortably several times a week self supported (carrying my own supplies and water) and through the hottest parts of the day. I have run ultra-marathons in the past, including a 120k race in Southern England. I'm no stranger to long distance runnning. The actual event run broken down meant 30k in the morning and 30k in the evening with support and missing the hottest part of the day. Something that I was achieving well during the first part of the event.

4; I was not rescued at any stage! I admitted myself to hospital when I identified the signs and symptoms of Rhabdomyolosis. ALL costs of any medical intervention were paid for by me, as is the case in any hospital in Thailand.

5; I knew from the first day that the only thing that would stop me completing this journey was injury and/or illness. Unfortunately I've encountered both. There are some things you can't plan for. I relied a lot on luck not to catch any of these up in the 14 days, my luck ran out after day 5.

6; I did not notify the media about my intention to complete this jaunt. My sponsors took care of that.

7; There we're so many involved in this event. My support team, my logistics team, the city halls from each town en route amongst others. Yes, I do feel very sorry that I can't make the stated distance in the stated time. I do feel I have let people down and I am frustrated that this event has been hindered by injury and illness. 

You're all entitled to your opinions of the event and myself. Please at least bear in mind one thing, from my first step at Bhuping Palace, my intention was purely to help others. I'm sorry this may not come across as such.

At no stage have I or anybody on my team described myself as 'Heroic' or any other associated word. I went out, I tried my best, I did not succeed. I managed to raise some money for Siriraj Hospital and the Royal Marines Charity, which was my intention.

I hope this clears up a few points ladies and gents? 

If anybody has any other quessies, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

NardRunner

Some proper keyboard warriors on here Royal who have never been involved in anything bigger than themselves and absolutely nothing for you to apologise about

Stay safe Chris and hopefully a few others will get their hands in their pockets 

Mark S

12 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Give it a rest will ya fer Chrissakes!

18 hours ago, Briggsy said:

iii) is lauded as a hero

I can tell you that anyone rescued at sea by the us navy doesn'the cost a penny. The nave is doing training missions or maneuvers they are out there getting the same pay rescuing someone or cruising around.