Dangling wires suspected as cause of pickup engine blaze in Phuket

rooster59

Dangling wires suspected as cause of pickup engine blaze in Phuket 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1508565814_1.jpg

PHUKET: A Krabi-registered pickup was found on fire in front of PPAO Baan Nabon School on Chao Fa East Rd on Friday afternoon (Oct 20).

Capt Jarat Leampan of Wichit Police was notified about the incident at 4.30 pm and arrived at the scene shortly after.

The owner of the car, Mr Thongpha Leela, 48, from Chalong, told the police that at about 4 pm he drove to the school to take his kid back home. Mr Thongpha parked his vehicle next to a power pole on the side of the road and walked into the school building. The man had no idea that his pickup caught fire until it was announced through speakerphones.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/dangling-wires-suspected-as-cause-of-pickup-engine-blaze-in-phuket-64396.php#GOAuYJ7HH6PVjVee.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-21

There's a lot more to this than meets the eyes.  Firstly, it is always advised by fire fighting experts that when live wires come into contact with you car that you stay within the vehicle under professionals arrive and turn off the power. Cars, under the given circumstances, do not catch fire, that is why people are instructed to stay inside, if they step out, electrocution.  I understand that the driver was not with the car but that still does not explain how a dangling wire has allegedly caused the fire.

I say this because the whole car would be electrified and given that the tyres are conductors not insulators, any discharge to the ground will be through those tyres. it has also been determined, by the experts, that there is an 8 metre no go zone around a vehicle, therefore anyone going within that area will be electrocuted. No one was electrocuted that I am aware of.

Yet here we are, a fire in the engine bay, no damage to the tyres and someone is blaming the dangling wires. Was the power turned off when firefighters were there, I don't know, but if not then the scenario presented is highly unlikely, as there would be a distinct possibly of them being electrocuted given they were with the 8 metre zone

When viewing the photos it is  apparent that the fire worked its way outward and upward from the engine bay, destroying the front grille assembly and partially damaging the nearside guard and bonnet.  From this, one can evaluate, with contradiction, that the the seat of the fire  was within the engine bay. There is no apparent damaged to the cabin area, so an electrical fault there can be discounted.

A thorough investigation is required given the circumstances, the area of the fire, level of destruction and that there is little damage to both guards and bonnet, mainly heat damage but this could be attributed to the quick attendance of the fire fighters.

They may have someone with the expertise to determine the cause but IMO, from the photos and apparent lack of inquiries carried out,  one could not reasonably conclude that the fire started in the manner suggested and one would have to be suspicious of the incident until all inquiries are made and those suspicions, discounted. :wai:

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

There's a lot more to this than meets the eyes.  Firstly, it is always advised by fire fighting experts that when live wires come into contact with you car that you stay within the vehicle under professionals arrive and turn off the power. Cars, under the given circumstances, do not catch fire, that is why people are instructed to stay inside, if they step out, electrocution.  I understand that the driver was not with the car but that still does not explain how a dangling wire has allegedly caused the fire.

I say this because the whole car would be electrified and given that the tyres are conductors not insulators, any discharge to the ground will be through those tyres. it has also been determined, by the experts, that there is an 8 metre no go zone around a vehicle, therefore anyone going within that area will be electrocuted. No one was electrocuted that I am aware of.

Yet here we are, a fire in the engine bay, no damage to the tyres and someone is blaming the dangling wires. Was the power turned off when firefighters were there, I don't know, but if not then the scenario presented is highly unlikely, as there would be a distinct possibly of them being electrocuted given they were with the 8 metre zone

When viewing the photos it is  apparent that the fire worked its way outward and upward from the engine bay, destroying the front grille assembly and partially damaging the nearside guard and bonnet.  From this, one can evaluate, with contradiction, that the the seat of the fire  was within the engine bay. There is no apparent damaged to the cabin area, so an electrical fault there can be discounted.

A thorough investigation is required given the circumstances, the area of the fire, level of destruction and that there is little damage to both guards and bonnet, mainly heat damage but this could be attributed to the quick attendance of the fire fighters.

They may have someone with the expertise to determine the cause but IMO, from the photos and apparent lack of inquiries carried out,  one could not reasonably conclude that the fire started in the manner suggested and one would have to be suspicious of the incident until all inquiries are made and those suspicions, discounted. :wai:

I bet you feel a whole lot better now that you've got that off your chest !!