Thai taxi drivers are the worst! No hating. Real life experience

Hiro357

1 hour ago, Hiro357 said:

Geez, I'm not being prejudiced. But having been treated the way I have been I do feel frustrated now. But I don't know that to during the ride. But read it which way you please. 

there is a learning curve to living everywhere.... just because you don't know that there is a 50 baht surcharge, does not make the driver a thief and imagine just how crappy you made his thankless job by squabbling over 50 baht that you legitimately owed to him and he trusted would be paid at the end of the trip... I know you are probably a great guy, but in this instance, you were the one cheating him  -- when on an airport trip you should have been giving at least that in a tip...

I don't know of any major city that has near as cheap a taxi system... I am sorry that you are frustrated. If you don't get a little more knowledge, and make some adjustments, you are going to have some long days... go get a massage... 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may have discovered the root of the problem yourself, they think you are Chinese. There have been several well reported cases of Chinese either without money or refusing to pay the whole fare. As I am sure you know the Chinese are not generally warmly welcomed here.

Next time tell the driver you are " a Japanese who wished he had money", and see what the reaction is.

To the OP - my experience has been similar.....seems to be getting worse over the years.  Nowadays 30-40% chance of a bad experience.

Low standards of entry, regulator apathy, generally tough operating conditions (cannot make a proper living wage), threats like UBER etc, threats to personal safety of the driver all contribute to the declining service levels you observe.  As for your route, vs. theirs - most of them have the whole "face" issue... so God forbid you find a way that is better than theirs.

I too collect the name/number of any good English speaking taxi driver I come across - have cycled through a number of them over the years.  Have saved the numbers of a few UBER/Grab drivers too who take private jobs.

I find Uber/Grab are equally competitive most of the time - so try using them a bit more.  For instance, Uber from Suvarnabhumi to downtown is typically about 350 baht.  AllThaiTaxi has an app (this is the Prius Taxi you see around and committed to service levels.... but only 500 of them), but as a non Thai speaker, I didnt have much luck with it. 

The worst taxi drivers I've encountered are the ones that hang outside hotels, or in highly touristed areas/bars/malls - taxi touts.  Best to walk a bit away from those areas and hail a random cab.  If you feel a ride is not going to go well - don't get in.  Just smile, say no thanks and get the next guy.  Arguments after the meter starts rarely end well.  I pass on taxis that hesitate about my destination before I get in ..... ie. know that if traffic is bad, they may end the ride short, or blame you all the way. Good luck.

Just wanted to add, I think KL is supposed to be equally bad if not worse.... even for locals there.

Edited by tpkhk

5 hours ago, AliasJohn said:

As you said. I must be just you. I have lived here over ten years and taken countless taxi journeys and may have had one or two that got lost. If you get a taxi from the airport there is a 50 baht surcharge. Try getting a taxi in your country for a 30 km trip for about $12.00. I thing mostly it is a great service.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well I'll see your 10 and raise you 20 more (ten years, BTW, is nothing!).  I long ago lost count of the number of times I simply could NOT get a taxi that would use the meter, the exception being the airport (where they know you've got their number on a ticket); I once DID have a taxi at the airport who tried his hardest to get me to hand OVER my ticket to him before setting out (I politely but steadfastly refused - driver didn't say another word all the way to my hotel, and I had made sure ahead of time - as I usually do - to not need change...).   Don't even get me started on taxis in Pattaya.   Also FPS don't deflect with lame & irrelevant discussions about how much taxis cost elsewhere; this isn't elsewhere, and if I wanted to be in "elsewhere" I wouldn't be here.  

Some good & honest drivers out there; mostly a problematic service to be avoided as much as possible.

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is a 50 baht airport fee, so the driver was right. In 13 years of living in Bangkok, the vast majority of taxi drivers I've used have been fine. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Same here. 

And I drive here.  A lot.  And it is very confusing to navigate and locate places.  Not every time but enough that I cannot fault taxi without specifics.  There are bad taxis yes.  But more often they are fine.  And. Any are friendly and cheerful.  

Lastly how would you feel driving I this city daily for 12 hours?

Well i do wonder why taxies do not have a mandatory gps in their car and are obligated to insert each fare.
No mandatory meter turn on. Why would they spend money on a GPS? They don't care if they they go around in circles, they in the cab the whole day anyway.

Japanese love to splash cash around so they are target number 1

Indians are at the opposite end of the scale but both have created drama for themselves and how they are perceived by their own doing.

26 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Well I'll see your 10 and raise you 20 more (ten years, BTW, is nothing!).  I long ago lost count of the number of times I simply could NOT get a taxi that would use the meter, the exception being the airport (where they know you've got their number on a ticket); I once DID have a taxi at the airport who tried his hardest to get me to hand OVER my ticket to him before setting out (I politely but steadfastly refused - driver didn't say another word all the way to my hotel, and I had made sure ahead of time - as I usually do - to not need change...).   Don't even get me started on taxis in Pattaya.   Also FPS don't deflect with lame & irrelevant discussions about how much taxis cost elsewhere; this isn't elsewhere, and if I wanted to be in "elsewhere" I wouldn't be here.  

Some good & honest drivers out there; mostly a problematic service to be avoided as much as possible.

Only 30 years.....I've been here over 150 years.

Two very bad experiences with van drivers. One on Samui, one in BKK.

Songtheaw on Samui was racing with another songtheaw, driving too fast and overtaking in curves where he couldn't see oncoming traffic.

Once a big issue with a tuk-tuk in BKK as well.

Will avoid all of them whenever possible.

BTW, many Thais can read maps and use GPS. My Thai wife is the perfect co-pilot.

To the OP :   Due to history Japanese aren't very popular with Thais.

In Japan I was mistaken as an American and quite a few times received bad words and gestures, completetly unprovoked.

The same in South Korea.

Sometimes I don't understand long timers here. A lot of whines about Thailand are justified, but as I understand 20 years ago there even wasn't such thing as taxi meter. Some more balanced long timers in Bangkok told me that literally every time you hailed a taxi you had to haggle and most of the time you'd be grossly overcharged. So, how can things be getting worse? I don't get it? I think things are getting much better thanks to camera phones and social media. I'm sorry Japanese guy, but things won't change overnight in Thailand. It's pretty darn good and much better than when I came here 13 years ago as a tourist. Competition made rides and accommodation much cheaper than before.

3 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Sometimes I don't understand long timers here. A lot of whines about Thailand are justified, but as I understand 20 years ago there even wasn't such thing as taxi meter. Some more balanced long timers in Bangkok told me that literally every time you hailed a taxi you had to haggle and most of the time you'd be grossly overcharged. So, how can things be getting worse? I don't get it? I think things are getting much better thanks to camera phones and social media. I'm sorry Japanese guy, but things won't change overnight in Thailand. It's pretty darn good and much better than when I came here 13 years ago as a tourist. Competition made rides and accommodation much cheaper than before.

Actually the taxi in Bangkok when I first came in 1969 indeed did have meters - and taxi drivers had a dress code including a hat - the meter provided a resting place for the hat and both were almost never used.  Haggle was a part of the culture and not reserved to taxi fares; but for most tourists a major pain.  

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually the taxi in Bangkok when I first came in 1969 indeed did have meters - and taxi drivers had a dress code including a hat - the meter provided a resting place for the hat and both were almost never used.  Haggle was a part of the culture and not reserved to taxi fares; but for most tourists a major pain.  

Really?

Pics or it didn't happen :)

How much was a 20km ride?

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have been riding taxi here for over 40 years and believe 98 to 99% have been fine.  But yes there are always exceptions - especially when fare is as cheap as it is here.

Assume you never had the pleasure of Japanese taxi drivers in the 60's?  Lived 2 years on Hokkaido using below and running full tilt over the back dirt roads was an adventure like none other.

ari47067_0.jpg

I wasn't alive in the 60's in Japan.

Meters had been a requirement (all had if legal taxi) but believe they gave up on them during the 70's until they mandated them about 25 years ago, when they also required cars to be of recent vintage.  In the old days you had to be careful getting in and out and floorboards were often rusted out as streets were often flooded for weeks and water above floor during some drives.

Edited by lopburi3

2 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I Iive in Bangkok for over 20y and I take several taxis per week often to Don Mueang. I can tell you that most of the taxi drivers are driving very dangerously with cars that are very poorly maintained. I really fear for my life. On the rare occasions I get a friendly responsible driver, I am so happy I give him at least 100thb tip. Grab taxi is no solution, first of all after reservation they always call you for confirmation why?? They sometimes find the way where to pick you up but seldom use gps to get to the destination. Thai drivers in general can’t read maps. So I do follow the OP’s concerns but as so many others already mentioned, the 50thb extra is normal and is mentioned on the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thank you. However the poor attitude I received such as having my luggages thrown off the cab for no reason(I'm always extremely courteous) is just too ugly. 

I have just returned from a necessary trip to Bangkok (how people live there is beyond me) and a lot of time was spent in taxis. All of them were hailed by the stepdaughter who knows here way around the city. About 50% of those hailed refused the fare (did they not know the way?), of those that accepted 50% did not know the way. The condition of the vehicles varied from new to one with no shock absorbers. The worst was a guy who was on some sort of pills and totally out of it.

Overall an unpleasant experience but I am used to a quieter country life.

1 minute ago, Hiro357 said:

Thank you. However the poor attitude I received such as having my luggages thrown off the cab for no reason(I'm always extremely courteous) is just too ugly. 

Did you pay extra for your luggage service?

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

there is a learning curve to living everywhere.... just because you don't know that there is a 50 baht surcharge, does not make the driver a thief and imagine just how crappy you made his thankless job by squabbling over 50 baht that you legitimately owed to him and he trusted would be paid at the end of the trip... I know you are probably a great guy, but in this instance, you were the one cheating him  -- when on an airport trip you should have been giving at least that in a tip...

I don't know of any major city that has near as cheap a taxi system... I am sorry that you are frustrated. If you don't get a little more knowledge, and make some adjustments, you are going to have some long days... go get a massage... 

Sorry I noticed a typo in my last reply. During the ride I was extremely polite. It's AFTER the ill treatments that I've become frustrated. Cause, effect? I didn't care much about the surplus charge, but overall how everytime I try to go somewhere the cab would expect me to know how to get there. And even when I try to be helpful, they still seem very clueless. 

Edited by Hiro357

2 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

You may have discovered the root of the problem yourself, they think you are Chinese. There have been several well reported cases of Chinese either without money or refusing to pay the whole fare. As I am sure you know the Chinese are not generally warmly welcomed here.

Next time tell the driver you are " a Japanese who wished he had money", and see what the reaction is.

I don't even look Chinese. But everyone here compliments on my white skin which is odd. Although I'm considered pale even back in Japan. 

So I'm wondering why are the Chinese hated so much in Thailand? Or just Chinese tourists?

everytime I try to go somewhere the cab would expect me to know how to get there. And even when I try to be helpful, they still seem very clueless. 

Which is no fault of the taxi driver but the result of Thai land numbering system - you find locations here by landmarks as house numbers have little or nothing to do with streets - and attempts in recent years to re-number have not been very successful.  If you have the name of a major hotel/building all is good but without that you will often have to provide directions.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Which is no fault of the taxi driver but the result of Thai land numbering system - you find locations here by landmarks as house numbers have little or nothing to do with streets - and attempts in recent years to re-number have not been very successful.  If you have the name of a major hotel/building all is good but without that you will often have to provide directions.

I see. Could anyone tell me about how the house numbers work? They are usually two numbers like 234/51...What does it mean and why?

8 hours ago, Hiro357 said:

Last thing. The driver who took me from the airport to my hotel( I got the number from the airport which appointed me to a cab standing by), insisted in charging me 50 Baht(or another amount i can't remember) more. And kept pointed at the ticket saying it should be that way. I already paid for the toll fares proir btw. In the end I gave up and let him keep the money. Then he kept saying I was from China as if that was some kind of insult?!

I love your story, always wondered what the japanese would think of the Thai....Thailand is totally the opposit of Japan, never forget that.

At the airport you pay 50 baht for getting the taxi, if they use tollway you pay extra for that in advance while driving...at the destination they never lift your luggage unless they expect a good tip...(not in your case because you made problems about the tollway-fare already).

And you have to learn to pay with big money in official shops, always make sure you can pay taxi's or markets in the exact amount so you won't need any change.

Your english is very good for a japanese though, don't expect any Thai to speak/write english at your level..

Just take it easy in Thailand, sure not all are trying to scam you but always be aware of it..they are just slow, can't count, don't give a poop, and can't be bothered for anything. The price is better than in japan isn't it? I prefer to pay the japanese price though if i get the same high quality service .

So you have seen BKK a bit now, go upcountry to some village/city and you won't believe what you'll see there...don't forget to make pictures/movies to show us! 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not taking anything of the OP refutations, and just want to add that

the taxi industry inherently is and always have been and will be fraught with

rouge and unruly operators, and Thailand is now way up the top 10

of the most dangerous taxi rides in the world i have come to know

and experienced....  

Nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Hiro357 said:

Never been. But cabs in my home country as well as in London have been very professional.

Indeed they are professional - but they are charging 5 times the price.

3km taxi fare June 2017

$1.76-$2,94 Bangkok

$9.08-$11.80 Tokyo

$10.39-$15.58 London

https://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world-taxi-prices-what-a-3-kilometer-ride-costs-in-72-big-cities/

4 hours ago, Hiro357 said:

That's just sad.

Do Thais not know how to read a map?

The reason I started using maps is because they never know my destination and keep taking me around a loop.

Maybe that is because they don't understand how you speak, you need to be able to tell them your destination clearly, if you can't do that, it's your problem.