Hailstone in Pattaya last night... Never ever seen that before

Huayrat

It was a superb storm.... loads of thunder, lightning and almost torrential rain. I opened the curtains, switched off the overhead fan and watched it from the comfort of my bed. I think that many high buildings here will be checking their lightning conductor.protection systems after last night.

6 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

You not been here long enough.

seen it a few times in the past.

4 hours ago, Huayrat said:

8 years not seen it.. Thais also said never saw it before.. Up North yes but not pattaya

I have seen it a couple of times in the last 4 years or so although did not see it last night as fortunately stayed in.

Just now, tolsti said:

It was a superb storm.... loads of thunder, lightning and almost torrential rain. I opened the curtains, switched off the overhead fan and watched it from the comfort of my bed. I think that many high buildings here will be checking their lightning conductor.protection systems after last night.

Did not seem as bad/heavy as the one 2 weeks ago or so - but maybe just because it was not directly overhead where I am.

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Did not seem as bad/heavy as the one 2 weeks ago or so - but maybe just because it was not directly overhead where I am.

In Central Pattaya it was pretty heavy. Naklua got hit also but not just with the rain but the wind.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

There was, and never had been, hail. Do you guys even understand science?

No i don't.

I could have been mistaken and it could have been  Songkrain on one occasion. and possible I was hit on the bike twice with the remnants of a Slush puppie thrown out the window of a passing vehicle,   by a lovely Chinese child,

(Thai's would never do that sort of thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :cheesy:

Who knows.

Anything is possible in pattaya / Jomtien /  Thailand.

its Amazing Thailand,   you know.

But feel free the floor is yours. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

15 hours ago, balo said:

Power went off for 4 hours after I saw lightning hit the ground 200 meters away.

Power went off for quite a few devices never to return  in my place when lightening hit in the garden a few weeks ago!

Never seen hail in Thailand, saw it many times in the Middle East, it damaged loads of new cars in showrooms as it was golf ball to cricket ball sized.

Just in case posters want to know, hail is produced in thunderstorms but with certain conditions. Hail is usually produced in the cumulonimbus clouds which are the thick rain carrying clouds.

Atmospheric Phenomena: Best photos of Cumulonimbus Clouds

One of the requirements for hail, or hailstone if it reaches the ground, is a strong updraft of damp into the cloud.

18 hours ago, balo said:

Power went off for 4 hours after I saw lightning hit the ground 200 meters away.

Same here. We must be in the same place in Naklua. Everything nearby was unaffected. I missed the best part of Southampton v West Brom.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Just in case posters want to know, hail is produced in thunderstorms but with certain conditions. Hail is usually produced in the cumulonimbus clouds which are the thick rain carrying clouds.

Atmospheric Phenomena: Best photos of Cumulonimbus Clouds

One of the requirements for hail, or hailstone if it reaches the ground, is a strong updraft of damp into the cloud.

Did you ever read the (true) story from Germany many years ago when three guys decided to fly into one in gliders ?

The gliders started breaking up because of the incredible wind forces inside the cloud and the 3 guys baled on parachutes. They were swept around inside the cloud, because of massive updrafts etc, for quite a while.

Only one survived to reach the ground, second one landed but died soon after from exposure and the third hit the ground already dead from cold.

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Did you ever read the (true) story from Germany many years ago when three guys decided to fly into one in gliders ?

The gliders started breaking up because of the incredible wind forces inside the cloud and the 3 guys baled on parachutes. They were swept around inside the cloud, because of massive updrafts etc, for quite a while.

Only one survived to reach the ground, second one landed but died soon after from exposure and the third hit the ground already dead from cold.

That was a silly thing to do wasn't it !!

9 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Stupid will always be stupid.

The story of the three guys was in a book we used in studies and one of my mates in the class laughed as we read it, he explained his laugh by saying, can you imagine the guy getting close to coming out of the cloud and thinking thank god for that and then being caught up again and thinking Oh sh-t not again maybe 3 or 4 times.

As students we found it funny.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Nowadays the term they use is 'cloud suck'  there are still reports of paragliders being killed the same way. So people are just as stupid now as they were before.

Well, this could be said of many things but it is human to think of defying natural forces. Even cities are built where it is well known that seismic disturbances can violent; or at, or close to, the base of active volcano. On the lighter side, has anyone here bought their ticket for the one way trip to Mars? Or is that stupid too...I wonder, Ha!

17 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well, this could be said of many things but it is human to think of defying natural forces. Even cities are built where it is well known that seismic disturbances can violent; or at, or close to, the base of active volcano. On the lighter side, has anyone here bought their ticket for the one way trip to Mars? Or is that stupid too...I wonder, Ha!

Boils down to the old 'only happens to other people' thinking.

??