Go home, Tillerson tells Iranian-backed militias in Iraq

webfact

35 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Ummm...the US is there by invitation of the "democratically" elected government.  Or did you miss that part? 

I guarantee Rex knows more about international law than you do.

The US is there because they tell the installed government they want to be.

6 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

The US is there because they tell the installed government they want to be.

Ya didn't do any research did ya....

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There are no Iranian militias in Iraq ! There are Iraqi militias advised by Iranian  advisors.  These militias can not go home, they are already home.

If Tillerson does not want advisors there he should start by removing his.

Please, read some of my links.  There are Iranian militias as well as Iranian military units in Iraq.  The militias are from Iran, not Iraq.  So they can go home.

I posted some very good links describing the incredibly complex mess in that area.  No easy answers.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Ummm...I'm well aware and well informed why they didn't have relations for 25 years.  What I posted is true.  I didn't go into the details of why. 

Iran has a huge influence on Iraq.  For better or sometimes for worse.  They did help with IS.  What this is about is what's next.  And if you follow history, it won't be good.

http://www.understandingwar.org/report/resurgence-asaib-ahl-al-haq

This is one of the problems.  Iran wants to dominate Iraq.  Not necessarily a good think.  I sure hope you agree with that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/15/world/middleeast/iran-iraq-iranian-power.html

If you're aware of the reasons, then why did you post it since it is evidence that goes exactly against the point you were trying to make?

??? what game !!!

everyday showing Iran as a danger and inviting Arab countries to buy more arms and weapons, fighter jets that are  already obsoleted. 

There is a record of selling weapons by U.K. and US to Arab countries in last few years. 

Iran Islamic regim was created at the time of Mr Carter presidency ( a game that was called "revolution against Iran King") and left to raise for about 40 years, just like Mr Carter corn farm. 

The game is still going on. 

Edited by Foozool

20 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Ya didn't do any research did ya....

Please, read some of my links.  There are Iranian militias as well as Iranian military units in Iraq.  The militias are from Iran, not Iraq.  So they can go home.

I posted some very good links describing the incredibly complex mess in that area.  No easy answers.

35 minutes ago, Foozool said:

??? what game !!!

everyday showing Iran as a danger and inviting Arab countries to buy more arms and weapons, fighter jets that are  already obsoleted. 

There is a record of selling weapons by U.K. and US to Arab countries in last few years. 

Iran Islamic regim was created at the time of Mr Carter presidency ( a game that was called "revolution against Iran King") and left to raise for about 40 years, just like Mr Carter corn farm. 

And a record of Russia selling weapons to Iran.  And France to blah, blah, blah.  And the UK, China, etc, to the same.  It is a game.  A deadly one.  And all major countries are into it.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Agreed.  But the US doesn't have a presence in Iraq anywhere near what Russia does in Syria.  And in Iraq, they do seem to be really going after ISIS rather than anybody opposed to the government.

It'd be great for all belligerents to leave.  Sadly, ISIS is a big problem.  Not an easy one to deal with.

In terms of troop numbers, figures are comparable (at least those available). Russia does have more hardware (aircraft and such) in Syria, whereas the USA utilizes regional bases in neighboring countries. 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

There are no Iranian militias in Iraq ! There are Iraqi militias advised by Iranian  advisors.  These militias can not go home, they are already home.

If Tillerson does not want advisors there he should start by removing his.

There are Iranian "volunteers", Iranian "advisors", and Iranian units in Iraq.

If the USA was to remove it's military presence, you can safely bet on Iran extending it's own rather than reciprocating.

1 hour ago, Foozool said:

??? what game !!!

Pretty much all countries in the region are arming themselves, and that includes Iran. The systems purchased are not, generally speaking, obsolete. As pointed out, these were good years for the arms trade (with regard to the ME), with quite a bit of the action going Russia's way.

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

The US is there at the invitation of the government. 

As were the Iranians.

What will the US do if Iraq tells the US to leave the country (as it has done once before) while Iranian military are allowed to remain? Such a scenario may occur as the axis of Iran-Iraq-Turkey pursue to dominate politics in the region to resist Saudi Arabia, et al.

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Why?  The US is there at the invitation of the government.  And you know what's going to happen when the IS battles die down.  It will be back to sectarian violence.  Which happened in the past.

Time for the militias to go home and let the people of Iraq rebuild their country. 

Whose  invitation?  Which   militia? Sectarian  violence   was less of an issue  before  interference. No  winner.. As  usual !

10 hours ago, Srikcir said:

As were the Iranians.

What will the US do if Iraq tells the US to leave the country (as it has done once before) while Iranian military are allowed to remain? Such a scenario may occur as the axis of Iran-Iraq-Turkey pursue to dominate politics in the region to resist Saudi Arabia, et al.

Not all the militias are there with the formal approval of the government.  A tacit approval perhaps.

If Iraq tells the US to leave, they'll do so just like they did in the Philippines.  For now, they are being asked to stay.

Support for Iran is split along a religious divide.  As has been the case for years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2015/mar/17/iran-viewed-from-iraq-fight-against-isis

Baghdad-based journalist Mustafa Habib explains popular Sunni perceptions of the Iran-backed Shiite militias fighting against Isis: “The Sunni population in those areas do not welcome the Shia militias, considering them potentially more violent than Isis,” says Habib. “Many politicians as well as educated or secular Iraqis also reject Iran’s role. They don’t want the Shiite militias to protect them at all costs either.”

Habib, who has good contacts inside the Iraqi military, says that Iraq’s Sunni are more inclined toward the US.

9 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Whose  invitation?  Which   militia? Sectarian  violence   was less of an issue  before  interference. No  winner.. As  usual !

Agreed.  That interference started over a century ago.  Here are the roots:

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/violence-islamic-societies-not-accident-82591034

History, not religion, has brought violence on Islamic societies

The introduction of the European state model and collapse of the Ottoman Empire, not Islam, is at the root of regional violence today

This is an excellent article if you truly want to understand the issues in the Middle East.  No easy answers.

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/egypt-religious-root-conflicts-middle-east

Both Shia and Sunnis believe the other is trying to extinguish their sect — and this is one of the many reasons the violence has increased.

Governments in the region — particularly Shia Iran, and Sunni Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates — fuel this perception because it serves their geopolitical interests. All these governments want the sect they lead to have more power in the Middle East.

It's all about power.

35 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not all the militias are there with the formal approval of the government.  A tacit approval perhaps.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2015/mar/17/iran-viewed-from-iraq-fight-against-isis

Clearly you and the person who posted this have a serious disagreement:

"Time for the militias to go home and let the people of Iraq rebuild their country. "

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Clearly you and the person who posted this have a serious disagreement:

"Time for the militias to go home and let the people of Iraq rebuild their country. "

Not sure I understand?  The article is pretty good.  It is time for the militia to go home, though sectarian issues are preventing that.

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Here we go again: But not for the USA?

If you read my previous post, which you obviously didn't before posting, is that I agree all should leave.

Post #25 if you decide to take the time....

Edited by craigt3365

18 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

Your last point is so true.

The reason is probably because in so many cases their national boundaries were imposed on them by western countries after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

Western Countries? I thought it was the British as they pulled back West of the Suez.

5 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Western Countries? I thought it was the British as they pulled back West of the Suez.

It was the British.  Along with France and Russia.  The genesis for many problems we're experiencing today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes–Picot_Agreement

The Sykes–Picot Agreement /ˈsks pi.k/, officially known as the Asia Minor Agreement, was a secret 1916 agreement between the United Kingdom and France,[1] to which the Russian Empire assented. The agreement defined their mutually agreed spheres of influence and control in Southwestern Asia. The agreement was based on the premise that the Triple Entente would succeed in defeating the Ottoman Empire during World War I.