Back to Thailand after getting a 3 year ban

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If he's allowed in, and it's later discovered that he's banned, it would be straight to the IDC. He is banned, not his old passport, and if he is in the country illegally he could be imprisoned for up to 2 years. I would imagine conning your way back in wouldn't go down well.

How do you work that out?  If, as unlikely as it is, he is ever given permission to stay before the ban expires by an Immigration Officer and stamped into the country after presenting his legitimate passport then he is then here legally.  Where's the con in that situation?

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How do you work that out?  If, as unlikely as it is, he is ever given permission to stay before the ban expires by an Immigration Officer and stamped into the country after presenting his legitimate passport then he is then here legally.  Where's the con in that situation?

If he somehow got in as you describe, and if his original identity was later discovered by Thai authorities, are you saying you don't think they'd do anything about it?   I'm guessing not - so are you saying you'd bet they would never figure out his original identity? 

If you were him, and really liked it in Thailand, would you try to come back before the ban ended?  Or would you wait it out, and come back when it's all good?  For me, that question is a no-brainer.

25 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Maybe relevant.  The OP may have another overstay in his future if he has the propensity to do so.  

Definitely not even maybe relevant, unless it's just to satisfy your own curiosity.   How can some unknown event in the future affect anything?  Does having one overstay indicate a propensity?

54 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

It's not even slightly irrelevant.  Why don't you explain how it could be? 

By the way it IS mine and other posters business to know this so if your answer is " It's none of your business" please don't use that lame answer. 

actually nobody owes you anything.  you just think they do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobalolo said:

I can get a new one, or a new passport from a different country.

The question is will they know I am the same person? I do not mind changing my name on a different country passport (or the same country). How sophisticate are they anyway? 

If I try to cross from a land border what is the worst that they can do if they find out?

This all sounds very illegal when you talk about changing your name in a different country. To be honest I would be doubtful of letting you back in the country 10 years from now with the suggestions you are considering.

Why were you on overstay to start with and please don't say you forgot no one will believe that

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If he somehow got in as you describe, and if his original identity was later discovered by Thai authorities, are you saying you don't think they'd do anything about it?   I'm guessing not - so are you saying you'd bet they would never figure out his original identity? 

If you were him, and really liked it in Thailand, would you try to come back before the ban ended?  Or would you wait it out, and come back when it's all good?  For me, that question is a no-brainer.

I'm not describing anything other than his turning up at Immigration with his legitimate passport.  All this is hypothetical but, as I said before, in the unlikely event of being stamped in then that IO has given him permission to stay. 

There's no issue about him using another identity as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not trying to suggest a way for him to enter illegally, I originally responded to a poster who claimed that if he did try to enter he'd be sent to IDC and that wouldn't happen.

Yeah, and given some of his thoughts, he ought to be out of here for good.  He was given a 3 year ban, now wants to come back in and is prepared to do so illegally.  I wonder why, maybe there's a lot more to this than meets the eye?  If that how he wants to operate, than I'd say away you go, no advice and try your luck.  No wonder Thais think they way they do about some Farangs,they fully justified given this little episode.:wai:
Haha your kidding? Nobody breaks laws like thais do.

4 hours ago, bobalolo said:

The question is will they know I am the same person? I do not mind changing my name on a different country passport (or the same country). How sophisticate are they anyway? 

If I try to cross from a land border what is the worst that they can do if they find out?

All this talk about false passports changing names etc, have you ever been in a Thai jail?  You overstayed you obviously knew you overstayed, you must have known the penalties  for this , you done the crime now pay the fine

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobalolo said:

They won't do anything, they just won't let you in. 

There's no law against changing your name and getting another countries passport as long as the passport is legal. My friend did this. Been back for many years and never did anything wrong again. 

Go for it. 

I know a fella who got deported for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (Police conducted a raid on an office and charged everyone with working without a permit even though he was just meeting a friend)

He paid 250000 baht to a fixer (who I presume bribed a court official to remove the blacklisting) and was back in the country 2 months later like nothing had happened.

5 hours ago, bobalolo said:

If you using another passport with same name they will still track you down through date of birth.

I know this from personal experience.

But if using another LEGAL passport with different name, you won't have any problems.

55 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Classic farang paranoia

They're indifferent to our presence which is better than the attitude of people in our countries towards foreigners.

I think we're just too damn entitled - Southeast Asia got over the "novelty" of the farang quite some time ago much to the chagrin of those with that dated (and pretty pathetic) colonial attitude. 

Frankly, we should be revelling in their indifference.

Bingo right there!

The fact you were not cought but you turned youreself in is interesting

We  have lots of wet backs from where i am from . They got that name swimming across the boarder.

They get cought deported and swim back in the next day

Not saying thats what you should do because thats illegal , but seems to work ok in my country

6 hours ago, bobalolo said:

Another country's passport under a different name would likely allow you to circumvent the checks. That said, once you successfully enter, if later discovered, you will be prosecuted for illegal entry and (among other things) a lifetime ban is pretty inevitable.

If they detect that you are blacklisted, at a land border they will probably just refuse to let you enter, and you will return to the country you just came from. As stated above, the most serious consequences might come if you enter successfully.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I'm not describing anything other than his turning up at Immigration with his legitimate passport.  All this is hypothetical but, as I said before, in the unlikely event of being stamped in then that IO has given him permission to stay. 

There's no issue about him using another identity as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not trying to suggest a way for him to enter illegally, I originally responded to a poster who claimed that if he did try to enter he'd be sent to IDC and that wouldn't happen.

He has been banned, his passport wasnt banned

Even getting a new passport, he will still be the same person that is banned

Getting a different passport doesnt make you a different person

• Like 2

This won't even be a talking point once biometrics come in but, for now, a change of name and a new passport will likely sort him out.

Personally, I think he should man up, take his lumps and serve out his ban; it's only been 3 months.

Is life really that bad in his country?

The authorities gave people ages to step up before they pulled the trigger on the blacklisting.

Dunno about this bloke but some people seem to think "it's only Thailand so we don't really have to take their laws seriously, do we?"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:
3 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:
Yeah, and given some of his thoughts, he ought to be out of here for good.  He was given a 3 year ban, now wants to come back in and is prepared to do so illegally.  I wonder why, maybe there's a lot more to this than meets the eye?  If that how he wants to operate, than I'd say away you go, no advice and try your luck.  No wonder Thais think they way they do about some Farangs,they fully justified given this little episode.:wai:

Haha your kidding? Nobody breaks laws like thais do.

If I was kidding than I wouldn't have posted.  We happen to be discussing a Farang so what has the bringing of Thais into the equation got to do with the price of eggs.  If we were talking about Thais, then I would mention them but as we're not, then I didn't.:wai:

• Like 1

if you are a quality tourist, i think the ban can get reversed, for maybe 5000 dollars, (contact an embassy- approved lawer in advance by email)  but if you are a cheap charly, better forget it. in thailand almost everything can be settled with money, big money. dont forget, prostitution is illegal there, but who cares?

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

He has been banned, his passport wasnt banned

Even getting a new passport, he will still be the same person that is banned

Getting a different passport doesnt make you a different person

You might want to read this part of my post that you are responding to..."I'm not describing anything other than his turning up at Immigration with his legitimate passport."

For the record, and for the benefit of any other posters that for some reason cannot read what I wrote, I know that he's been banned.  I also know that his passport wasn't banned.

I didn't mention his getting a new passport.  I know that he will be the same person that is banned. I know that getting a different passport doesn't make someone a different person.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You might want to read this part of my post that you are responding to..."I'm not describing anything other than his turning up at Immigration with his legitimate passport."

For the record, and for the benefit of any other posters that for some reason cannot read what I wrote, I know that he's been banned.  I also know that his passport wasn't banned.

I didn't mention his getting a new passport.  I know that he will be the same person that is banned. I know that getting a different passport doesn't make someone a different person.

Yes, but my point was that even if he did show up with a new PP and got given permission to stay, he would still be in Thailand illegally, due to his three year ban , contrary to what you said