Prayut warns some areas must be sacrificed to floods

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

So your village is underwater now and that's the fault of the junta.....Was there no water falling from the sky??

Must be hard for you not to appear smug living in your Klong Toey mansion with your business woman (noodle seller?) wife.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When people were allowed to build in said "retention" areas, were they informed of that?

If not, then the government must compensate, and should rebuild those communities in non retention areas. I'm not holding my breath on that, though.

I don't know if they informed you. Can you read thai?

Our house also got flooded, will we get a new house now on higher land?? 

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

Why does the government have to be elected? This is thailand and elected governments lead to much unrest. riots and bombings, not to mention bribery of votes...

Were you also so smart to go living in a floodretention area??? 

A junta Sarah Huckabee. Fortunately most Thais want election not a facist like you. You know before hand where the flood retention areas are or just hot air again.  

1 minute ago, Becker said:

Must be hard for you not to appear smug living in your Klong Toey mansion with your business woman (noodle seller?) wife.

So far our house isn't flooded this year, maybe it has to do with the fact this land was raised before they started building??  Yup that wasn't cheap.....and all paid ourself.

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

A junta Sarah Huckabee. Fortunately most Thais want election not a facist like you. You know before hand where the flood retention areas are or just hot air again.  

So you don't know where the higher land is located in Thailand?? And you can't find out before finding a place to live??

And who is sarah??

So you think all Thai want to get 500 baht for their vote again?? And after that come to BKK to put it on fire again?

1 minute ago, Thian said:

So you don't know where the higher land is located in Thailand?? And you can't find out before finding a place to live??

And who is sarah??

So you think all Thai want to get 500 baht for their vote again?? And after that come to BKK to put it on fire again?

Troll warning.:post-4641-1156693976:

41 minutes ago, Thian said:

Which people? The smart farang who bought a house in the flooding area's of thailand? Why my wife has to pay tax to give them money for the damage ?? We also left the area when ours in BKK was flooded...

Did he BUY the house, or is it the family's that has lived there for generations? Perhaps there was no flooding before they built dams, or it was less. Were a lot of buildings constructed without proper drainage being installed? Were forests cleared to build houses or businesses?

Insulting posts are not a substitute for reasoned debate and information gathering.

If the "government" has been doing flood prevention work, why is it not in evidence in Chiang Mai city, where a klong near where I am staying has not been dredged, and the drains on the roads have not been cleared.

If posts from the Pattaya sub forum are anything to go by, nothing has been done there either.

19 minutes ago, Ossy said:

I was about to give up on you, Robblok, after your offensive opening line, but then you mellowed and actually corroborated my fact-based contention that too little was done too late . . . thank you for that. Your next sentence brought both a smile and a frown to my face; a smile, at 'letting too much water out will cause floodings' . . . yes, I think most of us get that, and the frown, at 'the draining was already in full swing last month'. That's where we could come to blows, since my Oct 14 Googlings made it unquestionably clear that there had been no proper control over reservoir water releases, making it impossible to prevent the imminent filling of the res's, thus exacerbating the flooding by Chao Phraya and its tributaries, downstream of them. Are we getting nearer to consensus, here?

As for you last paragraph, besides the FACT that there wasn't a vast amount of rain in the NE region, prior to the late July floods, there are reservoirs and dams. The severe flooding, there, was similarly put down to lax reservoir management at Nam Un dam and 'clogged drainage' between the Nong Han lake and the Mekong, resulting in their being able to contain the sudden heavy deluge. My village, between Udon T and Sakon Nakhon, experienced the worst floods in living memory, thanks to Nam Un waters, whilst Sak-Nak was hit from all directions and flooded, literally within minutes of the deluge of Thu eve, 27 July; again, floods the like of wh hadn't been seen before.

(*) Another smile, here, with the mighty Mekong running along the entire eastern edge of Isan. 'Little drainage', eh . . . please don't wave the 'sprouting BS' stick at me, Robblok. I'd have said 'spouting' myself, but each to his own.

I am not spouting B.S there were articles stating there was little drainage in the NE, because of the lay of the land (mainly flat) You need a gradient to have successful drainage. This is no something I made up but read in the Newspaper articles, also it was said the NE was never hit like this before. The main dams are NOT in the NE.

NO we don't agree about the drainage, it was in full swing last month with many newspaper articles supporting this and many people complaining that the dams were letting out water as it made it worse. So I can confirm that this was already happening long before now. 

Your area got shafted, but that does not mean they did not drain the dams in other area's I have been mainly focussing on the dams that drain in the Chao Praya not the Mekong as the Mekong does not flow to BKK (I live around BKK). 

I did read about the problems in the North east with some dams giving in, this was NOT the case in other places. 

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did he BUY the house, or is it the family's that has lived there for generations? Perhaps there was no flooding before they built dams, or it was less. Were a lot of buildings constructed without proper drainage being installed? Were forests cleared to build houses or businesses?

Insulting posts are not a substitute for reasoned debate and information gathering.

If the "government" has been doing flood prevention work, why is it not in evidence in Chiang Mai city, where a klong near where I am staying has not been dredged, and the drains on the roads have not been cleared.

If posts from the Pattaya sub forum are anything to go by, nothing has been done there either.

That is the job of the local government not the central one. 

56 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Point of order: It's the responsibility of the claimant to back up their claims.  That's just basic courtesy.  Presumably you just visited those cites to get the information you used in your post.  So, since you're already there, how much extra effort does it take to just drop a link into the post you're making?  This makes people responsible for fact checking, instead of just relying on "I remember way back when" or  "I seem to recall" data.

413614177.jpg

Please teacher . . . look up the difference between 'point of view' and 'claim'. I made no claims in my OP, merely points of view, based on recalled forum threads and Google research at the time of the BKK floods. I have neither the time nor the sense of duty - responsibility, you say - to delve for these, again. Surely, if one poster has cause to doubt another's words, his best line of supporting that doubt would be to provide contradicting evidence, himself. Great cartoon, though

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is the job of the local government not the central one. 

If it is not a central government role, then what is the central government doing to make a difference. From the evidence, sod all, except letting out a lot of water to make it worse.

Where are the major diversion canals from above Bkk direct to the sea? If they can seize land to build an unnecessary high speed train, they can seize land to build necessary flood diversion canals.

51 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Not necessarily.  Look at what they've got to deal with:  a giant city sitting on a river delta flood plain.  My 2 cent's worth:   MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND !

BKK is doomed. Cannot move it anywhere. Just let it fall into the basin.

Water management in a country like Thailand is big planning, big investmant and constant re-appraisal and maintenance.

37 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

4 satellite cities were in the master plan back in 2003. Nakon Nayok was designated as 1 and modeled on a Japanese Tanea district. Then the disastrous coup and we never heard of it again. Military can't plan and have very little vision except to enrich themselves at the people's expense. 

I do like this Eric.

Hua Hin; capital for culture

Pattaya; capital of tourism

Chang Mai; capital for China relations

Khon Kaen; capital for silk products and general weaving

Nong Khai; capital for Thailand's administaration

Awsome!!

Edited by owl sees all

50 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Not necessarily.  Look at what they've got to deal with:  a giant city sitting on a river delta flood plain. 

New Orleans springs to mind... minus Katrina, they were doing quite well, weren’t they?

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

New Orleans springs to mind... minus Katrina, they were doing quite well, weren’t they?

There's a huge difference in the economics of keeping water out of a city where the GDP per capita is 5 x as high as Bangkok. 

Which is also why bringing in Euro experts from the Netherlands may not be viable.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it is not a central government role, then what is the central government doing to make a difference. From the evidence, sod all, except letting out a lot of water to make it worse.

Where are the major diversion canals from above Bkk direct to the sea? If they can seize land to build an unnecessary high speed train, they can seize land to build necessary flood diversion canals.

Local klongs are not central government its role everyone with half a brain knows that (or so I assumed). 

They are actually thinking of seizing land to make a canal near Ayuttaya so they can drain water faster to the sea. I for one hope that this will be done. However given the fact that the junta wont be in power much longer I doubt it. Its customary for new govermments to scrap old plans so they can get their brown enveloppes the end results is that nothing is done because it takes a long time to make real improvements. They usually span more then one government. 

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I do like this Eric.

Awsome!!

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok-masstransit-newcity.html

Actually 6 satellite cities were in the plan with roads and rail inks. Thailand wasted a decade and more procrastinating and in-fighting.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

There's a huge difference in the economics of keeping water out of a city where the GDP per capita is 5 x as high as Bangkok. 

Which is also why bringing in Euro experts from the Netherlands may not be viable.

True.. there is a cost to everything and if something is not economically viable (read its cheaper to let it flood and rebuild) then to have expensive water management.

Even in my country the Netherlands there are certain places that are outside protection zone's because its just not economically viable. 

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

BKK is doomed. Cannot move it anywhere. Just let it fall into the basin.

Water management in a country like Thailand is big planning, big investmant and constant re-appraisal and maintenance.

I do like this Eric.

Awsome!!

One could say.......... a hub of capitals?

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Actually 6 satellite cities were in the plan with roads and rail inks. Thailand wasted a decade and more procrastinating and in-fighting.

Right you are then Eric; need one more. Somewhere down south; Phuket perhaps. They could look after traffic control.

Thanks for adding some sanity to this thread.

15 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

One could say.......... a hub of capitals?

Like it SN!! And if you look at the map of Thailand and join the dots of the new capitals you get,,,, 

I like your flag too. England, England, England!!!

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

Oh yeh! . . . pull my other one. Farang instinct says "Kobchai talk gobshite"

Same same but different mate. Previous government said the same. Slightly different words but more or less the same.

"There won't be a flood, er, some areas have to be sacrificed for the greater good, you will get compensation. It's not our fault it's climate change and raining."

Last time people near me were flooded badly. We were very lucky not to be. I remember a big protest blocking the main road months later as people still hadn't been compensated. Government said money was sent to local government; local government said still waiting. Apparently was "lost" in the system! Yeah, right.

Same BS goes on and on and nothing is done.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Same same but different mate. Previous government said the same. Slightly different words but more or less the same.

"There won't be a flood, er, some areas have to be sacrificed for the greater good, you will get compensation. It's not our fault it's climate change and raining."

Last time people near me were flooded badly. We were very lucky not to be. I remember a big protest blocking the main road months later as people still hadn't been compensated. Government said money was sent to local government; local government said still waiting. Apparently was "lost" in the system! Yeah, right.

Same BS goes on and on and nothing is done.

How are the floods in your area now ? so far around here and other parts of BKK not much at all 2011 different story. I know some people near pattum thani also still not flooded while they were flooded in 2011. Seems to be either less than 2011 or different area's

But we did get compensation in 2011 (20.000 bt if i recall) 

@Eric Loh,

You said you were flooded in 2011... are you flooded now ? Do you think you will be flooded ?. So far it seems its either distributed different (more in the NE)  and / or the government did a good job by draining water from the dams before it became too bad. 

Still would be nice to see some new work being done.