Embarrassing! Thais turn on minivan after tourist's tortuous experience

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

'Thais turn on minivan.' I'm not sure what this means, but who cares. Why were these people not sitting in the very comfortable and spacious train? Do a little research before your trip you fools, and you will see that no sane person ever ever gets inside a long distance mini-van in Thailand.

train from Krabi?? with all the times you used  'very' I a surprised you forgot VERY SLOW. 

'Thais turn on minivan.' I'm not sure what this means, but who cares. Why were these people not sitting in the very comfortable and spacious train? Do a little research before your trip you fools, and you will see that no sane person ever ever gets inside a long distance mini-van in Thailand.

The trains are not fast enough.  Mini-buses only have 2 speeds  "flatout and stop"

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

An overnight minivan with no drinks trolley, food service or inflight movie. Call the press.

I very much doubt the bus went for 9 hours without a stop, it wouldnt even hold that much fuel.

The photo shows a central aisle, and well spaced seats so Its not a minivan anyway.

Edited by SunsetT

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

An overnight minivan with no drinks trolley, food service or inflight movie. Call the press.

I very much doubt the bus went for 9 hours without a stop, it wouldnt even hold that much fuel.

I agree with the fuel capability, but I travelled from Bangkok to Surat Thani on a  "VIP" bus once that broke down half a dozen times en route, and when we did stop at a services for fuel, the driver didn't open the doors - just took off for a cig while he was getting his fuel and then jumped back on board and set off again!

Thankfully, there was food (?)  water and toilet facilities on board! 

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh there are problems with train travel, but, if you have the time and aren’t too worried about the timetable, it is a great experience here.

I love the train journey between Hua Hin and Bangkok. 1020 baht for first class sleeper. 

Yes its a wonderful journey if u r asleep!

Problem for some people is they have no other choice than to risk their lives in these deathtraps

13 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Yes its a wonderful journey if u r asleep!

I enjoy reading, lying down and listening to music, looking out the window.

Sleeping a little as well of course.

Just nice to travel by train in comfort and privacy.

41 minutes ago, David Walden said:

The trip only Heu Hin to Bangkok only takes about 3 hrs according to the timetable.  Are you expecting a 10hr delay so you need to use the sleeper?

3 hours...ha ha ha, never been that quick.

I obviousley use the slower service and just enjoy the journey.

Edited by Bluespunk

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

You can travel mostly by train.

The journey involves a few (3 on a good day) hours by bus from Krabi and then you get a train from Surat Thani to Bangkok.  

Might not be direct but lot better than taking a bus for the whole journey. 

http://www.travelconnecxion.com/train_bangkok_suratthani.php

Charlie Connection Travel. A blast from the past. :smile: 

The second picture is inside an air-conditioned coach of approximately 45 seats which are all toilet equipped with a range of approximately 1200 kilometres per tank of fuel. Krabi to Bangkok no need to stop for fuel. Driver would not have to stop for his smoke as it is not illegal for the driver to smoke. This is not a minivan. But he must stop at check points as there are still driving restrictions so the majority of coaches have 2 drivers.

Regardless of the humerous posts, there is a more serious side to this story. The coach operator is seriously neglectful by not providing some comfort stops when operating a non-toilet equipped coach.

Would you travel on any form of transport, if beforehand you knew there was no toilet for the next 9 hours ?

It's really not a funny issue if you have a full bladder, or have eaten too much spicy pappaya salad, and there's no bog in sight for 9 hours.

If I were on board, and needed a rest stop.... I would insist on such, regardless of how verbose I needed to be. I find it rather hard to believe that the driver would refuse a reasonable request to stop... let alone the threat to pee over his shoulder

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Why would any vehicle especially a diesel or gas van need to refuel within 8 hours after a full tank ?

Been a few years since a had a car so maybe I'm mistaken

I have a Vigo. 70 litres @ 12km / litre is 840 km. Average 70 kph = 12 hours driving.

the lack of professionalism in this country is unparalled..I watched today as a lowlife speed boat operator,sat in his boat and smoked while an elderly indian couple (both in traditional indian dress) waded thru the ocean to get to his boat which clearly he was to lazy to back up...disgusting how some thais treat foriengers

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The railway line goes down the East side of the country and Krabi is on the West coast.   The nearest railway station is in Surat, three hours drive away.  Perhaps they did indeed do their research.  

The nearest station is in Trang, on the West coast, about 1.5 hours drive from Krabi.