The loungers have landed

champers

22 minutes ago, wump said:

So you don't think 300 Baht is taking the piss? You could nearly BUY one of these for the same amount. 

I always thought 30-50 Baht is okay for a chair (as is in 99% of Thai beaches)... Okay, so this is Phuket, let's fork out 100 Baht and deal with it.

But IMO 300 Baht cannot be justified in ANY way.

I can buy a few eggs at the market for 10 baht.  Add some other goodies and I'm up to 30 baht.  But still, the breakfast buffet for 1500 baht is jam packed full of people.  I won't be one of them.  And neither will you, apparently.

But if they can fill the place at 1500 baht, they'd be rather foolish to offer it at 100.  International tourism is full of possibilities that look ridiculous to some of us and irresistible to others.

Interesting article on P2 of one of the English language newspapers today. Feedback from several operators has found the new loungers to be uncomfortable and prone to falling over (3 big Leos does the same for me). Also, there are not enough of the new umbrellas and the green cushions on the loungers absorb heat. It appears the loungers are unsuitable for beach use; they are designed for hard surfaces.

I write this whilst sat on my old style deckchair, which will be replaced by a new lounger after today.

The good news: the donut seller is back on the beach. Two jammy ones for me, making it difficult to raise myself from said deckchair.

I wouldn't believe a word of what those operators say. They are not excited about spending the money

How would the chairs fall over? Sand has better grip than concrete.

And how could a mattress pad be more uncomfortable than the old chairs with the wood frame digging into the back of the knees

It's nonsense

27 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I wouldn't believe a word of what those operators say. They are not excited about spending the money

And how could a mattress pad be more uncomfortable than the old chairs with the wood frame digging into the back of the knees

It's nonsense

Well, they have already spent the money. If they are angling for a refund I hope they don't hold their breath waiting for it.

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

It's nonsense

My condo has those same chairs and mattresses. They are comfortable.  But if not in shade, when the sun heats them up after a bit they are extremely hot, so hot in fact it feels like a burn.

I haven't seen any changes on Jomtien Beach from my vantage point. Apparently the new beds don't work well in sand. The old white beds w/blue pads, canvas chairs, plastic chairs and old multi color umbrellas are all I've seen. Prices are the same. 

http://pattayaone.news/en/uncomfortable-fall-new-pattaya-beach-chairs/

The no smoking ban scheduled for November 1,has been rescheduled to February 1.

http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/government-defers-smoke-free-beaches-till-next-year-190515

Today used the new loungers at my usual concession for first time.....simply excellent. I cant believe that anyone would be complaining about the quality of the unit or the cushions.

Very sturdy and where these fruits have got "unstable" from on sand God alone knows. Not only are they comfortable they are huge improvement on the deckchairs.

Needless to say the first thing you do if the green cushion is in the sun, is turn it over. People complaining of being burnt simply ludicrous in the extreme.

Not all concessions have them yet rest of them due to get them over next 1-2 weeks.

Naturally price has gone up to 100 baht (only same as Koh Larn by the way) but soooooo much of an improvement. Beach was pristine with thais walking up and down on the sand and promenade looking for litter

Well done Pattaya well done the Junta a very simple improvement but appreciated by many. KISS principle at work simple as

Before someone says the price has doubled what did you pay for your company last night.....Exactly if you cant afford 50 baht extra then something wrong in your thinking and lifestyle

Edited by Chivas

Just an update on the last post......my concession mama who have known for years says shes never been so busy since the new loungers were introduced. Fly in the ointment for those that claimed nobody would use the beach.....of her 32 loungers 27 were in use at 3pm today saturday well pleased for her

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

Just an update on the last post......my concession mama who have known for years says shes never been so busy since the new loungers were introduced. Fly in the ointment for those that claimed nobody would use the beach.....of her 32 loungers 27 were in use at 3pm today saturday well pleased for her

Where is your section as I have not seen these new loungers or umbrellas near my area of Jomtien beach? The white loungers were loungers were always 100 baht so I don't know why people complain. 

12 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Where is your section as I have not seen these new loungers or umbrellas near my area of Jomtien beach? The white loungers were loungers were always 100 baht so I don't know why people complain. 

These are more or less bottom Soi 2/3 Pattaya beach. Not all concessions have them yet but those that havent are receiving them shortly