Thaivisa Phuket - the Wake

LivinginKata

Never mind Patong being 'the wake' .... what ever happened to the Phuket Forum. It's just dead, whole days go by without a post. Just no buzz here at all.

I wonder why ??? ...

Change in local demographics ....

Many old Phuket hands moved on given Immigration 'difficulties'....

Just no interest ....

21 years ago I was a member of a lively local Phuket forum, before Thaivisa existed, and after a few years that forum just withered away.  Is that now TV's fate ... ???

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Never mind Patong being 'the wake' .... what ever happened to the Phuket Forum. It's just dead, whole days go by without a post. Just no buzz here at all.

I wonder why ??? ...

Change in local demographics ....

Many old Phuket hands moved on given Immigration 'difficulties'....

Just no interest ....

21 years ago I was a member of a lively local Phuket forum, before Thaivisa existed, and after a few years that forum just withered away.  Is that now TV's fate ... ???

I could enunciate one of the forum's turnoffs, but it would be self defeating.

59 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Mmmmm  ... post about Thaivisa Phuket Forum ... what has that to do with estate agents ...

Mmmmmmmm..... maybe suggesting that lack of Foreign Buyers and Residents, which in turns, means less joining the Forum.....

It seems it really declined when the new owner took over. At least from my observation. Some members have moved away, many lost interest as there's not much going on. I mainly check to see if there's anything new with Phuket Immigration and a bit of local news. There's still a few of us that read and contribute. Glad to see we are still around! Cheers!

It is just a well known and prove fact: When LivinginKata left the moderatorship, the place just started dying. :w00t:

Seriously, I am burned out with tv but I come to it for the local going ons and national news. With so much info on the internet now, it is not  my news outlet anymore.

I agree with stevenl.  In general forums are dying out and more and more people are active in facebook groups, whether it's about a location like Phuket, or a hobby like knitting.  For anonymity, people like forums, but for sharing and meeting like minded people, fb groups are only growing.

Thoughts from an outsider looking in.

Although I am a newer member with few posts, I have been living in Phuket, and have been an avid reader (lurker) of TV for the past 8 years.

I used to scan many of the TV pages dozens of times a day, but spending most of my time in the Phuket/Phuket News forum.

There is some excellent information in the Phuket forum concerning 90 day reports, Patong Immigration, Phuket Immigration, up to date lists of current items required by immigration for extensions, and for that I am grateful.

That said, last December or January TV as a whole really pooped in their purse IMHO. As an avid reader, it became nearly impossible to quickly scan the pages for interesting threads. I believe those problems have been corrected, but as far as I am concerned it was a day late and a dollar short.

I drifted away and rarely come back, although I have made use of the computer/tech forum recently.

14 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Mmmmmmmm..... maybe suggesting that lack of Foreign Buyers and Residents, which in turns, means less joining the Forum.....

So are you saying that the previous long standing membership (some 15 years) have left and needs populated by new buyers/residents.  Bit of a stretch ... mai

Perhaps everything is just "same same" as they say in Thailand. 

Look at the news forum; most of the stories are the same as they have been for the past ten years: accidents, drug arrests, drownings, traffic issues, booze bans. When something new and interesting comes up it does sometimes stimulate a few responses, until it degenerates onto a completely different subject or generates an online argument between two or more posters!

In the Phuket general forum, maybe people use other sources to find out where to buy a goldfish or get a bikini wax in Phuket. It perhaps demonstrates the fact that interesting threads are few and far between when threads regarding the death of Patong, for example, appear on the front page for weeks and amount to thousands of posts! 

I still use TV as my Thailand news source; it's good to see the news condensed into one place, though currently, for obvious reasons, there are so many stickies that for the first time I read page 2! This should change soon. I also use it for Phuket news, though it can of course lag behind the email, Twitter and Facebook feeds from the original sources.

A few old names are no longer posting, others rarely post, newcomers don't appear to last very long. Even LiK "retired" at one point. And I have seen nothing of the current moderator in months!

The site seems to have regular server problems and too many ads but I still look at it a couple of times a day and will probably continue to do so.

No new interesting posts, mainly use the site for updates on immigration requirements from local people who actually use its services 

Many of the interesting posters have stopped posting topics and the purple circle is getting smaller all the time due to lack of interest, also facebook is becoming more popular all the time for social networking with no big brother watching 

51 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

No new interesting posts, mainly use the site for updates on immigration requirements from local people who actually use its services 

Many of the interesting posters have stopped posting topics and the purple circle is getting smaller all the time due to lack of interest, also facebook is becoming more popular all the time for social networking with no big brother watching 

I agree that the interesting posters have largely disappeared. I have at least two theories as to why, but any mention of either would result in my post being deleted.

Sad situation.

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

I agree that the interesting posters have largely disappeared. I have at least two theories as to why, but any mention of either would result in my post being deleted.

Sad situation.

No need to break forum rules to discuss this.

I suspect many of these 'interesting' posters broke the forum rules with abandon, flamed, trolled, attacked individual members. Maybe 'interesting' but not conducive to regular discussion.  

Edited by LivinginKata
spell check

10 hours ago, madmitch said:

Perhaps everything is just "same same" as they say in Thailand. 

Look at the news forum; most of the stories are the same as they have been for the past ten years: accidents, drug arrests, drownings, traffic issues, booze bans. When something new and interesting comes up it does sometimes stimulate a few responses, until it degenerates onto a completely different subject or generates an online argument between two or more posters!

In the Phuket general forum, maybe people use other sources to find out where to buy a goldfish or get a bikini wax in Phuket. It perhaps demonstrates the fact that interesting threads are few and far between when threads regarding the death of Patong, for example, appear on the front page for weeks and amount to thousands of posts! 

I still use TV as my Thailand news source; it's good to see the news condensed into one place, though currently, for obvious reasons, there are so many stickies that for the first time I read page 2! This should change soon. I also use it for Phuket news, though it can of course lag behind the email, Twitter and Facebook feeds from the original sources.

A few old names are no longer posting, others rarely post, newcomers don't appear to last very long. Even LiK "retired" at one point. And I have seen nothing of the current moderator in months!

The site seems to have regular server problems and too many ads but I still look at it a couple of times a day and will probably continue to do so.

Ahhhh Mitch.           I too remember the good old days. There was a time, TVF was so lively and interesting, I hardly found time to go to the toilet (irregular bowel-movements as a result).

- FB and other "social media" are taking it's toll on Forums.
- Or perhaps, the TVF community is like a couple married for 75 years: They have nothing meaningful to tell each other anymore.

For example: Everytime somebody dares to open a new thread in the "Pub" sub-forum, I find this a joyuos event. Leaving me torn between ordering a pompous cake from the local bakery or just opening a bottle of champagne to celebrate this rare event.
Cheers.

Sad situation.
I'll go ahead and tell you.
Phuketwan threatened to sue TV for libel unless TV banned some posters for the Alan Morrisson thread. Quite a few got the axe.
Hopefully you read this before it's taken down.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Phuketwan threatened to sue TV for libel unless TV banned some posters for the Alan Morrisson thread. Quite a few got the axe.

Even if that is true, plenty of posters have come back using new names after being banned; some more than once.

33 minutes ago, sebastion said:

I was one of the posters named by this character. Several others are also still posting under their same names.

The threads where a few home truths about the man were expressed were deleted.

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

I very much doubt this. Yes there was bad blood between these 2 parties but I know of no members being banned. Any member quoting the Wan would be disciplined as per the forum rule.  

Edited by LivinginKata

One possible reason for a lack of interest in this forum may relate to the increasing banality of some topics started by newbies.

See the Tesco thread as an example.

Yes, I know, LIK, if I don't like it I should start an interesting thread. .

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

One possible reason for a lack of interest in this forum may relate to the increasing banality of some topics started by newbies.

See the Tesco thread as an example.

Yes, I know, LIK, if I don't like it I should start an interesting thread. .

Nothing wrong with 'newbies' seeking local knowledge.  Often a quick Google search will provide the answer.

Clearly all the Phuket Immigration posts have a great deal of value to us long term residents.

I especially commend Dr Dave and xylophone for thir well composed (and colourful) obsevations of local Patong life.

Edited by LivinginKata

Simple reason. A lot of the regular posters have died of old age or left Thailand for good. 

The newer expats that have replaced them want nothing to do with this forum. In their mind ThaiVisa is just a bunch of old racist bigot sexpats who like to complain about everything (even if it is not really true for most subsections of the forum), and they don't want to be associated with them. And nowadays, for all practical questions about local life and commerce, Facebook groups are just good enough.

33 minutes ago, pistachios said:

Simple reason. A lot of the regular posters have died of old age or left Thailand for good. 

The newer expats that have replaced them want nothing to do with this forum. In their mind ThaiVisa is just a bunch of old racist bigot sexpats who like to complain about everything (even if it is not really true for most subsections of the forum), and they don't want to be associated with them. And nowadays, for all practical questions about local life and commerce, Facebook groups are just good enough.

I agree with you, they do not put up with the trolls and stalkers on Facebook who hang around on the lesser social web sites like TV

TV is still better for a few things like local up to date information which is not always accurate

I can expect a comment from the deckhand disagreeing with my opinion very soon if he is not on a visa run 

4 hours ago, pistachios said:

Jackanory, Jackanory.......