Aussie woman’s birthday trip to Thailand a ‘holiday from hell’ after horror scooter crash

webfact

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Well you are wrong wrt Thailand and it IS up to prospective renters to have some self responsibility. After all only THEY know whether or not they carry sufficient insurance or hold a valid motorcycle licence.  If they don't, perhaps they should stay home and not come here to break the laws.

I recall listening to an English tourist arguing with the police because he had been rented a bike without an IDP and was summarily being fined... he too felt it was the responsibility of the person renting out to police him and tell him the regulations, quite silly.

LOL- your "marginal" mind missed my point..sorry. First, you are assuming that people break 'the laws". That in itself  is laughable as Thai natives consistently violate traffic laws. Strike 1. Strike 2- you missed the point - which I stated that people who visit foreign countries are not familiar with all of the specifics (is that hard to understand?). And lastly, I could offer other examples of injuries or deaths where  either snorkeling, kite-skiing, etc. asks what precautions Thais have with regard to tourists. Like a detective (a foreign word with natives), I look for truth and not blaming people who are innocent.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, TMNH said:

LOL- your "marginal" mind missed my point..sorry. First, you are assuming that people break 'the laws". That in itself  is laughable as Thai natives consistently violate traffic laws. Strike 1. Strike 2- you missed the point - which I stated that people who visit foreign countries are not familiar with all of the specifics (is that hard to understand?). And lastly, I could offer other examples of injuries or deaths where  either snorkeling, kite-skiing, etc. asks what precautions Thais have with regard to tourists. Like a detective (a foreign word with natives), I look for truth and not blaming people who are innocent.

More personal attacks !

What Thais do is irrelevant! Thai driving standards are well known,

These people who visit 'foreign countries' come here with the deliberate action of not being insured, and then rent motorcycles in a dangerous environment, when likely they don't even have a licence.

What is this 'strike one' 'strike 2' nonsense?

I disagree, simple as that, If I changed my opinion then we would both be wrong.

Whenever there is a bus or lorry near me I'm ultra careful and move away if possible, their visibility isn't great.
Riding in Thailand I definitely go slower than in the UK plus it's different. A few things I've noticed so far:

- bikes pull out on the left whether a space or not, often without even looking.

- roundabouts there's often a stalemate where people aren't moving. Giving way to the right doesn't seem to work.

- at junctions with no traffic lights, a kinda unwritten rule applies where people just go after a while of waiting.

To be fair it mostly works well and most drivers / riders are careful. The drinkers are the worry and pick up trucks often go too fast.

9 hours ago, misterphil said:

I broke my leg too on my 30th birthday in Thailand. Full UK bike licence for many years and plenty of power bikes and motorcrosses in the UK.

I had no insurance here, drunk as hell. Was thrown in the back of a song teaw by 3 locals and taken to Pattaya memorial hospital. Cost 55,000 baht to screw and plate back together. Out in 3 days and back on my way home in 6. 

It doesn't matter if your Valentino Rossi these roads are dangerous and need to take very good care. 

God, you're proud that you drove "drunk as hell",having been a danger for many others at this time. Then you explain how easy it was to deal with your injury from your accident, in no way comparable to the injuries the girl from Aussieland is suffering. 

The plate they put in my leg was more than 100 K, no way to leave the hospital after only 3 days, and you should have mentioned in what condition you came home. Be honest, please. 

How can you  downplay driving under the influence of alcohol and that  having an accident isn't a big deal ? I had a big bike accident here, nothing was as you described. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

More personal attacks !

What Thais do is irrelevant! Thai driving standards are well known,

These people who visit 'foreign countries' come here with the deliberate action of not being insured, and then rent motorcycles in a dangerous environment, when likely they don't even have a licence.

What is this 'strike one' 'strike 2' nonsense?

I disagree, simple as that, If I changed my opinion then we would both be wrong.

Si "if" a dangerous environment, then do not rent motor bikes. What is that you do not get?

Again.....Thai businesses  have little restrictive criteria or safety guidelines. Different countries have statistics where tourists  are harmed....period. Safety precautions are not integral, so please stop to state otherwise.

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My travel insurance is voided if I ride a m'bike over a certain cc and if I don't have a valid m'bike licence and if I am not wearing a helmet. Some policies require an extra payment to cover m'bikes.

The real problem is that some tourists leave their brains at immigration.

It's past time for any tourist to require travel insurance on arrival, or be denied entry. Too many stories about tourist's family "desperately" trying to raise money because the injured person didn't have insurance.

Your effectively saying you want to ban tourists over 60 or anyone with an existing medical condition. Have you any idea how much travel insurance can cost for the elderly, £3,000 or more. 

19 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Your effectively saying you want to ban tourists over 60 or anyone with an existing medical condition. Have you any idea how much travel insurance can cost for the elderly, £3,000 or more. 

Travel insurance is available to older people and even those with pre-existing conditions. It is well advertised on UK TV. Your claim of insurance costing £3000 is ridiculous. I just found a quote for a 3 week holiday in Thailand for a 70 year old at £150!

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Travel insurance is available to older people and even those with pre-existing conditions. It is well advertised on UK TV. Your claim of insurance costing £3000 is ridiculous. I just found a quote for a 3 week holiday in Thailand for a 70 year old at £150!

Which is about over 2500 quid a year

even if you know how to ride a bike and are an excellent driver, thais simply do not drive safely...i lived in surat thani for a year, and my SO sold insurance...twice a month, she would attend funerals for clients that were killed in auto/bike accidents...each weekend she spent afternoons in the hospital, visiting clients who had been injured...and this was in a rather desolate part of the province...it was all quite sad because it was usually so preventable...if my personal experience is any reliable indication, more than half of all thais have been involved in an accident...

there is almost 20 years difference in the life expectancy of thais and koreans...i'm sure that a big part of that is traffic fatalities...

Another becoming unstuck in a foreign hell hole , for that is what it becomes without money, daily the Aussie pilgrimage to the exotic there is an accident without insurance , Insurance from Oz is expensive, but take a look at a unknown insurance company that mining companies in Asia use, (a free plug here - it may help someone ) , SOS from the US,  check it out, I use it all the time.. .......................................:coffee1:

On an individual level horrendous experience and injuries for this poor woman. Unfortunately, she's just another statistic, it's just another of the myriad crowd funding appeals and, of course, nothing will change, we just wait for the next one. The problem is the lack of concern for consequences, engendered by countries where such emergencies are automatically dealt with by the State.  Incidentally, would imagine that most older relatives and friends of victims from countries with a strong home ownership ethos would be able to raise necessary funds secured on their properties; the time-scale for that might be a problem I suppose, and it might be a bit of a wrench for some, given that home ownership is a key cultural icon.

18 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I ride a scooter every day for 5 years on Koh Samui, never more than 40 km/h in cities area and round 60 km/h on the road.

But...I am constantly overtaken at full speed by young or very young tourists the majority without helmets. What should I say?

No comment that's all.:coffee1:

Victim here not young, looks like the usual middle aged Aussie female.

Thailand is dangerous, you are 20x more likely to die here, than on a trip to Europe.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

22 hours ago, Happy enough said:

"While Ms Liddle took out insurance before her trip, it appears her coverage does not insure her against this incident"

would be interesting to know why. most people know to make sure their insurance cover motorbikes when in thailand as chances are you are going to get on one at some point and well, the RTA figures speak for themselves. I have heard of people having insurance whether travel or expat where travelling on motorbikes was covered but they wouldn't pay out if you weren't wearing a helmet even if on mototaxi or your driving licence didn't cover you to ride motorbikes that kind of thing. at the end of the day most insurers are going to look for a way not to pay

that said, very unfortunate. one of so so many every year

Good Point! But sometimes this is the Insurer choice and not really yours.

I just took out Travel Insurance for a week from BUPA for Laos. It wasn't there best policy but second best that I could see. Gold I think it was? But under the section on which you are not covered, like for Suicide, or being in a War, it clearly stated that you are not covered for riding and being involved in a Motor Bike Accidents, no matter who's fault it is.

I suspect many Insurance Companies are this way, or you need to pay a lot extra. As pointed out here, many Tourist get involved in accidents like this, so it would only be logical for Insurance Companies to void this, or make you pay big time extra through the nose to get it. I never looked into this more closely as I had no intentions of riding on a Motor Bike.

2 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I never looked into this more closely as I had no intentions of riding on a Motor Bike.

Good luck in Laos then, as 90% of available transport in the country is m/c taxi.

And what happens if you are walking across the road and a m/c hits you?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Out of OZ U only need to check on the price you'd pay for insurance for  a visit to the states,  that on its own would give U a heart attack

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

From recent experience, maybe a headline flycatcher quote, in reality the figures are far more expensive

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Good luck in Laos then, as 90% of available transport in the country is m/c taxi.

And what happens if you are walking across the road and a m/c hits you?

The Hotel I stayed at had all the services we needed, but when we wanted to venture outside, they had a Car Taxi for us. Probably cost double the price, but no worst than America. I think about $15 one way to the city, which wasn't that far away and maybe 10 to 15 minutes in traffic.

This Insurance didn't cover you for riding on a Motor Bike, like the Tuk Tuk Taxi you describe, but if you were walking and got hit by one, then you were fully covered. The key words was "Riding" and/or "Driving".

I personally don't think Insurance Companies are worried about Tuk Tuk Taxi's and why they void this Motor Bike Insurance. I think they are more worried about the Carefree Tourist who after a few drinks thinks he can ride anything. Even if he never rode a Motor Bike before, or hasn't in many years, and doesn't know the roads or rules of these roads as well as he should. 

I also think the Average Tourists from the West are probably much better Drivers than most Thais. But not when it comes to Motor Bikes. My Money would be on the Thai. Also why My Thai Wife did all the driving when it came to the Motor Bike, and even before she got her Car License.   

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Victim here not young, looks like the usual middle aged Aussie female.

Thailand is dangerous, you are 20x more likely to die here, than on a trip to Europe.

Do not misread me I am certainly very sorry for what this poor girl endures as physical pains, but I think most of those young tourists drives not defensively enough, they are happy to be here some talk to each other from bike to bike, certainly not careful enough to stay on they left.

When I said I drive at 40 kmh in city limit, never ever did I do that in my country, on the contrary, I was probably not always a good example, 

in Thailand, I drive like if the road was a minefield, most of those tourists probably too excited to bear in mind they should too.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

My travel insurance is voided if I ride a m'bike over a certain cc and if I don't have a valid m'bike licence and if I am not wearing a helmet. Some policies require an extra payment to cover m'bikes.

It's past time for any tourist to require travel insurance on arrival, or be denied entry. Too many stories about tourist's family "desperately" trying to raise money because the injured person didn't have insurance.

however, in this instance, your argument is moot, as the woman in question WAS insured, just inadequately.

now, are you suggesting immigration officers on the front line be trained in spotting an insufficient policy.

it is easy to make blanket statement regarding what immigration policy should be, its implementing a coherent policy that is difficult. 

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I like your idea of Mandatory Travel Insurance to and at least enough to cover Emergency Treatment and Repatriation. But I wouldn't leave it up to the Tourist or Immigration to Police that.

I would leave this Mandatory Insurance up to the Ticket Agent or Airline. For sure they can get the best rates and also a small commission for doing so. If they let you pass without Insurance then they should be held accountable to you in the event you need it while on vacation. Just like they are held accountable when you don't have the Correct Visa.  

Hey! If you can't afford this extra $100 or $200 attached to your Airline Ticket, then Hey....you cant afford to come here. You especially can't afford the $35,000 you are going to need if you get involved in a serious accident.  

even if you know how to ride a bike and are an excellent driver, thais simply do not drive safely...i lived in surat thani for a year, and my SO sold insurance...twice a month, she would attend funerals for clients that were killed in auto/bike accidents...each weekend she spent afternoons in the hospital, visiting clients who had been injured...and this was in a rather desolate part of the province...it was all quite sad because it was usually so preventable...if my personal experience is any reliable indication, more than half of all thais have been involved in an accident...

there is almost 20 years difference in the life expectancy of thais and koreans...i'm sure that a big part of that is traffic fatalities...
It depends on the Thai, what I've noticed is the older Thais drive slowly and carefully, some young go way too fast, taxi bikes go fast but are very experienced. I've also noticed a lot of people on bikes and In cars on their mobile either speaking or messaging. Then there's the drinkers

18 hours ago, Mark mark said:

A Real, REAL Tragedy Really !!! ….  Did she know how to ride a Motor bike ??? ... I do wish her a Very good Recovery.

But ? … Like In-experienced Motor bike riders, SHOULD NOT be on the Roads in Phuket at least, … though I do not know about Ko Samui, as it is an Island at least ??? …. And Langkawi, well, Marginal also, even if it is much less crowded than Thailand, .... As well, 37 Years of Driving in Thailand, a lot of it, as a Young Man, on a Motor bike !!! …  …. Well, I have been Lucky I guess, and also for NOT hitting any Locals, like the Young girl that got off the bus and walked across the road without looking, and I was just Going way …WAY TOO FAST !!! … When the road was just getting wet !!! …. And having her family come after me either,  when I was a Young Man, On the Bike !!! !!! !!! ....

(I just about stood it on it’s Nose, trying to reduce the speed with the front brake, without skidding, … no steering doing that, …. but without Losing the back end …   which WOULD have ended up with me Hitting her extremely fast, …. while sliding along the road, sideways,  …..   and I was going to let go of the front brake at the last moment, and try, to dodge her, at Hopefully a much slower speed, ….. …. But she looked up, ....  and stepped back, … just in time !!! – ….  The Luckiest Break in my Entire Thai Driving career !!!) ….  (A Yamaha TZR, street racer, with Exhaust Valve, and a back end / Tire, that well, … Never Really even hung on, even in the dry)

… But well now around here, where I live near the Asia Highway near Bangpaharn in Ayutthaya Province, ... I LIKE driving on the roads here, and have NO Problems doing it at all !!!  ... Like less than I possibly would have driving on the now more crowded Roads back in Adelaide Australia !!!  ....

And the Thais ARE Courteous !!! …  Whatever the Potato sack, Scooter, Couch Potato’s here, might like to say about them, Right ??? "Talartmon" ??? .... But well, in my experience, .... Once you get past Bangkok, at least, which well, is not to bad either considering the volume of traffic !!!  … But then, the Further South you drive !!! ??? … The worse the driving gets !!!  ... Until about half way, when your Life starts to be seriously threatened !!! ???  …. And well if you do make it to Phuket !!! … Well, then you had BETTER have some REALLY GOOD Medical Insurance Right ??? ....

No Inexperienced Tourist Bike riders EVER, should be on those roads I think my self ??? … Still, I have not been down there for a while ??? …. Still, … Like YES, it probably is Worse Now !!! Right ???

Mark mark

I concur. I enjoy driving Thailand’s roads either on a motorcycle or in a car and I find I have very little to no difficulty an extremely large percentage of the time. 

The much maligned u-turns that are constantly griped about present no real difficulty, the majority of the road users are just trying to get to where they’re going just the same as myself and I have never experienced abusive honking, road rage or any sort of anger. 

Very recent experience, driving in and around  Samut Prakan, BKK and down to Koh Samed was of no worry whatsoever.

The expressway was great although the traffic was quite heavy at times due King Rama IX’s funeral and cremation and in and around built up areas the traffic moved freely although slowly at times. Even so I never felt held up or unsafe, even less so than my experiences in inner city Melbourne during peak hours.

I’ve now returned to Pattaya for a short stay and I, like a previous poster, am astounded by the attitudes of foreigners/tourists doing everything they can to jump the que, push to the front, bully and barge their way dangerously past one & all to gain that magical front spot of the line or get that one car/motorcycle ahead. Once again it seems that most think that the rules don’t matter for them here and/or it’s their first time on a scooter or bike and they have no self control with their new found ability to lane split and filter at every opportunity, self preservation and spatial awareness go out the window. A scary prospect when they have no skills to avoid emergency situations in the first place. 

16 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Poor Lady I hope they get her home soon.

I have never understood why anyone from Aus comes here, they have everything over there and the beaches are clean and the water safe to swim in, if you avoid the sharks. Bike renters here do not care, its gives us your money and passport and off you go, but try getting the passport back if there is a problem. PS it is illegal to handover your passport as a guarantee.

But I ask you who in their right mind wants to visit a country with the record of the worlds deadliest drivers and a police force who themselves are scared to go out and do there job of policing traffic, Must be those dam drivers they are scared off.

Talking about the ladies here as we know why most of the guys come.

So by your reckoning why would any Australian travel to any country whatsoever. Puh-lease. Did you read back over your statement before posting?

Australia has everything? One of the highest household debt levels in the world, gridlocked roads in most metro areas, rising utility prices (to the point of being unaffordable to heat/cool your home), massively increasing cost of living, eating out etc, very inclement weather to the south and restrictive domestic vacation options due to high costs, especially for families. Not everyone lives near the beach.

I spent 4 days on the Gold Coast last year and the total cost could pay for 2 weeks in Thailand including flights and accomodation. 

Thailand is a cheap, beautiful interesting country that is exotic to many but still has the infrastructure to make even the most inexperienced traveller not feel out of their depth. 

25 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Thailand is a cheap, beautiful interesting country that is exotic to many but still has the infrastructure to make even the most inexperienced traveller not feel out of their depth. 

It also has a lot more sudden death and nasty injury.

And were I to suffer from it, I wouldn't be begging others for money to bail me out later.