What snake is this?

Fore Man

My wife took this photo of a small (30-cm) snake that her neighbor almost stepped on while they were out for a walk in Mae Rim. Can anyone ID it?  I thought it might have been a kukri but it also resembles some krait species. 

88831552-8AA6-456C-8612-416FE6CE599F.jpeg

Yes its a golden tree snake sometimes called a flying snake because they can 'fly' from tree to tree,  they are beautiful snakes but they are attracted to the hum on power lines and often climb up the HT poles, happened to me on my own transformer and shorted out two HT phases costing me over 25k to replace equipment and damaged ccd cameras and such in the house.  

Here is a picture of him after he BarB Qd himsef

TransformerSnake.jpg

Thanks to you all for the ID and sage advice.  I think the ladies simply came upon the critter while it might have been basking on the road taking in any overnight residual surface heat.  Last night was a tad on the cool side as our cold season has begun to take its grip, and I don't think we'll be seeing too many snakes out and about for awhile.  My wife's friend almost stepped on it and never noticed it.  From what gandalf12 posted, it wouldn't have been pleasant to be bitten but the outcome would have been OK.  But it reminds me of my former life spent in Southern California.  We came upon dozens of rattlers on our hikes and if a person was ever bitten, we were admonished to kill the snake and bring it in for proper identification and administration of the correct antivenom and dosage.  Had the lady been bitten this morning, in the immediate shock of the incident the snake would likely have escaped, making a subsequent medical diagnosis difficult.  Again, your assistance is much appreciated. 

Edited by Fore Man
improved readability

It really baffels me as to why people want to know the name of a snake they have come across...with respect of course.

So, you get the answer, what then? You get to say "Oh, so that's what it's called" and forever there after that information is of little or no use to you for the rest of your life?

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

It really baffels me as to why people want to know the name of a snake they have come across...with respect of course.

So, you get the answer, what then? You get to say "Oh, so that's what it's called" and forever there after that information is of little or no use to you for the rest of your life?

Some of us are curious about these things and in this case, hopefully "forever there after", if the OP, or anyone else who reads this, happens upon a similar snake, they will know what it is and therefore not be worried about whether or not it is highly  venomous, as many snakes in Thailand are.  A thirst for knowledge is a human trait after all. 

43 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I guess you did not donate $5 to Wikipedia to help keep it active online?

51 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Not to mention it is ALWAYS the flying golden tree snake.  I should have asked what the red necked keelback I found in my living room last week was just to change it up.

Edited by ThaiWai

To chime in, to Baffeled (sic)...as the OP, I’d add that if somebody you know comes across one of these, or any other snake you can positively ID,  or heaven forbid they are bitten by one, you might be able to provide great assistance by telling the victim, their family or medical personnel the correct identity of the snake.  This might prove important in how they render their initial treatment and choosing the right anti-venom if the fang marks show it to be a viper and potentially dangerous to humans.  I for one enjoy reading this Forum topic.  To be forewarned is a smart move IMHO.  

Things have names so we can refer to them without having to go into lengthy descriptions every time. Not that “baffling” surely?

Sent from my Anderson Shelter using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, dotpoom said:

If you live in the countryside, you don't just see a type of snake once... and if you have toddler kids and dogs, it is nice to know which ones are poisonous... so, the info can be useful. 

18 hours ago, dotpoom said:

17 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Not to mention it is ALWAYS the flying golden tree snake.  I should have asked what the red necked keelback I found in my living room last week was just to change it up.

Your comment encouraged me to look up the Red -necked keelback (Rhabdophis subminiatus). I'm glad I haven't found one in my living room.  Venomous and to assist any others who find one in their living room, below is a picture of one

Red-necked Keelback (Rhabdophis-subminiatus).jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 12:36 PM, worgeordie said:

It's a Golden tree snake, Chrysopelea ornata, rear fanged,mildly venomous, 

it's a wonder you got picture as they are so fast.

regards Worgeordie

Looks like it may be a old g/f of mine, wave some money at it.... 

25 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Your comment encouraged me to look up the Red -necked keelback (Rhabdophis subminiatus). I'm glad I haven't found one in my living room.  Venomous and to assist any others who find one in their living room, below is a picture of one

One of the few snakes that is easily recognisable .  My book  on 'Snakes of Thailand ' says the Redneck Keel Back is unevenly tempered and venomous. One of my cats was teasing one a year or two back so I put the snake over the wall.

May not of been the same snake but one came back fully grown  , about 100cm . I wasn't putting it over the wall this time , it made its own way.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:16 PM, mikosan said:

Rear fanged, rarely do damage to humans but there is no antivenin for this species in Thailand either.  My dogs have a distinctive bark that lets me know they found one.  I took them for a walk one day off the leash and I could hear something crunching through some leaves but the dogs did not pick up on it.  I saw the thick king cobra slide under a doorway to the neighbors yard before the dogs picked up on it.  I have seen several kings around the house since then but since they generally are just interested in other snakes so we have not had a problem with them.  I also get goldens and wolfs frequently and was very lucky t come across a long nose whip once.  I am dying to get a python but they have eluded me as yet.

You’re braver than I am, ThaiWai; if I spot just one cobra, king or not, it’s time to call in the snake man to bag it and look high and low for any of his brethren. We’ve seen two in our yard in the past 13 years and that was two too many. 

But on a curious note, we had a snake man inspect our yard back then and he suggested...and we agreed...to plant several small, supposed snake-avoiding purple-colored shrubs around the house and there’s not been any snakes sighted since then, except for a baby kukri we discovered out by our pool. I hope our luck lasts!