Police very eager to issue fines?

Timwin

19 hours ago, genericptr said:

I witness dozens of traffics offenses everyday and in many years I've never once seen a cop to do anything so his story is indeed noteworthy.

there are NOT enough coppers to enforce traffic laws in this country, possibly due to the crap salary

7 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

I got a ticket yesterday turning off Thrapaya on the final run down to the beach (just before Hemmingways...........had my licence, tax,insurance..................never had bike book on me...........fine 400 baht down at soi 9.

Never like to carry the book incase the bike is stolen.............maybe have to have a copy made up and take that out with me,though from what i have read they can claim the copy in illegible and still fine you.....

Wonder how many of us carry the book?

I haven't read anything about BIB claiming the copy is illegible if it's legible. Sounds like an excuse. Reference? Lies and misunderstandings abound. Nor is it in the least difficult to have a copy made up. Not really in the same category as a bespoke suit is it. I've always taken along a copy, and I think most of us do, for exactly this reason:

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The law specifies a copy of the "log book" (registration) or "green book" is required. I always carry a copy. No need to carry the original book.

Thought everybody knew that. Evidently, you yourself had already learned about that rule in the "illegible copy" claim but merely paid the price of ignoring it.

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

what about for a rental? how could you possibly have the book?

Rentals are an exception. In that case you can show your rental receipt and you're on your way, if your license is in order. I see tourists doing this all the time at the Soi 9 checkpoint. Yawn.

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

what if they take a cash deposit instead of passport...how does that change things?

Why would that change anything? Seems we're just dreaming up shit to throw on the wall to see if any sticks. Your question implies the stupidity of handing over your passport, rather than a copy, to a vendor, however.

Edited by JSixpack

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Thought everybody knew that. Evidently, you yourself had already learned about that rule in the "illegible copy" claim but merely paid the price of ignoring it.

Your comment is under a quote of mine but appears to be continuing an argument with somebody else.

Are you confused over who said what? Or have you just mixed up your quotes?

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Your comment is under a quote of mine but appears to be continuing an argument with somebody else.

Are you confused over who said what? Or have you just mixed up your quotes?

No, you're merely confused that I've used your quote as a reference to support my argument with somebody else. We can quote more than one previous post, from multiple posters, in our replies.

Edited by JSixpack

On Friday, November 03, 2017 at 1:05 AM, steven100 said:

Troll post ... ?

if one does a traffic violation or is caught with any illegal substance then you have to expect the penalty.

Why is it that farangs come here to Thailand get caught and then cry foul  ? .......  :shock1:

Largely because they are targeted !

21 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I haven't read anything about BIB claiming the copy is illegible if it's legible. Sounds like an excuse. Reference? Lies and misunderstandings abound. Nor is it in the least difficult to have a copy made up. Not really in the same category as a bespoke suit is it. I've always taken along a copy, and I think most of us do, for exactly this reason:

Rentals are an exception. In that case you can show your rental receipt and you're on your way, if your license is in order. I see tourists doing this all the time at the Soi 9 checkpoint. Yawn.

Why would that change anything? Seems we're just dreaming up shit to throw on the wall to see if any sticks. Your question implies the stupidity of handing over your passport, rather than a copy, to a vendor, however.

A receipt for renting a motorbike?   Never heard of one!  Do share if you have a copy of one.  LOL

Stupidity is pasting together a bunch of posts, changing the meaning of them and trying to make a point. 

My question was specifically regarding how a renter without a green book would fare?  Is that simple enough for you, or would you like to copy and paste 3 or 4 different posts to not respond correctly and twist the meaning?

9 minutes ago, torrzent said:

A receipt for renting a motorbike?   Never heard of one!  Do share if you have a copy of one.  LOL

Oh, there's just so much you've never heard or claim never to have. Seems you've never actually rented a bike, so what we have here is just hot air. Sorry, I've thrown away the receipt for the one I rented years ago. Now in your case, handing over your actual passport, leaving on the bike with no receipt for it or the money you've paid, no evidence that you've rented the bike, no phone number, barefoot--in your case it's possible you may have a problem. But it's hard for most people to act that stupidly, you see. So the answer in your case is that you may have to pay the B400 fine, as well you should. Indeed, I'd advise having a lot of cash on you at all times and a debit card linked to a large bank balance, as it appears you're gonna need it for all kinds of situations.

Stupidity is pasting together a bunch of posts, changing the meaning of them and trying to make a point.

Or it's merely calling standard permitted practice on the forum "stupid" and making false claims about meanings changed. Trollin' trollin' trollin' . . . keep them trolls a-trollin' . . . .

My question was specifically regarding how a renter without a green book would fare?  Is that simple enough for you, or would you like to copy and paste 3 or 4 different posts to not respond correctly and twist the meaning?

And that question was already answered quite specifically. Read my previous post carefully. Try to understand. But now I've addressed your personal case as well. :smile:

I got a ticket yesterday turning off Thrapaya on the final run down to the beach (just before Hemmingways...........had my licence, tax,insurance..................never had bike book on me...........fine 400 baht down at soi 9.

Never like to carry the book incase the bike is stolen.............maybe have to have a copy made up and take that out with me,though from what i have read they can claim the copy in illegible and still fine you.....

Wonder how many of us carry the book?

Exactly the same spot .. all good , helmet , license :) .
Should have seen the look of disgust on his face , when I opened the seat and there was a photocopy of all the bike docs , plus my passport .
This guy usually only stops farang no helmet .. must be on a mission to fill the coffers for Xmas .

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Got one in BBK stopped over the line but so not to block the junction I held my position 

nice bib came over, the mrs sorted it out with customary handout,felt very aggrieved

afterwards............the joys of living in LOS............LOL 

On 11/3/2017 at 4:10 PM, gmac said:

"Crossing the line in traffic lights."

What does that mean?  Stopping past the white line at the lights?  Passing traffic queued at the lights and crossing the centre line of the road to get to the front of the queue?

If it's stopping past the white stop line then clearly an offence but one that is committed daily by pretty much every motorbike.  Never known it enforced in Pattaya before and sounds like a new easy source of revenue for the BiB's.  

Don't you just love it when they ignore a law for years until everyone has got used to it not being enforced and then having a crackdown?

It's not newly enforced. This one is often enforced. I've seen many cops walk up to Farang riders waiting at lights who are just over the white line, grab their keys and write a ticket. This activity was particularly common at the Pattaya Tai/2nd Road intersection. I've never seen them nab Thai people for this infringement. I always make sure I'm parked back from this white line, if it is still visible. If you are in front of the white line, be sure you're not the only one. They only book riders if they're the only one and they are foreigners. At most intersections, there are dozens of riders in front of the white line, which shouldn't be a problem.

On 5.11.2017 at 8:29 AM, torrzent said:

A receipt for renting a motorbike?   Never heard of one! 

It's called a contract (that you sign).

I always get a copy and carry it with me.

Show up at return.

That simple.

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I got stopped twice within 2 mins today. A checkpoint on 2nd road, then another one around the corner on Klang. PITA. 7 times now in 3 weeks

Did they seem to be checking for anything in particular, or just in general as at Soi 9.

On 03/11/2017 at 8:09 AM, Timwin said:

Do you feel better now after your early morning moral tirade? Is that your thing?

The self righteous usually have the most to hide. A truly horrible set who manage to spoil TV. The BIB are very active at the junction of Pratumnak and Thapraya BTW.

Edited by The manic

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's called a contract (that you sign).

I always get a copy and carry it with me.

Show up at return.

That simple.

Contract?????LOL...maybe we have a definition of what a contract is?

Edited by torrzent

3 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Contract?????LOL...maybe we have a definition of what a contract is?

I won't waste my time to feed the troll.

You obviously have no idea what you are writing about and never properly rent a motorbike in Pattaya.

Not surprised they smiled, they seem to have doubled the fine. This licence checking is very lucrative - certainly as far as the UK is concerned a small percentage of drivers overall have motorbikes included on their driving licence so the random stops are a major cash cow.