Aussie tourist Stacey Liddle’s leg ‘not to be amputated’, say Phuket doctors

snoop1130

Aussie tourist Stacey Liddle’s leg ‘not to be amputated’, say Phuket doctors

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1509703723_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Doctors at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town have dismissed reports that they may have to amputate Australian tourist Stacey Liddle’s left leg, which was crushed by a bus after a collision near Chalong Circle last Thursday (Oct 26).

Ms Liddle, from Brisbane, was riding a rental motorbike when the bike she was riding and a passing tour bus collided. She was knocked to the road and the bus’ back wheels ran over her leg.

Ms Liddle was in Phuket on holiday to celebrate her 30th birthday.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/aussie-tourist-stacey-liddle-leg-not-to-be-amputated-say-phuket-doctors-64569.php#tLvbwVxe0rxPrElI.97

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What was the involvement of the tuk-tuks?  The unlicenced woman woman collided with a tour bus.

Just NKM using any excuse to bang his drum about lack of public transport infrastructure causes tourists to rent m/bikes and have accidents.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

A friend reports this case is getting publicity in Australia.

I told him it's a relatively common event here.

On the front page of news.com.au earlier in the week. The story was complete with all your typical racist stuff - such as bad Thai hospitals and evil insurance company that didn't want to pay out. 

4 hours ago, Borzandy said:

So, you can be confident.

Despite having a full bike/car licence in the UK and Thailand, I have broken both my arms (seperate incidents) in Phuket and used Mission hospital and Thalang hospital, I cannot speak highly enough for the doctors, nurses and professionalism of anyone i dealt with here (that also includes illnesses), including how they dealt with the insurance. If your not covered for a bike dont drive one, if you dont have a licence to drive one, dont drive one... if you take the risk, dont ask for funding if your insurance doesnt cover it.

In most of our home countries, you wouldnt be insured either if you drive any type of vehicle your not legally allowed to operate, whether thats medical or vehicle insurance, so why expect it to be different here?

We all know the risks of driving and the standard in Thailand so why increase that risk by driving something you cant drive (if you can, then take the test to prove it).

8 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

Despite having a full bike/car licence in the UK and Thailand, I have broken both my arms (seperate incidents) in Phuket and used Mission hospital and Thalang hospital, I cannot speak highly enough for the doctors, nurses and professionalism of anyone i dealt with here (that also includes illnesses), including how they dealt with the insurance. If your not covered for a bike dont drive one, if you dont have a licence to drive one, dont drive one... if you take the risk, dont ask for funding if your insurance doesnt cover it.

In most of our home countries, you wouldnt be insured either if you drive any type of vehicle your not legally allowed to operate, whether thats medical or vehicle insurance, so why expect it to be different here?

We all know the risks of driving and the standard in Thailand so why increase that risk by driving something you cant drive (if you can, then take the test to prove it).

Not to mention I believe (happy to be corrected), the Dr's covering the government hospitals also work in the private ones on rotation. 

Kwai Bill's RECAP:

One cannot say for sure from the article that she was unlicensed. I would hazard that she does at least have a license from Australia.
The rental agencies in my experience, especially motorbike outfits, are not very stringent about verifying proper documentation.
She does have travel insurance according to the article, but they have declined to assist. Caveat emptor! So much for the proposed tourist insurance requirement unless the government details the coverage to include motor accidents.
The rental agency does have the legally required insurance, which according to the article has paid. I think without going back the number was B30,000. Not much for the type of injuries.
I will be awaiting follow up on the investigation. Will she as farang be held 100% responsible? Or will the fact of a commercial entity (bus company) allow some responsibility assignment there, paving the way for additional insurance resources?
Good luck, Ms. Liddle.

10 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Just NKM using any excuse to bang his drum about lack of public transport infrastructure causes tourists to rent m/bikes and have accidents.

If you want a system that is squeaky clean, better not come to Thailand. This a developing country and the lack of infrastructure is because 'its a developing country', are we clear on this ?

4 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Kwai Bill's RECAP:
One cannot say for sure from the article that she was unlicensed. I would hazard that she does at least have a license from Australia.

From the link

"Following the accident, an appeal for donations to help pay for Ms Liddle’s medical bills was launched on GoFundMe.com as her travel insurance company had refused to cover medical expenses as Ms Liddle’s policy did not cover injury through accidents while riding a motorbike.

In short, Ms Liddle was not licensed to ride a motorbike in Thailand".

Seems pretty clear to me

2 hours ago, the guest said:

If you want a system that is squeaky clean, better not come to Thailand. This a developing country and the lack of infrastructure is because 'its a developing country', are we clear on this ?

Perhaps you would care to explain why 1000kms north of Phuket is a place called Pattaya, yes, Pattaya is in Thailand, a "developing country" which has a "Baht Bus" system that moves thousands of tourist, expats, and locals, 24/7, with the majority of the trips costing the passenger only 10 baht. 

You can't even get into the back of a Phuket tuk-tuk without paying a minimum of 200 baht.

Transport is an essential service that is being administered by criminals here, and it is killing and maiming people, on a daily basis, not to mention the ridiculous traffic chaos here, parking problems, noise and air pollution and the huge damage it has done to the tourism industry here.

"Are we clear on this?" 

Edited by NamKangMan

16 hours ago, Old Croc said:

From the link

"Following the accident, an appeal for donations to help pay for Ms Liddle’s medical bills was launched on GoFundMe.com as her travel insurance company had refused to cover medical expenses as Ms Liddle’s policy did not cover injury through accidents while riding a motorbike.

In short, Ms Liddle was not licensed to ride a motorbike in Thailand".

Seems pretty clear to me

The writer concluded that Ms Liddle was unlicensed because her insurance does not cover motorbike accidents.
That is not a logical conclusion.
She may in fact not be licensed, but that does not follow from the insurance exclusion.

On 04/11/2017 at 6:48 PM, Bill Miller said:

Kwai Bill's RECAP:

The rental agencies in my experience, especially motorbike outfits, are not very stringent about verifying proper documentation.
She does have travel insurance according to the article, but they have declined to assist. Caveat emptor! So much for the proposed tourist insurance requirement unless the government details the coverage to include motor accidents.
The rental agency does have the legally required insurance, which according to the article has paid. I think without going back the number was B30,000. Not much for the type of injuries.
I will be awaiting follow up on the investigation. Will she as farang be held 100% responsible? Or will the fact of a commercial entity (bus company) allow some responsibility assignment there, paving the way for additional insurance resources?
Good luck, Ms. Liddle.

More than likely the insurance company for the tourist bus will argue that if Ms Liddle who is unlicensed to ride a motorcycle in Thailand, was not on the bike, the accident would not of occurred, and will therefore try its best to get it thrown out of court, which is more than probable as you must be licensed to be on the road, and will definately raise the case as to why her own insurance company didn't pay up.

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

More than likely the insurance company for the tourist bus will argue that if Ms Liddle who is unlicensed to ride a motorcycle in Thailand, was not on the bike, the accident would not of occurred, and will therefore try its best to get it thrown out of court, which is more than probable as you must be licensed to be on the road, and will definately raise the case as to why her own insurance company didn't pay up.

"More than likely the insurance company for the tourist bus will argue that if Ms Liddle who is unlicensed to ride a motorcycle in Thailand, was not on the bike, the accident would not of occurred,"

Highly unlikely since that is a nonsense argument.

26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"More than likely the insurance company for the tourist bus will argue that if Ms Liddle who is unlicensed to ride a motorcycle in Thailand, was not on the bike, the accident would not of occurred,"

Highly unlikely since that is a nonsense argument.

Unlicensed riders drivers create accidents as they are inexperienced, licensed drivers and riders have to pass tests to be legally permitted to be driving/riding on the roads, in other words going back to my original statement, if she wasn't on the road, the accident wouldn't have occurred, i.e. she could have contributed to the accident, i.e. she could have fallen off the bike and her leg went under the bus.

I see nothing nonsense about the argument, have actually heard of people suing others in similar incidents, law is not cut and dry, worst case scenario, the court makes them pay up and then they take out a civil claim against her, but she will have Buckley's getting paid. But of course this would depend on the laws of the country she is in, just have a read of this and you might understand where I am coming from: http://gdallashorton.com/what-happens-if-im-in-an-accident-with-no-registration-insurance-or-license/

Edited by 4MyEgo

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Unlicensed riders drivers create accidents as they are inexperienced, licensed drivers and riders have to pass tests to be legally permitted to be driving/riding on the roads, in other words going back to my original statement, if she wasn't on the road, the accident wouldn't have occurred, i.e. she could have contributed to the accident, i.e. she could have fallen off the bike and her leg went under the bus.

I see nothing nonsense about the argument, have actually heard of people suing others in similar incidents, law is not cut and dry, worst case scenario, the court makes them pay up and then they take out a civil claim against her, but she will have Buckley's getting paid. But of course this would depend on the laws of the country she is in, just have a read of this and you might understand where I am coming from: http://gdallashorton.com/what-happens-if-im-in-an-accident-with-no-registration-insurance-or-license/

First of all, your article refers to Nevada. Second of all, even in that article it is said the person driving uninsured can claim compensation from the guilty party, not being licensed or insured is not an argument to deny.

Your reasoning is simply nonsense, just as the urban myth 'foreigner is always to blame, if he were not there the accident would not have taken place'.

Of course inexperience can have contributed to or caused the accident.

Edited by stevenl

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

No myth that you bang your anti tuk tuk and pro proper public transport drum. Way off topic in this tragic topic,. 

I disagree.  Phuket transport is very much on topic in this thread. 

How many tourist would take a metered taxi,  should they exist here, rather than ride a motorbike????