Rats.

nick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poison baits from Home pro worked for us when we had a rat invasion due to local flooding, our land is higher than the surrounding land and dry, have to be careful where you place it if you have pets

The rats brought the snakes with them which was a bit of a problem 

Edited by madmax2

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

Poison baits from Home pro worked for us when we had a rat invasion due to local flooding, our land is higher than the surrounding land and dry, have to be careful where you place it if you have pets 

Is that the kind that lets the rat wander off to some inaccessible place to die?

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Is that the kind that lets the rat wander off to some inaccessible place to die?

I don't know, i put it down their freshly dug holes and then filled the holes in so they could not get out and they never came back, but they probably would if they could wander off 

The 2plus metre king cobra,(by its color) was more of a worry

On 04/11/2017 at 8:20 AM, KarenBravo said:

It seems that the Warfarin rat poison makes them "feel unwell" so they go back to their place of abode to die.........and even if they did die in some place in/near the house it shouldn't be too difficult to douse them in lime or Dettol?

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

There seems to be a bit of a plague of rats lately. I've spotted them in the backyard more often than ever before, Our cat is looking decided portly these days.

I'm on warfarin, hoping the dose isn't too high.

You'll be OK just don't swallow any rat poison 

Its works on rats by thinning the blood and stopping the blood clogging so they bleed to death when they scratch themselves

Probably a good idea to not scratch to much as well :smile:

Catch & release with the springed box traps using a micro peanut butter sandwich. Release in the distant neihgbors yard you don't see eye to eye with;-)

Glue traps are inhumane & rats have a whole lot of fight left in them trying to get free.

Poisons can be dangerous to domestic pets.

On 04/11/2017 at 4:46 AM, KarenBravo said:

Have always had success with the spring traps (the one that doesn't kill them) using brown bread as bait.

I have used corn flakes and of course ....cheese. Everytime I release them in a field I get a sense of elation...so different from the one I got after learning back home that the way to deal with them was to slauter them.

Cats for sure. But make sure when you go to the local Wat to adopt, ask the monks/nuns which cat is an efficient mouser. I have several cats but only two of them are truly deadly. 

Thoughts and prayers to the mice.

Good luck!

I had a big problem with the rats at my place. I got a tin of the sticky paste spread it on a square board and placed a piece of fish or chicken in the middle just out side our back door. In the evening time. Within 2 hours had 2 big ones on it. I killed them with a hammer on the head. Have done this 4 times and got one all the time. Had very little problems since. You can buy this from the supermarket BigC. Once they get on it they cannot escape. Before they chewed the doors etc in my kitchen. So much damage.

I was having trouble enticing a rather large mouse to feed on the dry dog food I had on a sticky glue trap, that is until I found some small purple onions that had been gnawed on, so I put a small piece of onion in the middle of the trap and got it that night, true story, believe it or not.

16 hours ago, madmax2 said:

You'll be OK just don't swallow any rat poison 

Its works on rats by thinning the blood and stopping the blood clogging so they bleed to death when they scratch themselves

Probably a good idea to not scratch to much as well :smile:

Warfarin actually kills rodents by causing the internal organs to hemorrhage. 

I used to use cage traps baited with bread and fish sauce to catch rats on the ceiling. Very successful. When caught I used to give them a sporting chance on a clear area. Release them and let the dogs do the coupe de grace. Either all over in a flash or they made it to freedom. Poison is painful I think and carrion eaters can be poisoned if they eat the rats.:saai: 

When I worked in KL we used to go to a sort of outdoor restaurant for lunch we called "fried rice" - that was all they did, and it was bloody good.  

Then one Friday there's this big rat in a spring box trap out in the sun - I guess they left it there to die in the heat.  

I had to wonder after that what they did with the carcasses, and what was the secret taste-so-good ingredient in the fried rice?

I had a lot of experience with eliminating rats back home as I had a tackle shop with lots of things that attract rats (pollard, burley pellets etc).  Not had experience with them here (yet).  I always had better luck with poison.  Now I dont know whether it was warfarin or not but sounds like it.  It was explained to me that we all bleed internally from time to time from small scratches just as we do on the outside.  Whatever is in the poison causes a vitamin deficiency (K?), the deficiency causes the blood to stop coagulating and the rat in turn bleeds to death internally.  It can take days to work and show results.  I was led to believe it is a painless process.  The rat just gets weaker and weaker till it finds a safe place to hide where it dies.  I have found them dead inside my letterbox, gum boots, etc.  If they get into cavity walls you have a problem because you cant get the dead rat out and the stink will last a long time.

If you do use this type of poison make sure you do not leave any dry cat or dog food around.  The dry pet food, if ingested by a poisoned rat, counteracts the poison by providing the vitamin made deficient.  I learnt the hard way...I was going through boxes of poison with no results until I discovered this and removed all dog food except at my dogs meal times.  In fact you really need to make sure all sources of food a rat can eat be removed or sealed.

As mentioned earlier rats are very smart.  They can smell you on the poison bait or traps...always wear clean gloves.  If you are using traps lay them out for a week or so before baiting and setting them.  I was using spring traps initially but found I was only catching young rats.  Strange thing was they had been gutted??  An old experienced rat is suspicious of anything new around and will sit back and watch while a young rat goes in and is caught...he/she will then eat the stomach contents of the trapped rat.  Thats why the quick acting poison with strychnine etc doesnt work after a while, they learn!!  On the other hand, with the slow bleeding type poison as above, the older rats will see the young or very old and too weak to hunt rats come and eat the bait several times without problems.  He will then consider it safe and eat the poison himself.

Always put your poison bait where other animals/birds etc cant get to it.  Your pet dog or cat should be ok if it does so long as it normally eats dry pet food pellets/biscuits etc (see above) but its always best to play it safe,  its a bigger threat to native animals/birds etc if they can get to it.

Hope this helps...good luck!

14 minutes ago, moojar said:

When I worked in KL we used to go to a sort of outdoor restaurant for lunch we called "fried rice" - that was all they did, and it was bloody good.  

Then one Friday there's this big rat in a spring box trap out in the sun - I guess they left it there to die in the heat.  

I had to wonder after that what they did with the carcasses, and what was the secret taste-so-good ingredient in the fried rice?

Our local service station does the same.  I have seen 6 or so box traps with rats in them stacked together out in the hot sun and I am sure that is not where they were set.