Why am I getting a delay (lag) when typing or using cursor?

giddyup

When typing the letters take a few seconds to catch up, and I'm not fast. Also when I move the cursor over something it takes seconds to highlight, or to even move it. I did a restart yesterday and it was definitely improved, but after an hour or so the same problem occurred again. Have run a virus scan, but no problems there.

Typing in what application? Browser?

Do a cleanup w/ CCleaner. Look in task manager and see what's hogging CPU & Ram. If the browser, could be a particular site causing a slowdown (Firefox has a performance montor: type about:performance in the address bar) or a particular extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-addons-memory/). Clean cache & cookies on browser, restart. Look at startup applications, stop those not needed. Look in services, see what's not needed, stop from autostarting or uninstall the relevant applications. Check RAM and see if you've still got all of it.

So that's a start. :smile:

Edited by JSixpack

8 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Typing in what application? Browser?

Do a cleanup w/ CCleaner. Look in task manager and see what's hogging CPU & Ram. If the browser, could be a particular site causing a slowdown (Firefox has a performance montor: type about:performance in the address bar) or a particular extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-addons-memory/). Clean cache & cookies on browser, restart. Look at startup applications, stop those not needed. Look in services, see what's not needed, stop from autostarting or uninstall the relevant applications. Check RAM and see if you've still got all of it.

So that's a start. :smile:

Thanks, will do.

I'm assuming this is on a Windows computer, although you did not say.  Please post the hardware details of you computer, what version of Windows or other OS you are on, and what virus scanner you are using.  Also, how long has this problem been going on?  Did it start suddenly, or has is been getting steadily worse & worse? 

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Me too. It is connected to Thaivisa.

There is an excessive amount of javascript on this and other sites, much of it unnecessary. Some browsers on a low-spec PC may have trouble with this. The excessive amount of ads doesnt help either but of course these are optional.

15 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There is an excessive amount of javascript on this and other sites, much of it unnecessary. Some browsers on a low-spec PC may have trouble with this. The excessive amount of ads doesnt help either but of course these are optional.

You can switch off javascript in some browsers. Much better surfing on sites that don't need it to work.

28 minutes ago, USNret said:

I'm assuming this is on a Windows computer, although you did not say.  Please post the hardware details of you computer, what version of Windows or other OS you are on, and what virus scanner you are using.  Also, how long has this problem been going on?  Did it start suddenly, or has is been getting steadily worse & worse? 

Windows 10, CCleaner, Adaware. Problem only last couple of days.

CCleaner itself got infected by malware. Make sure you are beyond v5.33. I'm also wondering if you have 3 A/V software running (including Windows Defender which is built into Win10), if these are conflicting with one another & slowing things down? 

3 minutes ago, USNret said:

CCleaner itself got infected by malware. Make sure you are beyond v5.33. I'm also wondering if you have 3 A/V software running (including Windows Defender which is built into Win10), if these are conflicting with one another & slowing things down? 

Seems OK today. I did have 4 or 5 Thai Visa windows open, so keeping it down to one and see if that makes a difference.

Sounds like you have a low horsepower computer (CPU having to work to hard to keep up), slow internet connection,  and/or just a slow site like ThaiVisa has been recently. 

If your problem is only occurring on ThaiVisa it's probably just ThaiVisa going into one of its frequent "go really slow moods" and possibly combined with a slow international internet connection.

I've had the same problem and it was only when I was on the TVF site.  No problems associated with any other site.  You would think they would know and rectify the problem. It got so bad there a few times that I was even unable to make contact with them to advise them of their problem.  It is working OK at the moment and I am a very fast typist.  it is keeping up at the moment.:wai:

Lately ThaiVisa has been slightly "off".   Icons (eg., the "like" icon and bar) weren't loading and sometime ad pics didn't load.  At other times it's just plain slow to load a topic by clicking on link in their newsletter, or the newsletter link takes you to the wrong topic or a 'can't-find-it' notice.  At the moment all back to normal.  But if the cursor problem isn't just with ThaiVisa, then the explanation lies elsewhere.  If your experience happened to me, I'd first make sure it was just the one browser doing it and not all other applications as well, and then google that browser by name with "slow cursor" or something like that.  If I was having the problem with ALL my software, I'd be thinking about simply reinstalling the mouse driver (and also carefully reviewing any recent changes I'd made - new software, a change to configuration settings, etc.)...   If THAT didn't fix it, then malware scans would be in order.

'Just one additional thought:  Skype definitely never played well on my PC, and was causing problems not unlike those you described.  'Seemed to interfere with lots of stuff.  I got rid of it on a colleague's advice, and the problems immediately cleared up.