CNN names Isaan as top world destination in 2017

webfact

CNN names Northeast as top world destination in 2017

PNECO601105001000608.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 November 2017 (NNT) - Thailand’s northeastern region has been named by CNN as one of the world’s top 17 places to visit this year. 

Northeastern Thailand has a long history, with some of Southeast Asia’s oldest settlements found here. In modern times, the region is famous for its spicy salads, stunning scenery and historical sites. Most of them are still unseen by tourists. 

Ancient Khmer ruins outside Buri Ram, mountainous national parks in Loei and Bronze Age artifacts in the UNESCO-listed Ban Chiang Archeological Site are among must-visit tourist attractions. 

Some of the other destinations on the CNN list are Penang in Malaysia, Colombia, Bordeaux in France, Bhutan, Albania and Senegal.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-11-06

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I agree with CNN, Issan is a lovely place, i enjoy living here (sometimes).

Highlight of my week is going to the local big C having the beautiful young Issan ladies helping me with my shopping.:partytime2:

But please, keep the mass tourism away?

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

OMG ....   the thai bashers will be out in force today  !!

Why ?  It is a gem of an area that does not get the credit it deserves.  Since January 2014, many have found solace there.  It is quaint and charming like Bangkok and other areas use to be. 

12 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Why ?  It is a gem of an area that does not get the credit it deserves.  Since January 2014, many have found solace there.  It is quaint and charming like Bangkok and other areas use to be. 

It is a very nice area with many interesting parts to see,  and most of it is authentic thai ...  not like Phuket or other tourist areas.

Be aware ISAAN covers a massive area.Sure there are some bright spots

However the majority of countryside that I know are 20 years behind the time

That is why Mukdahan's promised airport and rail line do not now appear on the schedled list

these days

Try finding a Plumber,Electrician,a Computer Tech.TV serviceman.a small motor mechanic,a radio repairer

Even the locals shake their heads when one asks for help.

Redefine Isaan I think

50 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Always helps to have a gimmick.

Always helps to have a gimmick?

Being paraplegic is not a gimmick, its a curse.

Yes getting out to big C is a highlight for me, it is the only thing that i can do now alone.

As we all know, CNN is the main source of fake news.

Imagine all those tourists trekking to Roi Et, Khon Kaen, and other hot spots of the flatlands, and imagining themselves in Nebraska or Alberta or Norfolk (and anywhere else that looks like a pancake that you can think of).

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Always helps to have a gimmick?

Being paraplegic is not a gimmick, its a curse.

Yes getting out to big C is a highlight for me, it is the only thing that i can do now alone.

I was not making light of your circumstance -- just that, as the girls at the BigC may fawn all over you, there is almost always a bright side to anything.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

OMG ....   the thai bashers will be out in force today  !!

It won't be Thai bashers so much, more likely CNN bashers!  I don't particularly like any US media networks, but CNN seemed to be the most tolerable (unless you are a Humpty Dumpty fan). But with this poll it looks like CNN lost their collective minds... wholesale!

Seriously?

Isaan on the same list as Bordeaux? 

I must have been in all the wrong places in Isaan and all the right places in Bordeaux. 

My most memorable moments  from my last trip to Isaan involved plucking ants off myself and my bed all night in the best hotel we could find. 

Archived