CNN names Isaan as top world destination in 2017

webfact

Don't get me wrong..., I agree.  Wandering about Isaan is cool, especially if you have a local who can get you places with ease.  Back roads take you to some very cool places most would never find.  

No mention of transportation options.  Makes one wonder what criteria used and, indeed, the experience of any authors (5 credited).   

"Take a low cost mini-van & enjoy the ride."  Maybe..., maybe not so much.  Even driving one's own vehicle comes with a bit of white knuckling. 

Still good to see some recognition about a great & beautiful part of the world. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Seriously?

Isaan on the same list as Bordeaux? 

I must have been in all the wrong places in Isaan and all the right places in Bordeaux. 

My most memorable moments  from my last trip to Isaan involved plucking ants off myself and my bed all night in the best hotel we could find. 

Obviously you have problems finding hotels !

49 minutes ago, blazes said:

As we all know, CNN is the main source of fake news.

Imagine all those tourists trekking to Roi Et, Khon Kaen, and other hot spots of the flatlands, and imagining themselves in Nebraska or Alberta or Norfolk (and anywhere else that looks like a pancake that you can think of).

It's mainly President Donald Trump (and entourage) who consider CNN to be "fake news". But anyone who opposes him becomes "public enemy number 1" anyway. And CNN have exposed him for what he is.......a big fake.

But notwithstanding the CNN endorsement, a major side trip to Isaan is definitely in my future (along with gf).

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Actually this article has prompted me to go have a look.

Enjoy the last few years of tranquility boys as the Americans start to arrive followed by macas, Starbucks and 7/11 on every corner

Really? I thought Americans were not very numerous compared to toehrs. Where can I read about this influx?

1 hour ago, ttl said:

Be aware ISAAN covers a massive area.Sure there are some bright spots

However the majority of countryside that I know are 20 years behind the time

That is why Mukdahan's promised airport and rail line do not now appear on the schedled list

these days

Try finding a Plumber,Electrician,a Computer Tech.TV serviceman.a small motor mechanic,a radio repairer

Even the locals shake their heads when one asks for help.

Redefine Isaan I think

Not too many tourists need a plumber, electrician, or computer technician etc while on holiday... 

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Oops this won't go down well with the bashers.

Number one that says something not understandable

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

OMG ....   the thai bashers will be out in force today  !!

Follow-up on the not to be understood part.

Isaan is a very calm and relaxing part of Thailand, that really waiting to be explored by more people.
Wonderful nature and peace is why I choosed to stay there. 
I don´t mind a big city once in a while, bu would never like to live in that kind of stress, polluted air and crime ridden areas.

the region is famous for its spicy salads,

Not sure I would recommend the spicy salads , they have put many folk in hospital including myself , through lack of hygiene . Not to mention that Issan has a high rate of stomach cancer caused by raw fermented fish and spicy food to the extreme . 

3 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

CNN is Fake News! 

Such a totally ridiculous, shallow, meaningless statement. They might have a hard xn (sic) for Trump but that hardly qualifies CNN as fake (except in his eyes).

7 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

CNN is Fake News! 

Why advertise that you do not read the contributions of others, only narcissistically rush to scrawl your own graffito.

See posting #24 (not to mention the equally oblivious #39)

I'll take Chiang Mai any day over Isaan. Part of that is a bias--some of the most repulsive farang losers I've met went to Udon Thani-area villages and "bought" (with dowry) a local wife and think they're so amazing and special because they have a wife and kids.

Just now, InMyShadow said:

Yes it's where nearly all the tourists visit before they marry a Buffalo scrubber and head for the hills and would "never be seen dead ' in Pattaya all of a sudden

Ring a bell? emoji12.png

Yeah rings a bell... think I've been to both places a few times. 

Wouldn't like to spend all too much time in either of them. 

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

Isan . . . the REAL Thailand. No frills, no fakes, loads of friendship. CNN got this one right!

A chance to meet the uneducated masses who are their to serve their Bangkok masters :shock1:

Where you will have a chance to listen to obnoxiously load motorcycles and even louder trucks spewing dust and fumes wherever they feel like it!

Works for me!  :shock1:

A chance to meet the uneducated masses who are their to serve their Bangkok masters :shock1:
Where you will have a chance to listen to obnoxiously load motorcycles and even louder trucks spewing dust and fumes wherever they feel like it!
Works for me!  :shock1:
What about the thousands who have built mcmansion on the Gf's popas farm?
They all come across as deliriously happy. [emoji23][emoji23]

Archived