CNN names Isaan as top world destination in 2017

webfact

i rarely pay any attention to CNN and didn't read the article.  my guess is they've had to do these lists every year for years and years.  they can't keep putting the same names/locations down so they finally threw in isaan.  i spend about 10 days a month in buriram city, it is a nice place but i can't imagine going to isaan for 'tourism'.   i go there to see the GF's family and get out of bkk for awhile.  i really enjoy it but i don't think they typical tourist would.  maybe there would be some interest from the chinese ? not sure.  but i doubt the typical western tourist would find it isaan appealing.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, buick said:

i rarely pay any attention to CNN and didn't read the article.  my guess is they've had to do these lists every year for years and years.  they can't keep putting the same names/locations down so they finally threw in isaan.  i spend about 10 days a month in buriram city, it is a nice place but i can't imagine going to isaan for 'tourism'.   i go there to see the GF's family and get out of bkk for awhile.  i really enjoy it but i don't think they typical tourist would.  maybe there would be some interest from the chinese ? not sure.  but i doubt the typical western tourist would find it isaan appealing.

Oh but they do, providing that they know where to look...

Along the way from beautiful Kongchiam in Ubon province, to Korat, there are some very interesting spots to visit, such as Wat Laan Kuat in Sisaket for example, or the historic site of Phanom Rung in Buriram.

And that's just for the Southern part of the region...

Isaan is ok. Nice and quiet. Not much happening. We are living in Sri Songkhram. About 65 km from the nearest bigger city, Nakhon Phanom and Sakhon Nakon. Been living here for 8 years now. Working the land with my whife and brother in law. Somethimes i feel the urge for some 

Civilisation. Happens once a year. Than i pack a bag, head for the airport and take a flight to Bangkok. Maybee go to Pattaya or Cha-Am for a week. But as always, after 3 days i just wanna go home. Home to the good old country life. F*** civilisation and noise, tourists, angry stressed people. Give mee Isaan lifestyle, good for body and soul??

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

I'll take Chiang Mai any day over Isaan. Part of that is a bias--some of the most repulsive farang losers I've met went to Udon Thani-area villages and "bought" (with dowry) a local wife and think they're so amazing and special because they have a wife and kids.

With that attitude, anywhere you go I'll be glad not to be.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

I agree with CNN, Issan is a lovely place, i enjoy living here (sometimes).

Highlight of my week is going to the local big C having the beautiful young Issan ladies helping me with my shopping.:partytime2:

I pretend to have very poor sight. All the lovely ladies hold my hand...

First of all, CNN is not fake news. 

CNN is a very credible mainstream media organization.

They are not perfect but when they make errors, they correct them.

I understand that supporters of president trump are on board with his bizarre demonization of CNN because CNN doesn't act like an American propaganda organ of trump support like Fox.

Don't be fooled by such garbage!

As far as travel recommendations, Isaan is one of many in a long list.

It's not a news item per se. It's a travel FEATURE article type thing.

This is a popular thing to highlight areas of the world that are less on the global radar. It wouldn't be interesting to say the places to see now are the places that everyone already knows are worth seeing, like Rio de Janeiro. It's much more interesting to highlight more unexpected destinations. 

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

I'll take Chiang Mai any day over Isaan. Part of that is a bias--some of the most repulsive farang losers I've met went to Udon Thani-area villages and "bought" (with dowry) a local wife and think they're so amazing and special because they have a wife and kids.

Wow, so single blokes like you head for CM...Interesting....sad-face.gif.1ef8bfb9e802f978b4e3c4f82aa8e5e9.gif

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Why ?  It is a gem of an area that does not get the credit it deserves.  Since January 2014, many have found solace there.  It is quaint and charming like Bangkok and other areas use to be. 

a lot longer before 2014. lol

4 hours ago, ttl said:

Be aware ISAAN covers a massive area.Sure there are some bright spots

However the majority of countryside that I know are 20 years behind the time

That is why Mukdahan's promised airport and rail line do not now appear on the schedled list

these days

Try finding a Plumber,Electrician,a Computer Tech.TV serviceman.a small motor mechanic,a radio repairer

Even the locals shake their heads when one asks for help.

Redefine Isaan I think

Strange, my local market town has all the above job descriptions, and more.

What is interesting to me is that Bangkok; Pattaya and Phuket used to be just like Issan- pristine- with the friendliest people in the World not spoiled by the so called globalisation that is ruining the World at large.. Everything was natural and laid back.  Mass tourism has ruined these places and I expect eventually parts of Issan will end up the same way. I actually hope that the tourists don't go to Issan- it's one of the few places left in Thailand that remind me of the way Thailand used to be and a simpler way of life.

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Actually this article has prompted me to go have a look.

Enjoy the last few years of tranquility boys as the Americans start to arrive followed by macas, Starbucks and 7/11 on every corner

1. 7/11's are on every corner already.

2. You say in this post you've not been.

3. In other posts you are slagging the area and the locals and expats that live there.

4. So what's it to be, expert?

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

Just want to nab a Buffalo scrubber before they hit Pattaya.

Some of the old timers told legendary stories.

You think I want to go and see dust and rice growing? That's rhetorical

What is a buffalo scrubber....?

Does CNN even know where Isaan is.????

They seem to regard it as A CITY or village

Isaan is the largest designated ZONE in Thailand

It consists of 9 Provinces all with their CITYS however they are contrived

City Limits are often noted on the highways,hence  "REDUCE SPEED CITY LIMITS"

Never heard of a city definition yet,  these signs are a joke, written in English so

fer locals can read or comply

Please excuse me!

2 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Just want to nab a Buffalo scrubber before they hit Pattaya. 48 hours max

Why are you making disgusting comments about Issan ladies????

Many beautiful/honest/respectable ladies in Issan.

Please do everybody a favour, !!shut up !!

6 minutes ago, ttl said:

Does CNN even know where Isaan is.????

They seem to regard it as A CITY or village

Isaan is the largest designated ZONE in Thailand

It consists of 9 Provinces all with their CITYS however they are contrived

City Limits are often noted on the highways,hence  "REDUCE SPEED CITY LIMITS"

Never heard of a city definition yet,  these signs are a joke, written in English so

fer locals can read or comply

Please excuse me!

Yes, dude, CNN knows where Isaan is.

Isaan, Thailand

Chiang Mai? Bangkok? Phuket? Been there, done that. Those looking for a piece of Thailand that's still largely unexplored by the international market should head for the northeast region, referred to as Isaan. 
This vast section of Thailand is equipped with excellent infrastructure that includes several domestic airports and a range of upmarket hotels.

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/best-places-to-visit-in-2017/index.html

5 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Actually this article has prompted me to go have a look.

Enjoy the last few years of tranquility boys as the Americans start to arrive followed by macas, Starbucks and 7/11 on every corner

As the flight from USA to Thailand takes about 25 hours each way, I would not expect a flotilla of arrivals any time soon.

i love isaan !!!! 

my house is sandwiched between KK - udon thani - sakhon nakhon.   the people up there are far friendly and i never have a bad word said to me.

pattaya on the other hand ....................

17 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Just want to nab a Buffalo scrubber before they hit Pattaya. 48 hours max

Troll To$$er.

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

there are some very interesting spots to visit, such as Wat Laan Kuat in Sisaket for example, or the historic site of Phanom Rung in Buriram.

have any of your western friends made the journey to see these two places ?  when i went to phanom rung two years ago, i was the only farang there. 

my mom and dad love touring the churches and old ruins around europe.  but i'd never think of bringing them to buriram to see phanom rung.  they really want to see angkor wat so maybe someday they'll make it.

Archived