Please help: visa on arrival: transit, single entry with extension or multiple entry?

Please help me with suggestions: I arrive in Bangkok, transfer to the other airport, fly to Cambodia on same day. 4 days later, I return to Thailand for 10 days for vacation. I am eligible for visa on arrival. I tried to secure my transfer visa at the Embassy in my country, but I could not submit my documents because the flights did not have some mysterious barcode that they needed to have. So I have no visa. 

When I arrive, can I ask for a transit visa for my first entry? Or visa on arrival is just a simple single entry tourist visa and that's it?

If so, should I just apply for a single entry visa and then apply for another entry when I come back to Thailand in Phuket after my days in Cambodia? Is this possible?

Should I just apply for a multiple entry visa when I arrive in Bangkok and is this possible?

What is the easiest option? 
I really appreciate your help, thank you!

59 minutes ago, tudork said:

I am eligible for visa on arrival.

Ideally, you stay "air-side" on your first leg through Thailand.  Others may have more knowledge of how this is arranged (I haven't done this). 

Your airline may want to see your ticket leaving Thailand, before they will let you board, so have it ready to show.

If only coming to Thailand for 10-days on that 2nd leg, that is when you would use VOA. 

You don't need a Tourist Visa for this if you are planning short-stay, already have your departing ticket, and do not have a frequent or long-stay history in Thailand.  Just be sure to have 10K Baht worth of cash on your person (not on plastic - in cash or travelers checks only - more is better) plus proof of your departing ticket 10-days later (again, may need to show this to board the flight into Thailand).

Edited by JackThompson

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

What is your passport-country?

Ideally, you stay "air-side" on your first leg through Thailand.  Others may have more knowledge of how this is arranged (I haven't done this). 

Your airline may want to see your ticket leaving Thailand, before they will let you board, so have it ready to show.

If only coming to Thailand for 10-days on that 2nd leg, that is when you would use VOA (if from a qualifying country) or Visa Exempt. 

You don't need a Tourist Visa for this if you are planning short-stay, already have your departing ticket, and do not have a frequent or long-stay history in Thailand.  Just be sure to have 10K Baht worth of cash on your person (not on plastic - in cash or travelers checks only - more is better) plus proof of your departing ticket 10-days later (again, may need to show this to board the flight into Thailand).

Thanks! Total time between first entry and departure is 14 days, but 3 days of this will be in Cambodia. I already bought the tickets, so too late to change now, so I am switching airports on the day of arrival. I will have cash and tickets and accommodation proof, no problem about that. 

4 minutes ago, tudork said:

Thanks! Total time between first entry and departure is 14 days, but 3 days of this will be in Cambodia. I already bought the tickets, so too late to change now, so I am switching airports on the day of arrival. I will have cash and tickets and accommodation proof, no problem about that. 

Visa on arrival has to be paid for when you arrive in Thailand. Not sure how much, 1000 or 1500 baht?

You can't apply for any visas for Thailand once you are 'in' Thailand.

Visas for Thailand can be applied for in neighbouring countries at a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Visa on arrival has to be paid for when you arrive in Thailand. Not sure how much, 1000 or 1500 baht?

You can't apply for any visas for Thailand once you are 'in' Thailand.

Visas for Thailand can be applied for in neighbouring countries at a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Hi, thanks. I know I have to pay for the visa on arrival, no problem about that. But I don't want to apply while I am in Thailand. Basically, I am entering Thailand twice, in 4 days. Can I apply for visa on arrival each time? 

11 minutes ago, tudork said:

I am switching airports on the day of arrival.

That makes it a bit more complicated. 

I think you may be stuck paying for the VOA on your first entry, in order to get from one airport to the other, since you were unable to get a Transit Visa. 

Be sure to have the cash to show upon arrival in Thailand both times, in case they ask to see it.

Edit: Does anyone know if he can get a re-entry permit on a VOA?  I assume it would work, since he leaves 14 days after his first arrival.

Edited by JackThompson

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

That makes it a bit more complicated. 

I think you may be stuck paying for the VOA on your first entry, in order to get from one airport to the other, since you were unable to get a Transit Visa. 

Be sure to have the cash to show upon arrival in Thailand both times, in case they ask to see it.

Hey, thanks! Paying is no problem for me, I am just wondering if I can get two visas on arrival basically 4 days apart. If this is not a problem, then I should be ok... hopefully:) Thanks a lot anyway!

27 minutes ago, tudork said:

Hey, thanks! Paying is no problem for me, I am just wondering if I can get two visas on arrival basically 4 days apart. If this is not a problem, then I should be ok... hopefully:) Thanks a lot anyway!

I don't see why not, since you are clearly not using them to try to stay here long-term.  But I would try to get a "re-entry permit" from your departing-airport on your first pass through.  That could make your return-entry easier (no VOA line).

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I don't see why not, since you are clearly not using them to try to stay here long-term.  But I would try to get a "re-entry permit" from your departing-airport on your first pass through.  That could make your return-entry easier (no VOA line).

Ah, this sounds interesting! Thank you very much, I will investigate it!

@JackThompson People using VOA or visa exempt cannot get a reentry permit.

@tudork You can a get a Visa on Arrival each time you enter, that's not an issue. There is no limit to the number of VOAs you can get in a certain period of time. The cost of the VOA is 2,000 baht.

Edited by lkv

I do not think there is any way of transferring between Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang without passing through immigration.

Your best approach:

• On arrival in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), get a visa on arrival
  • On departure from Thailand to visit Cambodia, get a reentry permit to keep your 15-day permission to stay valid when you return. This costs 1,000 baht. You get it at the same desk that handles overstays (assuming you are flying from Don Muang).
  • When you come back to Thailand from Cambodia, there is no need to queue for another visa on arrival. Just enter your reentry permit number on the arrival form and join the immigration lines.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, lkv said:

People using VOA or visa exempt cannot get a reentry permit.

A re-entry permit can be obtained for any permit to stay. Whether it is worth the cost of one is up to the individual getting it.

In the OP's case the re-entry permit may not give enough days for the 2nd part of his trip so best to get another visa on arrival.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit can be obtained for any permit to stay. Whether it is worth the cost of one is up to the individual getting it.

In the OP's case the re-entry permit may not give enough days for the 2nd part of his trip so best to get another visa on arrival.

I looked at the OP's stated pre-booked itinerary before suggesting the reentry permit. Unless the OP intends booking a new return ticket to remain in Thailand for an extra 4 days, I can see no advantage in the more expensive visa on arrival, which can also involve long queues.

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I looked at the OP's stated pre-booked itinerary before suggesting the reentry permit. Unless the OP intends booking a new return ticket to remain in Thailand for an extra 4 days, I can see no advantage in the more expensive visa on arrival, which can also involve long queues.

The re-entry permit only keeps the remainder of the 15 days valid. He will lose 4 or 5 days of his original entry during his trip to Cambodia and plans on staying for another 10 days.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The re-entry permit only keeps the remainder of the 15 days valid. He will lose 4 or 5 days of his original entry during his trip to Cambodia and plans on staying for another 10 days.

By my reckoning, 14 days is less than 15. I am always loathe to question any advice you give, but I fail to see the advantage in a potentially long queue to get a visa on arrival, rather than the cheaper and quick process of getting a reentry permit.

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

By my reckoning, 14 days is less than 15. I am always loathe to question any advice you give, but I fail to see the advantage in a potentially long queue to get a visa on arrival, rather than the cheaper and quick process of getting a reentry permit.

I am not sure how he is counting his days. If he is not counting the day of arrival and departure it might put him over the 15 days.

15 hours ago, lkv said:

@JackThompson People using VOA or visa exempt cannot get a reentry permit.

@tudork You can a get a Visa on Arrival each time you enter, that's not an issue. There is no limit to the number of VOAs you can get in a certain period of time. The cost of the VOA is 2,000 baht.

Thanks! I have looked around the internets about this re-entry permit, someone seemed to believe that it is possible to get it for VOA. but I guess I will try, sounds a little easier this way. Thank you!

Hey, everyone, thanks so much! It sounds like I will explore first the re-entry permit. it will spare me the queue in Phuket. I am within the 15 days so it is not a problem. If this does not work, it's great to be assured that a second VOA works. Thank you everyone, it has been very helpful! I was a little stressed about this. 

I wonder what the problem with the transit visa actually is.   Just curious.  That would seem the most logical way of dealing with your initial arrival, and although I've never so far had to do it myself, people must have to do the transfer between Suv. and DM all the time and it's not like Bangkok isn't sort of a regional hub.  Did you try inquiring with the airline about the "barcode" thing?  They might know what that's all about.  But I would have thought your confirmation showing itinerary & details & booking no. would've been enough.