HOLIDAY TRAGEDY Manchester grandad Shaun Walley electrocuted ‘by cheap Thailand hotel’s HANDRAIL’ as family fight to raise £10,000 to bring body home

snoop1130

20 hours ago, Here It Is said:

Both very valid points. 

If the deceased had been covered by a half decent travel insurance policy then his body would have been repatriated at the earliest and would obviously save further grief to his family and the unnecessary poncing about on crowdfunding websites.

The negligence of the hotel could be dealt with thereafter, if at all, but travel insurance would also cover legal expenses, up to a point, in pursuing a claim against the hotel.  

In summary, always sensible to have a comprehensive travel insurance policy which generally costs no more than an afternoon down the pub.

Wouldn't want to buy a round in your pub  then! Once you hit retirement age, the cost of insurance goes through the roof. I am a pensioner who has living here for a few years, and the last time I checked for health insurance cover, the annual premium was into the thousands of pounds! I presume the same weighting goes on to travel insurance.

Edited by sambum

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, LomSak27 said:

I generaly expect places I stay in to not kill you. I can understand you do not feel this way. Have fun, and on the upside, at least its quicker than the long con.

Cheers

Tourists are far more likely to die on the roads here than from a wiring fault, so why not say don't go on the roads?

I'm more likely to be killed by an IS terrorist than to die of electrocution in a Thai hotel, so I put it in the same basket of things I can't do anything about and get on with life in LOS rather than stressing about where i'm going to stay.

PS, if electrical safety is a big issue, don't visit LOS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

19 hours ago, sambum said:

Wouldn't want to buy a round in your pub  then! Once you hit retirement age, the cost of insurance goes through the roof. I am a pensioner who has living here for a few years, and the last time I checked for health insurance cover, the annual premium was into the thousands of pounds! I presume the same weighting goes on to travel insurance.

If talking about insurance in Thailand, IMO it's just a scam, but they assume the farang will be staying private rather than in a crowded confusing public hospital.

It's long past time the Thai government provided expat health insurance at a reasonable rate in public hospitals- no private insurance company will.

19 hours ago, sambum said:

I've just run a travel insurance quote through the Post Office for a 68 year old for one month of coverage:

Single-trip Premier policy quotes GBP 155.22 with no pre-existing medical conditions and GBP 354.46 with a pre-existing medical condition of angina in addition to having had a heart attack in the last five to ten years as well as a current smoker.

The policy also provides up to GBP 25,000.00 of legal expenses.

Had the gentleman had a serious accident and survived then medical bills would likely run to the 10s of thousands, if not more.

8 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

I've just run a travel insurance quote through the Post Office for a 68 year old for one month of coverage:

Single-trip Premier policy quotes GBP 155.22 with no pre-existing medical conditions and GBP 354.46 with a pre-existing medical condition of angina in addition to having had a heart attack in the last five to ten years as well as a current smoker.

The policy also provides up to GBP 25,000.00 of legal expenses.

Had the gentleman had a serious accident and survived then medical bills would likely run to the 10s of thousands, if not more.

I always took the cheaper policy and would not have claimed if I had had a problem with one or more of my pre existing medical problems.

It was only for travel purposes and not for medical conditions other than accidents anyway.

I have long accepted that if I have another or a repeat of a serious medical problem I have no wish to let the medical profession mutilate me again.

7 hours ago, electric said:

30 day free visa exempt entry into Thailand is hugely convenient, and I suggest more than enough time for the average visitor. Doesn't get any simpler. Arrive at Swampy and get 30 days free.

Welcome to Thailand.

Think about the overseas holidays you had during your working years. How often did you need more than a month in any country ?

Even the 60 day Tourist Visa is silly simple to get from a Thai Consulate in farang land.

I don't know how Thai Immi can make entry to LOS any easier than it already is for the short term holiday maker.

Certainly, long term stayers in LOS face a different scenario, but this topic is about helping the Thai tourist industry, which realistically means short term visitors.

I'm not sure you have any idea what you are talking about.  To get a holiday Tourist Visa for Thailand in Australia which you will be able to stay 3 months for a first time applicant is quite a complicated procedure.  I have covered my experience in applying on other posts on Thai Visa, they are complicated to say the least.  It is really 2 visas, one for the 1st 60 days and then an extension for 30 days which you can do at Thai immigration in Thailand.  The 1st 60 days you need a current hard copy bank statement from your bank showing Aus $800 credit no older then 5 days ( not easy for online accounts at short notice), hotel booking confirmation, exact date of arrival and flight number of arrival, supply of passport photographs, an application forms and 2 sets of copies filled in correctly, pass port pictures and copies of your passport as well as actual pass port, all delivered or posted to a Thai Consul in your Australian State with the application fee $55 I think now.  Then wait anything up to 10 days (18 days on one time for me) to get the 1st 60 day part ...then once in Thailand after 55 days you do much the same all over again at Thai Immigration to get the 30 day extension which can take up all day if you are a novice and don't get it right, I can tell you it's really a new application and for a novice it can be tough going.  In Malaysia and many other countries you stop at the immigration desk, put you thumb on the spot, put your passport on another spot, look at the camera and bingo you have a 90 day tourist visa, don't have to tell them your coming.  Not a 30 day visa, it's a 90 day tourist visa that takes about 30 seconds.

There are thousands of retirees who would like to come to Thailand for 3 months at a time and then go back home and do it once or twice a year E.G Me.  I now have a retirement visa issued in Australia but I still do the 3 months bit at 2 times a year.  The outlook is I may stay for longer periods.

Edited by David Walden