Go fund me? - Go fund yourself.

Scouse123

9 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Strange relationship with your friends If you enjoy upsetting them.

The concepy of crowdfunding was a good one, but ALWAYS open to perversion by losers, those who refuse to accept responsibility for their own conduct.

I can tell right away you'd like my friends. And they you. They use words like loser, responsibility (conduct) like yogic mantras. 

Strange? You don't know the half of it.

When in BKK area...PM me for meetup details.

Another positive note, (albeit this was not an internet funding exercise):
few years ago, one of my friends raised about 50.000 $ for a liver transplant for someone that I had met in passing.
The person receiving the transplant and the person donating are both doing very well, and guess what, 
almost all of the money was paid back as he could continue his work and make a living.

Edited by KKr

I have a good friend in USA..He had heart surgery and then he had a stroke which was first thought to be a brain tumor. His best friend set up a Go Fund Me page which raised $8000 and this helped him immensely while he was out of work. At first I thought this was very tacky but now I can see the value of this service.  The key is to be certain the need is legitimate and I for one will not contribute to visitors without travel insurance. I buy this for each long stay here since I was forced to enroll in USA Medicare.

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

I bet the last people to "Go Fund" are the people who have been "Funded" themselves before.  Screw them all.  Especially when GoFundMe takes out a 5 percent fee from each donation and a 3 percent processing fee. In total, about 8 percent of fees are taken out of each donation through the fundraising site.  I'll just pay my own way thank you.  I recommend others do the same.  I give to people in need, just not some ganja puffing hippie backpacker who thought bungie jumping in a third world nation would be awesome.  Ran outta money did ya? Jump with no rope next time.

Only 8 per cent.....research how much money actually gets spent on the stated cause from many 'respectable' organisations like WWF and the many 'help the children' do gooders. Closer to 80 or 90% disappears in administration costs supporting the organisations.

I recall many years ago in Queensland, Australia, the Government threatened to revoke the charitable organisation status of any organisation if less than 5% of funds collected were expended on the stated cause. 5 bloody percent. The administration and staff were living the good life on other peoples (suckers) money.

Edited by tryasimight

36 minutes ago, mamypoko said:

I can tell right away you'd like my friends. And they you. They use words like loser, responsibility (conduct) like yogic mantras. 

Strange? You don't know the half of it.

When in BKK area...PM me for meetup details.

I think you misunderstand me.

What I said was that crowdfunding was open to abuse by losers, etc.

I was not specifically referring to anyone who has benefitted, but saying the concept, while being good, was always going to be perverted.

Edited by F4UCorsair

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

I think you misunderstand me.

What I said was that crowdfunding was open to abuse by losers, etc.

I was not specifically referring to anyone who has benefitted, but saying the concept, while being good, was always going to be perverted.

I was just being thin skinned.

The offer stands.

Ba ba blacksheep :)         Not a joke, I really did meet Mr. Conrad 

Edited by mamypoko

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm thinking about setting up a ' Go fund me '  for a round the world cruise ....  :shock1:   reckon I need about $15k ....

I thought you had enough money to do that because I remember you always fly first class.  Try flying economy Steven you will need less than 15k.  Don't worry too much about the drunks or screaming kids.

10 hours ago, mamypoko said:

Respectfully disagree OP. Helping, volunteering, donating, especially to total strangers and strays has been nothing but good for me. To be fair, my philanthropic behaviors often upset my friends - and that is just another bonus.

Are you alright? Most have Unlimited Funds and soft in the head to say something like that :welcomeani:

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Only 8 per cent.....research how much money actually gets spent on the stated cause from many 'respectable' organisations like WWF and the many 'help the children' do gooders. Closer to 80 or 90% disappears in administration costs supporting the organisations.

I recall many years ago in Queensland, Australia, the Government threatened to revoke the charitable organisation status of any organisation if less than 5% of funds collected were expended on the stated cause. 5 bloody percent. The administration and staff were living the good life on other peoples (suckers) money.

Yep.  Check the recent news on the Red Cross.  And this is by no means there greatest loss.  To this day they have no idea where all the 9/11 money went.  I remember when the tsunami hit japans nuclear power plant and the Red Cross put donation boxes everywhere with photos of that specific tragedy on them.  One problem.  The Japanese government refused donations.  The Red Cross put in fine print at the bottom of the ads that they reserved the right to contribute to the disasters of their choosing.  Nothing is more sickening than the Breast Cancer scam in the US though.  More people die from complications from broken hips than do from breast cancer but from the way they promote it you would think seeing a woman walking down the street would be a rare occurrence or genetic mutation.  GMAFB.  Who cares about heart disease and diabetes when we have a Superbowl Party to go to right girls?!!!

On 09/11/2017 at 9:54 AM, tryasimight said:

https://www.worldwildlife.org/about/financials

On 11/9/2017 at 1:49 PM, Searat7 said:

I have a good friend in USA..He had heart surgery and then he had a stroke which was first thought to be a brain tumor. His best friend set up a Go Fund Me page which raised $8000 and this helped him immensely while he was out of work. At first I thought this was very tacky but now I can see the value of this service.  The key is to be certain the need is legitimate and I for one will not contribute to visitors without travel insurance. I buy this for each long stay here since I was forced to enroll in USA Medicare.

Why were you forced to enroll in Medicare?        Medicare Part A is free and enrollment in part B is voluntary. 

On 11/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, Berkshire said:

I've never given money to a Go Fund page and never will.  I wonder who the heck would do that....especially to complete strangers. 

bleeding liberal hearts would give money to close the gap the have created in their lives between azz hole's thumb suking finger pointers  .  ahh ...but it will not work  , they will keep trying  to shed  their image  .............

1 hour ago, mikiea said:

you have friends ?    surely you jest 

What point are you trying to make? 

That he chooses to donate his money to causes he thinks benefit them and maybe him in other ways makes him some kind of loner/weirdo?

Why does it bother you what he does with HIS money?

On 11/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, Kadilo said:

That he chooses to donate his money to causes he thinks benefit them and maybe him in other ways makes him some kind of loner/weirdo?

it does not bother me , never thought about it until he started tooting his own horne ....charitable causes are fine  , if you give , do it and close your mouth . when you mention it your credibility is out the window . that is MY point , if you do not see that ?,.....well you should ...

On 11/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, Kadilo said:

why are you talking about opm ?  (other people's money)

These go find me and just giving sites are great when they fail though. The danny glass (geezer who crashed bike and killed pregnant mrs) was on a roll at one point and got kiboshed. Raising money for legal fees! The chap who drove into and killed a mother in Udon thai was a good cause and fair play to those who donated funds to help the woman's child who survived. The OP is right though crowd funding is out of control and poorly regulated.

Well said mate. I agree with you 100%, unfortunately people like you and me are a dying breed... today's society, especially in the West, seems to be all about "you owe me" or "I'm entitled to...". It sickens me! The main reason I left Europe 8 yrs. ago. 

If you think it's bad now, wait for the next generation... 

Another war is what's needed to put a lot of people back into reality. 

I agree with the OP that it's a problem when people start relying more on asking for donations than taking precautions and responsibility themselves, but as has already been mentioned in this topic there will always be cases where either expenses that the traveller thought were covered by their insurance is not, or unforeseen medical conditions that need urgent funding.

As someone who has a valid motorbike drivers license, an international driving permit, a valid travel insurance, wears a helmet, and usually tries to read the insurance fine print and ask questions about what is covered and what is not, I cringe a bit every time a new "scooter accident victim in Thailand asking for donations" pops up.

Then I remember the first time I came to Thailand as a young and dumb version of myself, without either a motorbike drivers license nor international driving permit and still rented a scooter because I saw everybody driving around on these things that look just like mopeds, which don't require a drivers license in my home country. Also, my friends who had been here before said "no problem" and I was too stupid to believe it. Knowing what's included and what is not in an insurance policy sometimes feels like trying to decipher the Thai alphabet, so I can actually understand that some (especially younger) folks end up thinking they are covered even though they're not, especially since policies vary from company to company regarding what's considered a "high risk activity".

Having said that, I leave it to the family, friends and acquaintances of the victim to sort out the funding. 

Edited by BadCash

• 1 month later...