E-cigarettes included in Phuket beach smoking ban

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Vaping in public is already illegal in Thailand as it is by law already considered the same as smoking, Watcharin Thintalang Director of the Phuket DMCR’s Marine and Coastal Management Division, told The Phuket News.

This sentence reads as though smoking in public is illegal, or so my pedantic mind would interpret it!

Just now, smedly said:

The beach smoking ban is about littering so most of the posts in this topic are pointless

No.

Smoking has been banned (on Patong beach) - as opposed to it being an anti-littering law as you suggest.  Laws against littering already exist.

This thread is about e-cigs - which are already illegal - thereby making the thread pointless.

23 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No.

Smoking has been banned (on Patong beach) - as opposed to it being an anti-littering law as you suggest.  Laws against littering already exist.

This thread is about e-cigs - which are already illegal - thereby making the thread pointless.

No

Sorry but you are wrong - this topic and all other recent topics concerning smoking on beaches is about littering

the subject matter of a general ban on smoking on beaches as recently announced by (deleted) in Authority  is about littering of cigarette butts on the beaches - nothing else

as for another ban on e-cigs in general - yes that is also supposed to be in place

as for littering with an e-cig as per the recently announced ban on smoking on beaches (because of littering) - how on earth can you cause litter using and e-cig

This whole thing just gets more ridiculous by the day

as I keep saying - this should be a clamp down on general littering across the whole of Thailand - someone caught littering should be facing fines not someone using an ashtray

2 hours ago, mike1967 said:

So, if you can't buy them and can't bring one with you how is it possible to legally own one?

There isn't a way to legally own a Vaping device - but guess they ralize people have them in their luggage and get them thru anyway.  Not illegal in Vietnam, its not even illegal to smoke cannabis, its illegal to grow & sell it, but not smoke it - go figure.

1 hour ago, SoulWater said:

Very good point mike1967 but they have already figured that one out - referencing a TV article about closing and taking the money out of inactive bank accounts

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've not heard of that one but no doubt it's true. In 8 years my visa has been cut from a one year visa to a 60 day visa. This is clearly the way forward. As we say "TIT", THIS IS THAILAND.

So much confusion. The Main litter is way worse than cigarette butts.
E cigarettes are completely illegal.
You cannot buy them here legally.
You cannot bring them into Thailand.
Why do I keep seeing them being used in public?
Why are they illegal anyway?
The only thing I see the police doing is road and driving related.
Everything else seems outside the law.

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, ezflip said:

Which is it? They don't want people smoking because of cig butts littering the beaches OR they don't want people to smoke, period?

This new law was put in place because of littering... As far as I know 'vaping' does not litter.

I seem to recollect that the ban was implemented to reduce smoke emissions... and are enforcing it with what we perceive as a littering fine, regardless of wether you are, or are not going too.

because, quite frankly, it’s damn damn hard for our head to get around the concept of human exhallention being fined

lol... so that takes care of breathing out, now  they just  have to figure out an enforcement protocol to fine you for breathing in (two tiered, of course)

anyway... that’s why you can’t breath out vaped fluids.

Edited by farcanell

8 hours ago, ezflip said:

Which is it? They don't want people smoking because of cig butts littering the beaches OR they don't want people to smoke, period?

This new law was put in place because of littering... As far as I know 'vaping' does not litter.

Perfect proof that it's actually all about control. Makes them feel important.

I think we now all know that the smoking ban is not about smoke or litter.  It is just about providing income opportunities for the local officers of the law.  I really doubt that the violations will ever be reported to the police station and will be handled with a fine on the spot.  

I truly suggest that everyone avoid the beaches in every way!  It was not long ago that the police planted drugs on a reporter and arrested him. It was reported in the Nation.   A cigarette butt is far easier to plant and the fines are draconian to say the least!

1510279992_1-org.jpg

"People can still use their e-cigarettes in the designated smoking areas."

.....but you'll get 10 years in the slammer.  If you are smoking those illegal e-cigarettes under the cover of darkness, then that'll be 20 years in the slammer.

You might as well slit your wrists now and save yourself all the hassle!

4 hours ago, farcanell said:

I seem to recollect that the ban was implemented to reduce smoke emissions... and are enforcing it with what we perceive as a littering fine, regardless of wether you are, or are not going too.

because, quite frankly, it’s damn damn hard for our head to get around the concept of human exhallention being fined

lol... so that takes care of breathing out, now  they just  have to figure out an enforcement protocol to fine you for breathing in (two tiered, of course)

anyway... that’s why you can’t breath out vaped fluids.

Of   course !  Smoking  creates   airbourne pollutants. Vile!

So  when  you use  your   noisy  2 stroke   motorbike  to   go  down  to the  7/11.5 the  emissions  are  perfectly acceptable  even if  you only  go  to   by a  pack  of  "Wisdom "  cheap and  nasty   chemical  laden  local    zigg a   rettes. 

This  is  just pandering  to  a  collective   who  wish  to   create  a  pointless  objective  to  obviate the  more  urgent  attention  to issues  of  greater   harm.

The  Tobacco  Cartels  have  already  been  receiving   compensations  for  the  insignificant   downturn in  profits.

Wake  up   Puppets!

Oh !   Sorry.

Puppets  are...