Egyptian deported for 10-year overstay

Rimmer

9 hours ago, gilo said:

I overstayed 11 years but cleared the overstay in 2014 before the bans came into play.

Just curious, how did that work? Whenever I'm staying at a hotel, or rent an apartment, they check my passport, sometimes even whether I have a valid visa. Same when I visit a bank other than my own branch. How could someone not notice and rat you out?

17 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I know the guy as a Co owner of a restaurant with his Thai GF/wife?????didn't know he overstayed his visa.Thought his wife did his paperwork  but obviously she did not.sad.?

Sure. Thought his wife did the paperwork and never checked it? Pull the other one!

18 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I know the guy as a Co owner of a restaurant with his Thai GF/wife?????didn't know he overstayed his visa.Thought his wife did his paperwork  but obviously she did not.sad.?

Ignorance is not an excuse, and you are responsible for your own visa eligibility requirements.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, Ossy said:

So much for the farang-tracking system that the Junta has boasted as being amongst its list of achievements. How many Immigration officers were aware that something was wrong, during this 10-year no show, I wonder? And simply couldn't be arsed to act as soon as the computer 'rang' to show that his entry visa had expired.

If he's been here on a 10 year overstay then how would his details get into the computer of the junta tracking system given that they only came to power 3 years ago?

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just curious, how did that work? Whenever I'm staying at a hotel, or rent an apartment, they check my passport, sometimes even whether I have a valid visa. Same when I visit a bank other than my own branch. How could someone not notice and rat you out?

It was not difficult really. If you are not causing problems I think most Thai either do not know or care about your visa status. If however business/property matters are tied in then maybe a different picture. A bank account was set up in the days when an exempt entry was enough, phone sim's could be bought at every 7/11. hotels never really made a fuss but I tended to stay in Thai level hotels (amazing what can be waived and discount obtained if an offer to pay cash up front!). Domestic flights no check of any visa. In 11 years (and indeed since) have never had been asked by the BIB for my passport nor had any legal problems. After a while I did not even think about it - that is until the news emerged of new rules to be introduced and then with great trepidation, I bit the bullet and surrendered at Survanabhumi airport - returning 4 days later visa exempt. Since then have kept my visa status clean. But those that have said that those on overstays must have been always been looking over their shoulder or avoiding places that was not really my experience. However, once cleared there was a tremendous sense of relief. At the time I shared my story I was encouraging others on overstay to legalise their status before the banning rules came into force and to be fair immigration allowed a very long window between when these rules were first mooted (2014) and when they came in (2016) to allow a lot of us to sort out our situation here.  

Cambodians,Lao,Burmese and Philippinoes can hide from police for so many years because they look much similar to Thais and can speak Thai quickly,but this man with middle eastern looks?Where did he feed himself,and propably sent money back home,from?he must have had many jobs,bought some assests,made some banking transachions,dealt a couple of times with some government office,stayed in a hotel,or apartment,here or there. during all those years,no one ever noticed his existance?? if an apparntly simple man can do this,then  I can not but wonder how many proffesional criminals,fugitives or even terrorists can"hide" for decades in this country?

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The way my friend told me(visa overstay champion), you gotta find a lady and have her take you under her wings so to speak.  She sets you up and everything is settled with a bank account, a house or apartment in her name, stuff like that.  He said he never got caught because he lived with her and acted like a tourist.

Edited by james1995

On 11/10/2017 at 10:39 PM, gilo said:

I overstayed 11 years but cleared the overstay in 2014 before the bans came into play. Additionally, my situation was also different in that I surrendered at the airport hence was not blacklisted and just fined 20k. I suspect that out in the countryside there may be farangs who have many times longer overstays but who stay under the radar. But to explicitly answer your question a visa agent that I used said that I had been the longest he had known of until a year or so when a H-K national cleared his with a 15 year overstay. The days of being able to simply financially settle the matter on surrendering ended in 2016. Deportation, however, was always available for those caught.

That is interesting. So this Egyptian guy stayed 7 years on overstay and was only obliged to pay 20 k baht at the airport at that time. And he also could come back the next day. Now they catch him 3 years later and he gets 10 years ban. Is it fair to apply the new laws (introduced in 2014) retroactively?

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

That is interesting. So this Egyptian guy stayed 7 years on overstay and was only obliged to pay 20 k baht at the airport at that time. And he also could come back the next day. Now they catch him 3 years later and he gets 10 years ban. Is it fair to apply the new laws (introduced in 2014) retroactively?

The laws are not being applied retroactively.  A little over three years ago he could have come clean and paid up.  He decided not to do that.

What is Thai visa coming to??

Three pages,many questions, if the guy was ratted on??

and nobody mention the Thai wife?

C'mon fellows, this is classic no fuzz easy peasy Thai lady divorce style.

A word in the right ear, she get business, house, assetts, everything.

And this must be the good warning to guys having house and business under Thai lady name...

You are the mouse who is on a trap and just taken a bite of the cheese.555

On 11/11/2017 at 5:17 PM, loll said:

Cambodians,Lao,Burmese and Philippinoes can hide from police for so many years because they look much similar to Thais and can speak Thai quickly,but this man with middle eastern looks?

I bet that there are even ways to leave the country illegally after overstaying. But problems would arise if you wanted to travel to Thailand again in the future.

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I bet that there are even ways to leave the country illegally after overstaying. But problems would arise if you wanted to travel to Thailand again in the future.

Yes, theres usually a answer for every problem in Thailand.

I could suggest it might involve 20,000baht and a ticket to Isaan.

But i didnt say that.555

So many people that complain about the Visa requirements. Wonder why?

I just read there are 100,000 people here currently on overstay.

Mostly a bunch of selfish losers. And probably many criminals.

Disgusting.

Edited by bkk6060