95 ‘illegal aliens’ arrested in Phuket in three days

webfact

95 ‘illegal aliens’ arrested in Phuket in three days

Eakkapop Thongtub

1510294142_1-org.jpg

Immigration officials conduct a raid to arrest illegal aliens. Photo: RTP Immigration Division

PHUKET: A team made up of officers from the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division, the 5th Infantry Division of the Royal Thai Army, Phuket Provincial Police and Patong Police have arrested 95 ‘illegal aliens’ between Nov 8-10.

The announcement of the arrests were made at a press conference held this morning (Nov 10) at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town led by Maj Gen Jessada Saiyun Commander of the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division Region 6 based in Songkhla, and Col Nattapakin Kwanchaiyapruek Deputy Commander of the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division Region 6.

Maj Gen Jessada and Col Nattapakin were joined at the press conference by officers from the Phuket Immigration Office and others.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/95-illegal-aliens-arrested-in-phuket-in-three-days-64642.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-10

It is the correct term to use.

a·li·en
ˈālēən/
adjective

1. 1. 
    belonging to a foreign country or nation.
    • noun

1. 1. 
    a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.
    "an illegal alien"
    synonymer: foreigner, nonnative, immigrant, emigrant, émigré
    "an illegal alien"

41 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

That's a large number in a short time.

Did the tailors stop paying protection?

"The 95 arrested were; 62 Indians, 11 Pakistanis, six Egyptians, 16 others"

Perhaps this has something to do with these arrests?

https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/15-phuket-police-officers-investigation-bribes-allegations

59 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

That's a large number in a short time.

Did the tailors stop paying protection?

"The 95 arrested were; 62 Indians, 11 Pakistanis, six Egyptians, 16 others"

I've often wondered about the shop clerks working in the t-shirt and souvenir stalls lining Soi Banzaan, and the cell phone shops and "That's Siam" shops in Jungceylon. I believe that "shop attendant" is a protected occupation, but nearly all of these places seem to be staffed by Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, etc

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Another newspaper mentioned payments of 100 million baht A MONTH going around to avoid being arrested. 

Thats quite some money they are willing to spend to avoid visa runs. I know sitting in a van to the border sucks, but you can also just fly first class (or in a private jet) and still save a ton of money.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Another newspaper mentioned payments of 100 million baht A MONTH going around to avoid being arrested. 

Thats quite some money they are willing to spend to avoid visa runs. I know sitting in a van to the border sucks, but you can also just fly first class (or in a private jet) and still save a ton of money.

visa runs won't help anyone working in a job that's not eligible for foreigners

The reported amount of bribes for the number of people (140) works out to a monthly outlay of more than the 5 year Thai Elite visa.  There is more to this than just being an illegal alien because they likely could have had a Thai Elite visa for one months bribes.  Obviously they are paying to hide some illegal activity as well -- or the bribes would not make sense.

11 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The reported amount of bribes for the number of people (140) works out to a monthly outlay of more than the 5 year Thai Elite visa.  There is more to this than just being an illegal alien because they likely could have had a Thai Elite visa for one months bribes.  Obviously they are paying to hide some illegal activity as well -- or the bribes would not make sense.

Yes what are they hiding and has it been shut down or simply taken over. 

On 11/10/2017 at 5:02 AM, DrDave said:

I've often wondered about the shop clerks working in the t-shirt and souvenir stalls lining Soi Banzaan, and the cell phone shops and "That's Siam" shops in Jungceylon. I believe that "shop attendant" is a protected occupation, but nearly all of these places seem to be staffed by Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, etc

Many of the Indians are second or third generation Thais, be careful not to judge nationality on skin colour, as in the US or the UK you would not assume a black person is African.

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

Are the ROYAL THAI POLICE that useless, which only able to make arrest when the army guys are around? 

The "Royal" was only introduced about 20 years ago by some upstart policeman, and only exists in the English version.

In Thai they are known simply as the National Thai Police.

15 hours ago, the guest said:

It is the correct term to use.

a·li·en
ˈālēən/
adjective

1. 1. 
    belonging to a foreign country or nation.
    • noun

1. 1. 
    a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.
    "an illegal alien"
    synonymer: foreigner, nonnative, immigrant, emigrant, émigré
    "an illegal alien"

maybe so but the word has a nasty connotation like in the movie alien. it implies a different species. foreigner as in person from another country is much nicer.

38 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

maybe so but the word has a nasty connotation like in the movie alien. it implies a different species. foreigner as in person from another country is much nicer.

All english countries have laws that refer to illegal aliens (long before movies focused on aliens from outer space).  Only in recent years have motivated political groups tried to rewrite political correctness -- but there is a political aim to that and it is to legitimize illegal immigration with the hope new immigrants would be more likely to support a more left policies etc.  (i.e. changing the terminology to undocumented immigrants; immigrant being preferred by wiping out the distinction from illegal immigration to now undocumented).  The nasty connotation is ... your misunderstanding of standard english.

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

We can all havea different opnion on that, i think it has a bit of an exotic ring, I would rather be called Alien than Farang any day.

18 hours ago, DrDave said:

They probably are Thai citizens. I know many such people.

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

The scourge is upon us, hopefully they will follow up with a clean out in Pattaya. A short walk to Royal Garden Plaza is like running the gauntlet, accosted by people who look like indians every several meters :(

There are very many naturalised Indians in Thailand. I don't know how that came about but it's an historical thing. All or most of the tailors in Bangkok appear to be Indians, and I believe that the land Nana Plaza occupies is owned by an Indian family.

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Good riddance to the illegal alien scum.

How about we send you off to go and live in India on a peasant's wage and see how long you last before you try and find somewhere nicer to live?  Then we will call you scum on message boards.