Scooter crash victim Stacey Liddle fears being held hostage over Thailand hospital bill

rooster59

9 hours ago, scotchonrocks said:

Jeez you should hope someone never gives you the depth of empathy and compassion you dole out to others.  Have no heart?  Are you unable to put yourself in her shoes?  And please don't give us the line that she should have had insurance, that is just not the point.

In her case, no, I have no empathy or compassion. 

The woman is disparaging the hospital that saved her leg and is taking good care of her.  she falsely claims that there are dogs, cats and rats running around and that the hospital is a potential source of infection to her leg simply to generate sympathy from idiots who she hopes will send her money.

She has been able to post selfies but no photos of the "terrible" conditions and vermin that she claims exist in that hospital.  I wonder why that is?

Why would I give you the line that she should have had insurance?  She has insurance but she voluntarily voided the policy by riding a motorbike.  That is the point.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, transam said:

Why did the renters give her a bike with no license...?

Why did she rent a bike when she knew she had no licence?

Did she have no licence, though, was that mentioned anywhere?  The issue of her having no insurance cover because she voided the policy was mentioned, she may have had a licence.

8 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You know what f&## irritates me about you people?

Here we have a woman who also did something not as stupid, wanted to have some fun, rented a bike and had insurance.

The moment she rode that bike she did not have insurance and doing that constitutes being very stupid.

8 hours ago, transam said:

Why did the renters rent her a bike without a license which the renters insurance would demand....?

Why did the renters NOT ask to see a license so they would comply with "regulations"

Why didn't the renters tell the lady to bugger off cos she had no license ..?

Why didn't the woman bugger off from the idea of renting a bike when she had no licence?

12 hours ago, nasanews said:

I once admitted in one of Pattaya main hospitals emergency section, as soon as they finished the CAT scan they brought me bank card payment device to pay the invoice before I was discharged from the hospital still lying on bed!?   No money no take care in LOS.

Try getting anything done in the US or Australia .....  same thing,  they want to know how they will be paid before any costly work is done.

21 hours ago, impulse said:

Better to throw the responsibility on to the scooter rental agencies to provide hospital coverage in case of an accident.   Like they do in civilized places, where a reasonable (not ridiculously low) level of hospital cover is mandatory just to put a vehicle on the road. 

And if the rider doesn't qualify and they rent the scooter to him/her anyway- then it's on the rental company to reach deeeep into their pockets and pay.   That would solve several problems with one reasonable rule.  

This whole scenario was well discussed when this poor lady's incident was posted in the past.

You are effectively asking the motorbike renters to do policing work. Many of these renters are small businesses at the moment, so getting a good insurance policy will put up their costs and those of renting a motorbike. It also does not address the scenario of tourists being in hospital in Thailand for reasons other than a motorcycle accident, where they were riding. How would you expect a renter to know if a person is not qualified to ride a motorcycle... who knows what reasons the insurance companies might come up with when faced with a serious bill.

I believe tourists should arrive with suitable medical and accident insurance, and not rent if they are not qualified, Their responsibility, caveat emptor.

Renting with obligatory insurance nevertheless is a good idea, and I believe CTPL cover (3rd party cheap local very limited insurance) is already included. I knew of a local rental company that offered more comprehensive policy, but she told me tourists rarely took up the option due to the added cost.

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Try getting anything done in the US or Australia .....  same thing,  they want to know how they will be paid before any costly work is done.

Actually in Australia if you are a tourist and hold a licence, hire any sort vehicle and are involved in an accident you are covered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC)  The insurance is incorporated in the registration.  So have licence and vehicle registered, no problems medical costs and compensation covered.

20 hours ago, the guest said:

Don't come to Thailand without valid insurance, and don't think you can get treated for free at the expense of the country. Isn't it about time immigration made it compulsory for all Aliens to have insurance ?

Great bit of thinking, i wish it could be the way it worked, but when a Thai or anyone for that matter comes to my country, you get seen to regardless, Insurance or not, and that's why the UK leads the way.

5 minutes ago, Rob Harrison said:

Great bit of thinking, i wish it could be the way it worked, but when a Thai or anyone for that matter comes to my country, you get seen to regardless, Insurance or not, and that's why the UK leads the way.

I must have missed the part where medical assistance was refused due to no insurance.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Try getting anything done in the US or Australia .....  same thing,  they want to know how they will be paid before any costly work is done

No.The US has right to trearment laws. Show up at the emergency room and you will be treated regardless of your insurance status.

Edited by Meljames

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I took care of my elderly mom and when we would check into the hospital in America,  they would have me sign a statement that I would be responsible for any and all charges no matter what insurance she did or did not have.  Otherwise not checked in. 

You lot that a squabbling over whether she had a licence or not does not matter, the policy was voided as it does not cover scooter riding as it is deemed a high risk activity.

Where did you read that her particular policy did not cover scooter riding?

39 minutes ago, tonray said:

I took care of my elderly mom and when we would check into the hospital in America,  they would have me sign a statement that I would be responsible for any and all charges no matter what insurance she did or did not have.  Otherwise not checked in. 

Sounds like good business. The hospital could get stiffed with a large unpaid bill otherwise. 

Most cases if you're skint, the hospital will send the staff social worker around to help you through the paperwork to get subsidies or set up some kind of payment plan.

No shortage of under-insured Americans walking around with large outstanding hospital bills they can't meet.

Edited by Meljames

34 minutes ago, Meljames said:

Sounds like good business. The hospital could get stiffed with a large unpaid bill otherwise. 

Most cases if you're skint, the hospital will send the staff social worker around to help you through the paperwork to get subsidies or set up some kind of payment plan.

No shortage of under-insured Americans walking around with large outstanding hospital bills they can't meet.

The big advantage in Thailand is they have a price list. In America they refuse to quote a price telling you to sign and they will let you know how much it costs later. Scum sucked. I was refused a colonoscopy until I signed a blanket statement saying I would pay anything they stated.  I asked for the cost and they told me 'don't worry we'll submit to insurance and then you'll take it after that.' This is one reason costs are out of control.. 200 dollar Aspirin tabs too

Any motorised vehicle can be the same as a gun, can kill. You want to buy a gun the first thing they will ask is to see your license or permit. Exactly the same when hiring a car or bike in a first world country, if you ain't got one the renter will tell you to bugger off. Well that's how it works in a first word country.

If a tourist walks into a rental shop in LOS and asks if they can hire a bike and they are happy to rent to unlicensed tourists then the tourist will think in LOS it is OK..Obviously the shop was thinking of cash and not the correct procedure..If the shop said sorry , you ain't qualified to drive then this bird would still be enjoying her hols, but money reins here..

Either here on TV or one of the Australian news articles said the travel insurance did not cover high risk activities.

I don’t buy it. I’ve searched and I’m still unaware of any Australian travel insurance company that doesn’t cover scooter riding for a licensed rider.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Any motorised vehicle can be the same as a gun, can kill. You want to buy a gun the first thing they will ask is to see your license or permit. Exactly the same when hiring a car or bike in a first world country, if you ain't got one the renter will tell you to bugger off. Well that's how it works in a first word country.

If a tourist walks into a rental shop in LOS and asks if they can hire a bike and they are happy to rent to unlicensed tourists then the tourist will think in LOS it is OK..Obviously the shop was thinking of cash and not the correct procedure..If the shop said sorry , you ain't qualified to drive then this bird would still be enjoying her hols, but money reins here..

Guns are made to kill, cars and bikes are made to transport.

I don't agree with your preposition to make the rental shop responsible, it should be up to the tourist himself to know that they're not licensed to ride a bike (and most of them know very well, they just accept the risk when they rent).

3 minutes ago, Gregster said:

I don’t buy it. I’ve searched and I’m still unaware of any Australian travel insurance cover that doesn’t cover scooter riding for a licensed rider.

Iam not familiar with Australian Travel Insurance providers, my reply about high risk activities (Scooter riding is classed as high risk) was simply repeating what  what I had read either here on TV or a link to an Australian news outlet.

My insurance states in bold letters injuries sustained from the use of scooter/mopeds/motorbikes are not covered but this is not a travel policy it is my personal health insurance.

Just now, Techno Viking said:

Iam not familiar with Australian Travel Insurance providers, my reply about high risk activities (Scooter riding is classed as high risk) was simply repeating what  what I had read either here on TV or a link to an Australian news outlet.

My insurance states in bold letters injuries sustained from the use of scooter/mopeds/motorbikes are not covered but this is not a travel policy it is my personal health insurance.

Some class it high risk, some don't.

These blanket statements are only sometimes correct.

Where is your health insurance policy from BTW, excluding motorbike riding on that is a first to me.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Guns are made to kill, cars and bikes are made to transport.

I don't agree with your preposition to make the rental shop responsible, it should be up to the tourist himself to know that they're not licensed to ride a bike (and most of them know very well, they just accept the risk when they rent).

If the rental shop says it is OK then why would a tourist think otherwise, after all this is not a first world country..?

Yes the bird took the gamble for a bit of riding fun but the shop should have said NO..

I’ve searched and read the fine print of the major Australian travel insurance companies and ALL provide cover for licensed riders.

1 hour ago, Meljames said:
2 hours ago, tonray said:

Unfortunately, the insurance companies dictate what's a "reasonable and proper" fee, and the hospitals don't always agree.  Leaving the poor sap with the least information and the least resources to sort it out.  I often had to fight with the insurance company (BTW, I never won) when they said a "reasonable and proper" fee for a procedure was (for example) $1,500 and the hospital billed me for $3,000.  So instead of having 90% insurance coverage, it came in at 45%.  Bad enough when it's $3,000, but it can bankrupt a family if it's a major operation.  Even a family who was paying out the nose for coverage.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

Where did you read that her particular policy did not cover scooter riding?

From the O.P.

"Ms Liddle took out travel insurance before her Thailand trip but the policy was voided as riding a scooter was deemed a high-risk activity."

From the O.P.   "Ms Liddle took out travel insurance before her Thailand trip but the policy was voided as riding a scooter was deemed a high-risk activity."

Yes, a high-risk activity indeed, as are other “travel activities” such as scuba diving. Therefore to be covered, one requires the appropriate licence - as stated in every Australian travel insurance company’s fine print that I’ve researched.

It would be great to know the name of her insurer to clarify...