Can you show 20k on K Bank app at immigration?

If they ask to see 20K they are suspicious of something, and would be looking for reasons to deny entry, or evidence to support you're a 'tourist'. Showing a K-Bank book almost certainly wouldn't satisfy the (IO) 20K requirement (cash/travellers cheques), and would probably increase suspicion that you're not a 'tourist'.

The 20K can be in other currencies.

If I had a Thai bank account I'd be a little nervous showing it to an Immigration officer as it could generate further questions about the source of the money, whether one is perhaps working in Thailand or not etc.  Best just to have the 20K baht in cash to show them!

1 minute ago, Satcommlee said:

Showing them a Thai bank account could contribute to reasons to refuse you entry based on the assumption you may be working illegally.

If they accepted a Thai bank account there would  not be a problem if it showed transfers into it from abroad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If they accepted a Thai bank account there would  not be a problem if it showed transfers into it from abroad.

It's cash or travellers cheques.

Doesn't matter what an airline check-in tells you or your booking site tells you or what anyone tells you.

It's Thai currency or the same amount in any major currency, EU $ £ etc in cash.

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Satcommlee said:
Showing them a Thai bank account could contribute to reasons to refuse you entry based on the assumption you may be working illegally.

Nonsense. Some of the scaremongering on TV is ridiculous

Not really. That has been the official reason wriiten by IO's to refuse entry in some cases where people have a long history of VE and SETV entries.

For a tourist coming once a year on holiday, yes, it's extremely unlikely they will be asked to show money, however it's in the rules.

• Like 2

Not really. That has been the official reason wriiten by IO's to refuse entry in some cases where people have a long history of VE and SETV entries.
For a tourist coming once a year on holiday, yes, it's extremely unlikely they will be asked to show money, however it's in the rules.

Showing a Thai bank account was the official reason? That part is nonsense

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Satcommlee said:

Nonsense. Some of the scaremongering on TV is ridiculous

It's not nonsense or scaremongering. It's sensible advice. If an IO is asking to see 20K they are not happy about something. Showing you have a Thai bank account when claiming to be a 'tourist' is more likely to go against you than help.

It's not nonsense or scaremongering. It's sensible advice. If an IO is asking to see 20K they are not happy about something. Showing you have a Thai bank account when claiming to be a 'tourist' is more likely to go against you than help.
Let's agree to disagree on that. I'm not suggesting anyone shows them their bank account

37 minutes ago, baansgr said:

If you have 20k in the bank, why not withdraw it when arriving and then deposit it back in the account when you have reached your destination.. 

Because there is no way of withdrawing the money until you pass through the Immigration area. No ATM's. There might be exchange booths .

The request to show money would happen if you are someone who has probably 6 or more VE entries in a short period, ie more time in than out of Thailand in perhaps a year. If the IO wants proof that you are a tourist and not someone who is illegally working. Even if you hold a tourist visa and it's one of a series in a short time period you might be asked to show cash. I can't say what the short time period is, the IO decides. If the IO suspects you are working he can with the approval of a surpervisor deny entry on the grounds of suspicion of working illegally in Thailand.

Edited by overherebc

I tend to agree that showing a Thai bank account, if asked about cash, to an IO upon arrival as a tourist isn't a great idea, to their mind, why would a genuine tourist have, or even need, a Thai bank account. It would be extremely difficult to show deposits have come from overseas whilst at a booth in immigration.

I wonder if it possible to withdraw cash from a Thai account using the Visa or Mastercard part of the debit card from that account at an exchange booth prior to immigration, certainly possible with a foreign issued debit card?

Interesting. 

So if a person is working illegally in Thailand, the employer pays the salary to a bank account? 

I always thought it was payed in cash, so there wore no traces of any transactions. 

Anyhow, why not show your home account on-line?

Can't count my entries to the kingdom and never been asked for proof of money, never had return ticket and never a question asked. 

However, we can read daily about "funky" people getting arrested. And my guess is that at their next arrival those are the ones getting all those questions from IO. 

As someone already stated, if they want to see the cash, you're probably are on a list

cheers 

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

I tend to agree that showing a Thai bank account, if asked about cash, to an IO upon arrival as a tourist isn't a great idea, to their mind, why would a genuine tourist have, or even need, a Thai bank account. It would be extremely difficult to show deposits have come from overseas whilst at a booth in immigration.

I wonder if it possible to withdraw cash from a Thai account using the Visa or Mastercard part of the debit card from that account at an exchange booth prior to immigration, certainly possible with a foreign issued debit card?

I suppose it might be possible to 'buy' the 20,000 with a card at an exchange booth, never thought of that option.

Others might know.

If they are asking questions, they are looking to find a reason to detain/reject your entry.  Whether you "work illegally" or not (with the millions of Burmese and Cambodians flooding the labor-market) is a side-show.  The only question is if they can deny your entry based on your not having the proscribed amount of cash in-hand (or travelers checks).  Not allowing those refused entry for purportedly "not having enough funds to support their visit" to go to an ATM and withdraw the cash** demonstrates what we are dealing with.

Solution: Have The Cash On Hand On Arrival

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

It would be extremely difficult to show deposits have come from overseas whilst at a booth in immigration.

The incoming funds in my Thai Bank Book all indicate they are "foreign transfers" - which makes it easy to prove I don't need income from working in Thailand.  In a sane-world, showing this, with a healthy-balance, would be the end of any questioning/suspicion - smiles all around and "Welcome back!"

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

.. why would a genuine tourist have, or even need, a Thai bank account.

Because it provides an easy and cost-effective way to have cash transferred here to spend while in Thailand.  Many tourists are repeat-tourists. 

There is nothing in the relevant statutes defining "genuine tourists" or limits on "time in country."   But, based on reports, we are dealing with people who are attempting to twist the law to enforce their personal biases and wishes - not enforce it as written.  In these Lawless-Zones, we could ask, "What does an IO consider to be a legitimate tourist?"  - setting aside the fact that this question isn't legally-relevant. 

We could guess it falls somewhere between one-visit per-year of 60-days or less, and staying in Thailand 350 days/yr repeatedly.  Where is the line to be found in each IOs, and his supervisor's, mind?  It is anyone's guess.  Reports of IO's and their Supervisor's comments, vary.

1 hour ago, Hupaponics said:

Can't count my entries to the kingdom and never been asked for proof of money, never had return ticket and never a question asked. 

However, we can read daily about "funky" people getting arrested. And my guess is that at their next arrival those are the ones getting all those questions from IO. 

I recall someone posting a sign at a land-border which described "funky" people defined by hairstyle and the type of pants they wear (baggy fake-silk pants and dreadlocks, it would seem).  I am not aware, however, of a known correlation of questionings and/or rejections of entry and appearance at airports . 

There is some indication that "young" is considered a problem, regardless of dress - even if they qualified for an METV (no small effort) - but this is not exclusive.  Older snowbirds who spend 5-6 mo/yr here and offshore gas workers - some of the best tourists in terms of spending - have reported being questioned rudely. 

** (A report of allowing ATM-access at a land-border was made - though that person could have, alternatively, canceled their exit from the originating-country, retrieved the cash at an ATM in the originating-country, and returned through immigration cash-in-hand.  If arriving by air, you are "stuck" - no where to go but detention - until your flight out.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

The incoming funds in my Thai Bank Book all indicate they are "foreign transfers" - which makes it easy to prove I don't need income from working in Thailand.  In a sane-world, showing this, with a healthy-balance, would be the end of any questioning/suspicion - smiles all around and "Welcome back!"

I personally do not know of any bank code that is printed in the book that specifically states that the TT is from overseas, that being said, then if yours does then some must, however, how are you going to explain the meaning of that code entry to an IO at an immigration booth who may not be familiar with these codes? The point of my comment was to state that if entering Thailand as a tourist and it is at a point that the IO wants proof of funds producing, then he is already suspicious of the intentions, showing a Thai bank book would not IMO dispel those suspicions, in fact it may even increase them, normal tourists do not open bank accounts in the country of destination, granted we are not discussing normal tourists in that sense.

Tourism is important to Thailand, no doubt about that, the only reason being foreign revenue, so money from outside Thailand being spent in Thailand, hence why showing a Thai account isn't really strengthening the position.

I am in no way saying that there is an official limit to the amount of times a tourist can visit Thailand, or what folks do in that way is wrong, in the late eighties and most of the nineties I did exactly this, worked 6 weeks offshore and then entered here as a tourist for the time off.

What I am saying is that times have changed and so has the attitude of immigration regarding long term tourists.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I personally do not know of any bank code that is printed in the book that specifically states that the TT is from overseas, that being said, then if yours does then some must, however, how are you going to explain the meaning of that code entry to an IO at an immigration booth who may not be familiar with these codes?

Mine all show FTT (foreign telex transfer) in my bank book and on the mobile app it says international transfer.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Mine all show FTT (foreign telex transfer) in my bank book and on the mobile app it says international transfer.

Fair enough, mine definitely doesn't differentiate.

This aside, cash or TC's is what immigration require, so it is a mute point and I really don't think showing a Thai account would be wise.

22 hours ago, tryasimight said:

I think if it got to the stage of an IO asking to see the money.......you may already be up the proverbial without a paddle.

i reckon this is pretty spot on, excepting the creek and paddle bit.

but to put it simply, if they are asking you to present cash, then it is likely you have raised a flag somewhere and the only option is to comply.

that said, why would you travel to the kingdom without some mad money in hand, k bank account or not?.

to me it just makes sense to have 500-1000 dollars on hand in case bank cards dont work etc , etc, no matter where i go. Asia or otherwise.

i am in and out of thailand at least once monthly, and never been asked at all. In fact i cant remember a time an agent has even spoken so much as a word upon entry.

Edited by HooHaa

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I personally do not know of any bank code that is printed in the book that specifically states that the TT is from overseas, that being said, then if yours does then some must, however, how are you going to explain the meaning of that code entry to an IO at an immigration booth who may not be familiar with these codes? The point of my comment was to state that if entering Thailand as a tourist and it is at a point that the IO wants proof of funds producing, then he is already suspicious of the intentions, showing a Thai bank book would not IMO dispel those suspicions, in fact it may even increase them, normal tourists do not open bank accounts in the country of destination, granted we are not discussing normal tourists in that sense.

Tourism is important to Thailand, no doubt about that, the only reason being foreign revenue, so money from outside Thailand being spent in Thailand, hence why showing a Thai account isn't really strengthening the position.

I am in no way saying that there is an official limit to the amount of times a tourist can visit Thailand, or what folks do in that way is wrong, in the late eighties and most of the nineties I did exactly this, worked 6 weeks offshore and then entered here as a tourist for the time off.

What I am saying is that times have changed and so has the attitude of immigration regarding long term tourists.

I get "FTT" for foreign transfers - which is a different code than domestic transfers.  One could also request deposit-receipts for transfers from their bank to erase all doubt - but I don't think IOs actually care about this when using "no cash" as a reason for denial.  If they did, people would be taken to an ATM - but they aren't.  The only case where bank-books w/ proof of transfers might help, is if the person had the required 20K cash, and the IO had moved on to accusations of working illegally.  Even then, the evidence to the contrary might be ignored.

So, for the OP's question, what they must worry about is: "Can we reject this person on a technicality" (not having cash).

Forget what logic would dictate, which is: "Can this person support themselves in Thailand," - not withstanding that this is the actual legal reason given for their denial.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

I completely agree.

I think producing a bank book is madness, and trying to convince the IO what "FTT" stood for pointless. Even if someone does have foreign transfers it doesn't prove they are not working in Thailand. Plenty of people generate income from their home country whilst working in Thailand.

When assessing whether or not someone is a 'tourist' they are looking at entry history, and for supporting evidence such as hotel bookings, onward flights, itinerary and pocket money (10K/20K). Nothing else, IMO, would help.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

I suppose it might be possible to 'buy' the 20,000 with a card at an exchange booth, never thought of that option.

Others might know.

Can somebody verify that there even ARE any exchange booths prior to immigration?  I seem to remember at least one in that main corridor just before the turn into one of the arrival halls, but am not at all sure.