So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

49 minutes ago, taipeir said:

He's a well known gypsy you didn't know? :)

Those gypsies get around. Glad his sister is doing well in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Get back on your meds.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, taipeir said:

Peace in Ireland and UK was also achieved partly becauce of the EU backed good Friday agreement.Now they want to blow up that agreement by putting a border in.

Shocking ignorance of own country's backyard.

I thought it was failing EU club that are shockingly ignorant of the UK situation can't be that difficult to come to an agreement.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:39 AM, oldhippy said:

I dislike the bureaucratic, hugely wasteful and semi democratic aspects of the EU as much as you do.

But I differ about the direction we should go in: I am in favour of a different EU: better AND stronger.

As for peace in Europe:

Do you think peace between France and Germany (after centuries of wars) was the result of actions by NATO and UN?

I think it was a matter of economics, starting with the ECSC, later the EC and now the EU.

Your better and stronger will only happen if the present lot of bureaucrats are sacked and never allowed back. Never underestimate the power of bureaucrats to fool the politicians into believing they are essential, when of course they ARE the problem.

IMO peace between France and Germany happened because Germany was in no condition to fight anyone after WW2 and then they went all peacenik, and France knows it couldn't win a war against a little old lady armed with a plastic spoon. They never won anything since Napoleon got the boot. Only thing their army is apparently good at is losing ( WW2, Indochina, Algeria, etc etc ). :sorry:

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 hours ago, taipeir said:

Reading this thread the Brits are a morose sullen whiny bunch.
Maybe it's just the pensioners :)

I can't say if you are right because I met very few in London. Mainly foreigners in that city.

However, every time I went to a hospital ward on agency assignment, and a Brit was in charge I expected it to be an unpleasant shift and I wasn't wrong many times on that.

6 hours ago, taipeir said:

Reading this thread the Brits are a morose sullen whiny bunch.
Maybe it's just the pensioners :)

We are not all from Clacton chum....:stoner:

But please tell where you are from and all age groups are.....:intheclub:

Lets here where....?

4 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Nah, you mean Frinton.. twinned with Pattaya.

Weeell, l do find it ludicrous when folk trash a nationality when l for one cannot think of one perfect one... Just wish these folk would tell us where their perfect one was....

Easy really but they never reply....sad-face.gif.4a3af4d5c02401ed393e9b577d0a8e50.gif

15 hours ago, transam said:

Weeell, l do find it ludicrous when folk trash a nationality when l for one cannot think of one perfect one... Just wish these folk would tell us where their perfect one was....

Easy really but they never reply....sad-face.gif.4a3af4d5c02401ed393e9b577d0a8e50.gif

You trashed Clacton. The government  trashed UK... Nowt's perfect.. 'cept,  perhaps your Pontiac.

7 hours ago, taipeir said:

Peace in Ireland and UK was also achieved partly becauce of the EU backed good Friday agreement.Now they want to blow up that agreement by putting a border in.

As far as I can see, the EU want to be as difficult and as spiteful as possible.  They remind me of a small child that's had his ball taken away.

They are willing to over complicate the Irish border issue, and offer no solutions themselves just to make things difficult. They don't care that this raises tensions in Ireland and threatens the peace process. Because we took their ball away.

Have you heard the latest gem?  The EU have decided to disqualify UK cities from becoming European capital of culture. This is despite Turkey and Norway having cities included in recent years. And this is before anybody knows the outcome of negotiations, e.g. the UK could possibly still be in the EEA. 5 UK cities had spent hundreds of thousands preparing for bids. This is just spiteful.

All because we took their ball away...

As far as I can see, the EU want to be as difficult and as spiteful as possible.  They remind me of a small child that's had his ball taken away. They are willing to over complicate the Irish border issue, and offer no solutions themselves just to make things difficult. They don't care that this raises tensions in Ireland and threatens the peace process. Because we took their ball away. Have you heard the latest gem?  The EU have decided to disqualify UK cities from becoming European capital of culture. This is despite Turkey and Norway having cities included in recent years. And this is before anybody knows the outcome of negotiations, e.g. the UK could possibly still be in the EEA. 5 UK cities had spent hundreds of thousands preparing for bids. This is just spiteful.  

Ah yes more whiny blame game. UK held a divisive referendum full of bile and anti foreigner rhetoric blaming the EU on everything but the kitchen sink and the voted for Brexit , what you want to a clap on the back on the way out the door? 

I'll tell you a secret. The UK will be out in a couple of years and most will be glad they don't have to listen to this anymore they'll let you get on with your local politics and class ridden society unperturbed.

You know your betters there keep the head down and do as your told by those with the clipped accents , double barreled names and private schooling.

But pay the 40 billion first lol!!

20 minutes ago, taipeir said:

Ah yes more whiny blame game. UK held a divisive referendum full of bile and anti foreigner rhetoric blaming the EU on everything but the kitchen sink and the voted for Brexit , what you want to a clap on the back on the way out the door? 

I'll tell you a secret. The UK will be out in a couple of years and most will be glad they don't have to listen to this anymore they'll let you get on with your local politics and class ridden society unperturbed.

You know your betters there keep the head down and do as your told by those with the clipped accents , double barreled names and private schooling.

But pay the 40 billion first lol!!

I sense a bit of jealousy here...

18 hours ago, taipeir said:

Peace in Ireland and UK was also achieved partly because of the EU backed good Friday agreement.Now they want to blow up that agreement by putting a border in.

Excellent comment.

The Irish border problem is not easy to solve.

The EU has other borders between none EU and its member "states" that need to be considered as an option or a basis for a realistic situation in Ireland.

I have discussed this before on TV, but I admit I had neglected some major points in my argument, as I had not fully considered the freight traffic that moves between the two countries on the island.

I think it is possible without a physical boarder.

The problem is the EU want to have it settled before any trade deal. A good trade deal would make the transfer of goods between the two parts of Ireland as easy as it is now.

People and passport control should not present a problem within Ireland as those arriving would come under scrutiny when leaving from a different country than they arrived in (Northern/Republic). Passport control has to be changed a little of course, EU citizens arriving/leaving Ulster will have to go through the "foreign nationals" channel as does anyone without a British/Irish (EU) passport do at the moment.

Goods and people arriving in the mainland would also need to be better monitored of course, port of entry/departure etc, but that should create more jobs.

The EU have few good bargaining points, so they are trying to make the best of what they have to screw the UK for "reparations", not a divorce settlement, after the UK has been paying into their coffers for 40 years.

Please comment.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

As far as I can see, the EU want to be as difficult and as spiteful as possible.  They remind me of a small child that's had his ball taken away.

They are willing to over complicate the Irish border issue, and offer no solutions themselves just to make things difficult. They don't care that this raises tensions in Ireland and threatens the peace process. Because we took their ball away.

Have you heard the latest gem?  The EU have decided to disqualify UK cities from becoming European capital of culture. This is despite Turkey and Norway having cities included in recent years. And this is before anybody knows the outcome of negotiations, e.g. the UK could possibly still be in the EEA. 5 UK cities had spent hundreds of thousands preparing for bids. This is just spiteful.

Dead right. But EEA is not an answer, it is being in and abiding by their rules but without a vote.

Efta is what we should rejoin, check the details.

:thumbsup:

Excellent comment. The Irish border problem is not easy to solve. The EU has other borders between none EU and its member "states" that need to be considered as an option or a basis for a realistic situation in Ireland.

I have discussed this before on TV, but I admit I had neglected some major points in my argument, as I had not fully considered the freight traffic that moves between the two countries on the island.

I think it is possible without a physical boarder.

The problem is the EU want to have it settled before any trade deal. A good trade deal would make the transfer of goods between the two parts of Ireland as easy as it is now.

People and passport control should not present a problem within Ireland as those arriving would come under scrutiny when leaving from a different country than they arrived in (Northern/Republic). Passport control has to be changed a little of course, EU citizens arriving/leaving Ulster will have to go through the "foreign nationals" channel as does anyone without a British/Irish (EU) passport do at the moment.

Goods and people arriving in the mainland would also need to be better monitored of course, port of entry/departure etc, but that should create more jobs.

The EU have few good bargaining points, so they are trying to make the best of what they have to screw the UK for "reparations", not a divorce settlement, after the UK has been paying into their coffers for 40 years.

Please comment.

Well since you are so polite I will comment. I believe the Irish government is very concerned about the lack of specifics on the border from UK side. This depends on the hard or soft Brexit approach but Tories seems.to have opted for hard brexit without any mandate to do that.

Not only that but people in the border region are very worried about what will happen to their communities and their livelihoods. These people don't want or need a border.

Northern Ireland is not going to benefit from being pulled out of the EU in general. Northern Ireland did not vote to leave the EU.

You are also one of the few posters who understands the various options available to the UK government which they inexplicably ignored and instead have chased fantasies about 'amazing free trade agreements' that are not possible.

I don't understand why the UK government doesn't pursue some form of compromise while Brexit which while satisfying nobody comlletely will offer a realistic approach .

Believe this debate belongs in Brexit threads though!

nothing. I'm heading back to the gold coast oz for a few months after many years.

I've been dreaming about amazing wine, prime lamb and cheeses.,fantastic deli salami and tiger prawns and seafood in general .. pretty sure that's going to be my diet and no need to take out a mortgage to cover it [emoji6]

8 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

nothing. I'm heading back to the gold coast oz for a few months after many years.

I've been dreaming about amazing wine, prime lamb and cheeses.,fantastic deli salami and tiger prawns and seafood in general .. pretty sure that's going to be my diet and no need to take out a mortgage to cover it emoji6.png

Agreed that there is way more food choices for a western diet and much cheaper than in LOS back in the home country. However, if I cared about food that much, I'd never have stayed in LOS. Food choices compared to a warm, cheap, non PC country. Nothing to consider. LOS wins hands down.

Agreed that there is way more food choices for a western diet and much cheaper than in LOS back in the home country. However, if I cared about food that much, I'd never have stayed in LOS. Food choices compared to a warm, cheap, non PC country. Nothing to consider. LOS wins hands down.
I will probably be craving som Tam and go go bars at some stage. that's how the grass is greener system works.

4 hours ago, InMyShadow said:
4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I will probably be craving som Tam and go go bars at some stage. that's how the grass is greener system works.

Som Tam? Your taste buds have really been perverted. Go go bars is normal.

18 hours ago, taipeir said:

Well since you are so polite I will comment. I believe the Irish government is very concerned about the lack of specifics on the border from UK side. This depends on the hard or soft Brexit approach but Tories seems.to have opted for hard brexit without any mandate to do that.

Not only that but people in the border region are very worried about what will happen to their communities and their livelihoods. These people don't want or need a border.

Northern Ireland is not going to benefit from being pulled out of the EU in general. Northern Ireland did not vote to leave the EU.

You are also one of the few posters who understands the various options available to the UK government which they inexplicably ignored and instead have chased fantasies about 'amazing free trade agreements' that are not possible.

I don't understand why the UK government doesn't pursue some form of compromise while Brexit which while satisfying nobody comlletely will offer a realistic approach .

Believe this debate belongs in Brexit threads though!

True we have digressed from the topic.

No problem with what you say, I would just add the EU are not cooperating or "negotiating" just dictating.

The Irish border is tied in to a trade deal.

But they don't want to know. Money up front first is the game.

Who is trying to force through an unacceptable deal here?

"Hard Brexit" has to remain an option.

Neither side want it. (Remember we buy more than we sell.)

Have you ever bargained over a price at a street stall?

Walking away has to be a threat.

Thanks, G :wai:

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed that there is way more food choices for a western diet and much cheaper than in LOS back in the home country.

Only if you cook yourself. Eating in restaurants is usually much more expensive and often not much better than LOS. I didn't know how good I had it until I moved back to California for a while.

Only if you cook yourself. Eating in restaurants is usually much more expensive and often not much better than LOS. I didn't know how good I had it until I moved back to California for a while.
I cook here as well. re used palm oil, sugar in everything, msg are a turn off and unhealthy.

resteraunts are more expensive in the West but if I order a steak it's going to be superb and not shoe leather. grilled snapper is going to be amazing.

love thailand for other reasons so it wins out.

10 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

resteraunts are more expensive in the West but if I order a steak it's going to be superb and not shoe leather. grilled snapper is going to be amazing.

I would almost never order steak in Thailand, although there is a French place in Chiang Mai that does a decent one, because the sauce covers up for the so-so meat. An expensive place in the West will often be excellent, but medium priced restaurants - that I would usually eat at - are usually not much better than the same thing in Thailand and usually considerably more expensive. I was surprised to find out that most Mexican places are no better than Miguel's Mexican in Chiang Mai (although some certainly are). I hate cooking for myself, so am much better off in Thailand - and I prefer Thailand anyway. 

Edited by Ulysses G.

On 23/11/2017 at 11:10 PM, oldhippy said:

As a European I am so glad that we got rid of that fecked up hell hole that you so eloquently describe!  And as true gentlemen, we let you people think that you people wanted brexit 555 - if there ever had been a vote in Europe, even without having read the above, I am sure the brexit majority to give you people the boot would have been 90% - 10%.

:sorry:

If most european nations were allowed to vote they would probably vote to leave the EU or radically  change it. But they wont be allowed to vote.  But anyway the disintegration of the EEU nightmare is just beginning. The Balkan states and The eastern European countries refuse to conform and if the irish loonies really want to return to killing each other... let them. But I am puzzled why Brexit has been introduced to this thread.