So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Just a snippet,

Williams has reportedly battled mental illnessobesityself-esteem issues, alcoholism, and substance abuse throughout his life.[89][90] He has discussed how his friend Elton John booked him into a clinic to cope with his drug use that emerged from the depression he was experiencing while still in Take That.

I think he means musically.

Never was a big fan, but the crowds still feel him. This from One Love Manchester earlier this year.....................

"Personally my story is a well trodden path to my present situation , as a divorced man I came to Thailand on holiday after hearing about all the delights on offer . I fell in love , married and moved to Thailand permanently..."

Whenever I hear these stories, they're all missing something.

They always say they first came to LOS on "holiday".  Holiday from what?

You need a job in order to have a vacation.

People with jobs can't move to Thailand on a whim.

Most jobs in Western countries just aren't available to foreigners in Thailand.

So, that leaves the possibility of them being a bum, receiving an inheritance or involved in criminal activities.

Bums can't afford to "holiday" anywhere, really.

So that leaves the latter two. ?

So, either congratulations on falling out of the right womb or does your Thai family know you're involved in criminal activities? ?

It's not that I can't go back to New Zealand, it's that I would love to spend say three months of the year there and come here for the rest of the year.

The main reasons I wouldn't live there again are: –

– All of my friends are married and have their own lives.
– A huge percentage of them are still working and have no time for social activities.
– They are all my age and unlike me, they wouldn't see a night out on the town a couple of times a week as something to look forward to, if indeed they could find somewhere exciting which catered for pensioners!
– There would be no younger single women who would be remotely interested in a liaison or two with someone of 70 years old.
– It has become expensive......... and although I have a nice lump sum stashed away, because I have the willpower of a tame rabbit, that would soon be used up on fine wine and quality dining! 
– The winters can get cold, believe it or not.

Here, I have friends who own bars, so if I want I can go along for a beer and a chat whenever I want. If I want something a little more raucous I go to a different bar and enjoy what's on offer. Just about any girl, whether they be in a bar or working in a shop/restaurant will chat away to you, irrespective of your age, and they will do so respectfully, whereas, to quote Thaibeachlovers; "if a woman under 30 caught me looking at her back home I be burnt at the stake for being a pervert".

So Thailand fits the bill now and has done for the past 11 years or thereabouts, so this is probably the place I will end my days.

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

"Personally my story is a well trodden path to my present situation , as a divorced man I came to Thailand on holiday after hearing about all the delights on offer . I fell in love , married and moved to Thailand permanently..."

Whenever I hear these stories, they're all missing something.

They always say they first came to LOS on "holiday".  Holiday from what?

You need a job in order to have a vacation.

People with jobs can't move to Thailand on a whim.

Most jobs in Western countries just aren't available to foreigners in Thailand.

So, that leaves the possibility of them being a bum, receiving an inheritance or involved in criminal activities.

Bums can't afford to "holiday" anywhere, really.

So that leaves the latter two. ?

So, either congratulations on falling out of the right womb or does your Thai family know you're involved in criminal activities? ?

You ever heard of pensions? Until a few years back you could take a work pension in UK at age 50. I know, i did it. Before that when i was working in UK i took Thai holiday 3 times per year.

Put simply, Australia could be a nice place to live if it wasn't so expensive. Just today ABC news ran an article about the rising tide of elderly homeless - their age pension was not enough to cover rent, let alone food. My monthly rent here would barely cover a week in Australia, in inferior accommodation.

Or take a one hour Thai massage. Here, it's $6. In Australia, the cheapest is $70.

I suppose another factor is going to a shopping mall. Here, there's a lot of eye candy. In Australia, the majority of women in the shopping malls have huge backsides.

2 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

In Australia, the majority of women in the shopping malls have huge backsides.

Yes, have to agree with that on my visits to Australia, however they seem to be suffering from the same disease that New Zealand women are, "elephantiasis of the arse"...........and unless I wanted one so that I could use it as somewhere to park my bike, I wouldn't be interested!

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

America. Guns. I woould be perfectly happy if they were banned and eliminated, but that would OK only for the criminals, who will never give them up.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble is, you don't know if the good guy really is a good guy.

Victoria, Australia is trying something else. There is legislation in the pipeline which awards a mandatory

10 year prison sentence to anyone in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Its Six to one and half a dozen to the other for me.... 

Women seems to be a common theme, but, IMO there is an abundance of attractive women back home, here in Thailand there is an abundance of slim women who are perhaps 'more available' to the average older guy which I can understand makes the difference for some. 

Weather: is perhaps a factor, but I do enjoy traveling back each Winter on one of my biannual visits and feeling the cold, dressing up in layers and a nice warm coat, it makes a refreshing change from sweating most of the year round whenever outside although the time of year I visit the UK is also a perfect time in Thailand with regards to pleasant weather. 

Costs: Again, I'm 50/50 there are many things which are so much more expensive here. Wine, Craft beer, cheese, but again other food items are ridiculously cheap, accommodation is perhaps cheaper here in Thailand when comparing like for like. Cars are more expensive here (this one breaks my heart).

Family: both my Wife and I have have close family ties. We see her parents and family a few times a week here in Bangkok, we'd see my parents and family a few times a week back in the UK.

Education: My son's education is key to where we are. If I couldn't afford International School (Kindergarten) we would be back in the UK which has fine comprehensive schooling in my area, that said, I'm extremely happy with the level of International Schooling and consider it a better option for the moment. 

Safety: This is a big issue, while no country is perfect I am particularly conscious of Thailands safety woes, on the road with the awful driving, poor vehicular maintenance and cowboys taking chances in their company trucks... I've mitigated against this as much as possible with a decent 4x4 and an excellent car seat however, the UK is a much safer country on ever aspect. Walking down the road, using electrical appliances, the levels of safety here are simply absent which means there is little 'relaxing'... everything is checked out first.

Quality of life: Playing football twice a week, taking a massage, eating out regularly, having a maid / nanny going on so many nearby beach holidays.

Medical: Thailand has excellent private hospitals, the majority of issues are readily dealt with professionally and efficiently. Thailand has an extremely poor 'first response' to emergencies. 

Decent medical insurance is costly in Thailand, hospital treatment in the UK is reactive, time consuming, slow. I'd rather be in the UK if subject to an emergency, I'd rather be in Thailand for pretty much any other 'standard' treatment.

And so.. I feel I would be happy here or in the UK, I feel my Wife would also be happy here or in the UK. She would definitely need her 'Thai Fix' which could readily be fixed with a biannual visit home to Thailand and one of the many Thai TV web subscriptions. Obtaining Thai food at a reasonable price may be an issue.

I have spend my adult life here in Thailand, right out of the gate from graduation I have been based here. I have many friends here now, perhaps more than I have in the UK and my friends here are in a more concentrated area (mainly in Bangkok) whereas in the UK my close friends are spread all over. 

In the UK the proximity to wonderful European cities would also be an advantage as would the proximity to the Alps and great winter holidays. 

In short, both the UK and Thailand have something amazing to offer, both are fine places to live. For now Thailand is 'edging' it because its what I know, but I wouldn't have any major concern if we had to move back to the UK. Life is what you make of it even when faced with choices beyond our control, its about attitude, particularly the attitudes of those closest to you - the location can change, its just scenery.

Edited by richard_smith237

Trouble is, you don't know if the good guy really is a good guy.

Victoria, Australia is trying something else. There is legislation in the pipeline which awards a mandatory

10 year prison sentence to anyone in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

10 years , thats nothing. Long sentences have no effect on crime. The blacks and hispanic gang

Members in America have a way of thinking that is they can be jailed but they can never be insulted. They will Kill you for a nickel. They go to jail, they have more horrible crimes higher status. Taking a weak young inmate (male) as their wife.

I have a USA passport that I love because of its advantages and benefits and ease of use to travel.  I have been fortunate to travel the world for work. I live in Bangkok by choice after a divorce. I do not consider myself to have a home country. I live on planet earth. My life experience showed me there are good and bad things in every place in the world, good and bad people, and complainers and those that are thankful. Happy I am thankful and have no time left to be friends with complainers or anyone that loves to argue politics.   Bangkok is a wonderful place to live.  Peace. 

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its Six to one and half a dozen to the other for me.... 

Women seems to be a common theme, but, IMO there is an abundance of attractive women back home, here in Thailand there is an abundance of slim women who are perhaps 'more available' to the average older guy which I can understand makes the difference for some. 

Yeah, but you couldn't get one, so you came here for a take out.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Christianity has declined because Christian countries generally have become more enlightened and the population is seeing through the claptrap. There is also the benefit of not getting your head lopped off if you don't believe.

That's the crux of it. Christianity in the 21st century (along with most other religions) is tolerant and optional. That optionality gives people the freedom to leave if they choose. Hence the balance shifting all across Europe.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

but the real reason I stay long term is the lack of regulation/PC.

It's always interesting to hear stuff like this, because while us Brits and our Aussie cousins are thousands of miles apart, our two countries tend to move in the same direction!

3 hours ago, portroyal said:

Fair and honnest post !

i’m from France

Why do I live in Hua Hin ?

No north-africans...

With no offence or intent to bait, history reminds us that most of the north-africains currently in France are from former french territories and thus recognized french citizens !!...

No individual reason I live overseas, I like getting back to Hawaii 2 or 3 times a year, as well as returning to Thailand  -  I work in Africa 6 months a year to build up the retirement coffers, and can afford to go back & forth whenever I please.  Change is the spice of life, so I will live it with gusto in both areas.

40 minutes ago, nasanews said:

They are not your cousins, UK judicial system used to ship convicts overseas to Australia to get rid of them not messing up society back then.

Thanks for the history lesson, but not sure how that is relevant to my comment. The convict transportation ended in the mid 1800s. 

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yeah, but you couldn't get one, so you came here for a take out.

Yes strange isn't it, all the guys who  are here in relationshps with Thai women who talk of 'sex tourists' with disgust. That is clearly what they were.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most middle aged English women are virtually undateable