IS operatives could be among illegal over-stayers hiding out in Thailand, says deputy PM

webfact

IS operatives could be among illegal over-stayers hiding out in Thailand, says deputy PM

8.jpg

Foreigners walk Soi Nana in Bangkok, which officials watch (Benar News).

Thailand's deputy Prime Minister has suggested that IS operatives could be among the more than 100,000 people currently on overstay in the kingdom, said Khao Jing the Thai version of Benar News.

Prawit Wongsuwan was speaking to the news media about a countrywide crackdown on illegal over-stayers, many of whom are involved in serious crime in the kingdom.

Prawit spoke of 100,000 plus people on overstay though other reports are putting the figure at more like 200,000.

He was reported on Khao Jing as saying that IS members could be among the people that are being targeted in the raids across the country. He hopers IS members will be caught up in the widespread net being cast for the illegals.

The news media again referred to the alleged paying of 100 million in bribes in Phuket to allow illegals to remain in Thailand. Khao Jing stated that this money had been paid to corrupt local police in Phuket.

They said that 142 arrests were made in the southern Thai resort last week. Of these 62 were Indian, 11 from Pakistan and 6 from Egypt.

They said 70 were on overstay.

They included a picture taken in the Nana area of Bangkok as evidence that the overstay sweep was being conducted in Bangkok.

Sources in the far south doubt claims that IS operatives are in Thailand, reported Khao Jing.

Source: Khao Jing

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-14

There could literally be all sorts of people on overstay. At the very least these people aren't going to be the smartest or most responsible. Didn't have enough cash to get a new visa? Couldn't get the visa they needed so decided to overstay and now can't go home for a holiday because they face being blacklisted? No real excuses to be on overstay. 

I know of three people on overstay. Why on overstay? They spunked all their money up the wall and couldn't be bothered to sort themselves out. Now they live in fear of being taken in. What a miserable experience to be having in a country like Thailand. 

Edited by rkidlad

This seems like a very sinister development to me. I hope it is nothing more than ill-thought out scaremongering and not a preface to harsh actions in the South of the country under the pretext of national security; the army is your protector.

Edited by champers

There is a very high chance that IS operatives are already in Thailand, and have probably been here for a long time. However, they are not so dumb as to be here on overstay, or working illegally. They will keep a very low profile well under the radar until the time is right.....unfortunately.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There could literally be all sorts of people on overstay. At the very least these people aren't going to be the smartest or most responsible. Didn't have enough cash to get a new visa? Couldn't get the visa they needed so decided to overstay and now can't go home for a holiday because they face being blacklisted? No real excuses to be on overstay. 

I know of three people on overstay. Why on overstay? They spunked all their money up the wall and couldn't be bothered to sort themselves out. Now they live in fear of being taken in. What a miserable experience to be having in a country like Thailand. 

No real excuse to be on overstay..... 

How true, but there's also the 'category' of people with the funds etc., who just want to buck the system / want to deliberately ignore laws.

Case in point: Ten years back I owned a luxury rental property just off Jomtien beach. Monthly rental around 80,000Baht a month. Old reliable tenant returned to UK. Agent found a new prospective tenant and I indicated I wanted to meet and talk to the guy. Turned out to be a very smart ass 30 yr old farang who had smart answers for everything and showed great pleasure in disclosing that that he had been on overstay for several years and 'nobody controls me' attitude and claimed that he had 'friends in high places'.  Wouldn't answer questions about whether he had a reliable income. 

Edited by scorecard

Sorry to profile people, but to catch IS, there is no other solution. I know , not all Muslims are bad, but IS are Muslims, i hope all agree with this point.

Check the validity of visa's at the Arab restaurants, and Halal food venues, most problems will be solved. Also monitor the places that sell Halal meat, and time to time cross check the visas of foreigners coming to buy meat.

Police should publish the miscreants information on a Thai website, who entered the country and staying here but visa is expired.

Date wise, nationality wise details with picture, passport number could be good for locals to find their tenant is an illegal immigrant or not.

Immigration should hire smart people, who can get the information quickly and scientifically.

No go to Nana, and check at the Lady-Boy show clubs, and look for IS customer hiding somewhere or not. Absolutely there is no there where to hide behind the bikinis anyway. :sorry:

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It is always easier to be cynical when dealing from strength.  Particularly cashed up strength.I believe that 99% of foreigners here would not be here if they had cash.  They would be in the Maldives or the Greek islands or the Caribbean or any of the other places where the rich and shameless live.

8 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Sorry to profile people, but to catch IS, there is no other solution. I know , not all Muslims are bad, but IS are Muslims, i hope all agree with this point.

Check the validity of visa's at the Arab restaurants, and Halal food venues, most problems will be solved. Also monitor the places that sell Halal meat, and time to time cross check the visas of foreigners coming to buy meat.

Police should publish the miscreants information on a Thai website, who entered the country and staying here but visa is expired.

Date wise, nationality wise details with picture, passport number could be good for locals to find their tenant is an illegal immigrant or not.

Immigration should hire smart people, who can get the information quickly and scientifically.

No go to Nana, and check at the Lady-Boy show clubs, and look for IS customer hiding somewhere or not. Absolutely there is no there where to hide behind the bikinis anyway. :sorry:

Just out of curiosity, how long have you harboured this desire to be a policeman.

1 hour ago, OmarZaid said:

ISIS ? Sure ... I saw 'em in the south, in Sadao soliciting money for the first time in 2014-15 ... shifty-eyed beards with beads and long robes  -- got no business here . . .

Hey!  Take it easy.  I used to be a hippy once too you know.:cheesy:

16 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

They are not stupid enough to be hiding in Thailand.

oh yes they are. telling me there aren't any amongst the middle eastern lot in soi chareon krung. i lived there last year. some very shady people for sure. i couldn't stay there for long, the mosque starts that weird racket at 4.30am. no shit. 4.30!

Look!  Look over here!!! Overstayers!  They may be ISIS!!!  Ignore the carnage on the Thai roads.  Ignore the news that Thailand is about to become the Number 1 most dangerous country to drive in the world.   We need more manpower to capture and deport overstayers!!!.  There may be 100,000.  Maybe 200,000.  Lord Buddha, maybe more.  Yeah, we only are catching a fraction of one percent of them (hummm, maybe there is significantly less than 100,000 but shhhhh).  We have to assign those funds and resources to stop the foreign menace.  
Carnage on Thai Road?   Just Don't Look!!!  If you don't see it, it's not there.
More Amazing Thailand.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:31 AM, webfact said:

Thailand's deputy Prime Minister has suggested that IS operatives could be among the more than 100,000 people currently on overstay in the kingdom, said Khao Jing the Thai version of Benar News.

Prawit spoke of 100,000 plus people on overstay though other reports are putting the figure at more like 200,000.

One report says 100,000; next day it's risen to 200,000. This whole country is OUT OF CONTROL. Ask Prawit how old he is . . . that should be interesting . . . ugh 62 . . . ugh 124 . . . no that's ridiculous . . . about 74, I think.

And, when asked about IS being amongst them, I picture him shrugging his shoulders as if to say, "Well, anyone could be here . . . couldn't they? I only said IS to get you all wound up."

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

This dimwit Prawit is chalking up even more failures in recent times. First he let Yingluck escape and now he can't account for 200,000 illegal overstayers plus he's got IS terrorists running around the country. What a star act he is and he shows no shame in admitting his failures.

If any minister should get his marching orders in the coming Cabinet reshuffle it should be this this bumbling fool. 

Edited by Cadbury