IS operatives could be among illegal over-stayers hiding out in Thailand, says deputy PM

webfact

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Just out of curiosity, how long have you harboured this desire to be a policeman.

Another easy way could be Immigration mobile verification system can be implemented. So that anyone who are on valid visa entering Thailand will be registered in the computer system, with passport details and validity visa date. Hotels, police, house owners can send passport number by SMS to the system, and the system can return weather he is allowed to stay in Thailand or not. If the SMS returning the expired passport, or visa can be reported to police immediately.

Electronic systems solves many problems, rather than troubling people in Nana.

" The news media again referred to the alleged paying of 100 million in bribes in Phuket to allow illegals to remain in Thailand. Khao Jing stated that this money had been paid to corrupt local police in Phuket. "

Well, there you have it. Government corruption is far greater threat to Thailand than terrorists.

"Depends on what your definition of IS is" Proof Clinton is behind all them thar terrerests....

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Given the swivel eyed fanatics umh - let us say expressed preference for the company of large numbers of virgins I very much doubt that they would be spending their leisure hours in Soi Nana.

Mind you, as a potential target...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You mean all those nice unmarried ladies around that area might not be virgins!

But seriously, it would surely be considered a good target - plenty of infidels (and sinning Muslims) indulging in alcohol and pleasures of the flesh with loose women, ladyboys and gays. I'm surprised the red light districts in a number of country's haven't been targeted.

29 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You mean all those nice unmarried ladies around that area might not be virgins!

But seriously, it would surely be considered a good target - plenty of infidels (and sinning Muslims) indulging in alcohol and pleasures of the flesh with loose women, ladyboys and gays. I'm surprised the red light districts in a number of country's haven't been targeted.

Well, maybe the ones that "only work bar one week"...

I should imagine Nana Plaza, given its shape, single narrow entrance and large number of westerners (and as you say sinning muslims) is a prime target. I'm very surprised it hasn't been hit yet - I'm sure that it will have been recce'd.

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well, maybe the ones that "only work bar one week"...

I should imagine Nana Plaza, given its shape, single narrow entrance and large number of westerners (and as you say sinning muslims) is a prime target. I'm very surprised it hasn't been hit yet - I'm sure that it will have been recce'd.

Or maybe they consider it an R&R area!

It's curious to me the language that's being used in the local news reports here lately on the police bribery allegations.

The reports talk about the foreigners/overstayers, those bad criminals, using bribes to stay in the country.

But the reports never seem to talk about the police demanding or taking the bribes. It's always the foreigners giving the bribes.

I wonder what is the more serious criminal offense in Thailand:

-- being a foreigner on Immigration overstay who pays a bribe,

or

--a government employee/official who takes a bribe to knowingly permit criminal behavior and disregard their sworn duty to enforce the law...

The point being: there wouldn't be a bribery problem on this issue if there weren't officials either demanding or willing to accept bribes. And that's not a foreigners on overstay problem.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

No doubt IS is in Thailand...will they be caught up as overstayers? Maybe, but whoever is caught, getting them out of the country cannot be a be a bad thing. IS is more sophisticated than the average overstayer however. The Thai police are finally being productive!

Real message: You are in danger. You need us strong soldiers to protect you. Don't be fooled by those who say we never won a conflict, other countries are in awe of us. The submarines we cunningly bought with your money will protect us all. The tanks we bought with your money won't be used against you, we promise. We care about Thai people, we love you[r money].

Danger, danger, danger.

Edited by Sid Celery

13 minutes ago, Jim walker said:

Can't they check the arrivals at airports and border crossing for terrorist and arrest them then rather than waiting years to go looking for them again 

No, because they are incompetent, and have no training in immigration duties.

4 hours ago, Sid Celery said:

Real message: You are in danger. You need us strong soldiers to protect you. Don't be fooled by those who say we never won a conflict, other countries are in awe of us. The submarines we cunningly bought with your money will protect us all. The tanks we bought with your money won't be used against you, we promise. We care about Thai people, we love you[r money].

Danger, danger, danger.

Quite right.

Military governments sustain themselves on this sort of thing.

The "enemy" without or the "enemy" within.

Seeing that the local neighbours are not really providing a credible hostile scenario then it must be the "enemy" within.

You can only flog the Shins so much before the whole thing becomes a big yawn so it is on to IS operatives and overstayers...and any other perceived evil foreign phenomena that takes your fancy.....

12 hours ago, car720 said:

It is always easier to be cynical when dealing from strength.  Particularly cashed up strength.I believe that 99% of foreigners here would not be here if they had cash.  They would be in the Maldives or the Greek islands or the Caribbean or any of the other places where the rich and shameless live.

99% are you kidding me!! Where the hell do you hang out/ live in Thailand!! 

That stat is based on your low life friends with no doubt. Maldives?? Omg 

17 hours ago, the guest said:

Deflecting the incompetence by the authorities, toward foreigners is a pretty lame excuse. 

If you cleaned up all the corruption, then you might find there would be less undesirables in the country. Chances of that happening is zero!

Not lame; terrorists are still terrorists, and being able to identify and exclude them is a very real challenge to immigration enforcement everywhere, a fact terrorists have been exploiting for decades.  And they're a proven threat even where corruption is not the issue.  But there's no denying that corruption and would-be terrorists trying to enter illegally are a perfect storm.  In other countries an unwillingness to profile and obsessive political correctness benefit terrorists just as much.

Edited by hawker9000

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There could literally be all sorts of people on overstay. At the very least these people aren't going to be the smartest or most responsible. Didn't have enough cash to get a new visa? Couldn't get the visa they needed so decided to overstay and now can't go home for a holiday because they face being blacklisted? No real excuses to be on overstay. 

I know of three people on overstay. Why on overstay? They spunked all their money up the wall and couldn't be bothered to sort themselves out. Now they live in fear of being taken in. What a miserable experience to be having in a country like Thailand. 

Perhaps some incentive could be offered, like for the kerb riders in Bangkok. A sort of counterbalance to the bribes paid. Possibly catch 2 in one go, an over-stayer and a corrupt official.

I met a American Monk in Thailand who was overstayed. He admitted that he was a criminal in the

USA and as long as he was a monk in Thailand he was okay and safe. He taught English in the

temple, and was liked by the monks and abbot of the temple. Said that he did not miss the NE state

that he was from. Winters were harsh. I know he was not IS just one of the many overstayers in

L O S

Geezer

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's curious to me the language that's being used in the local news reports here lately on the police bribery allegations.

The reports talk about the foreigners/overstayers, those bad criminals, using bribes to stay in the country.

But the reports never seem to talk about the police demanding or taking the bribes. It's always the foreigners giving the bribes.

I wonder what is the more serious criminal offense in Thailand:

-- being a foreigner on Immigration overstay who pays a bribe,

or

--a government employee/official who takes a bribe to knowingly permit criminal behavior and disregard their sworn duty to enforce the law...

The point being: there wouldn't be a bribery problem on this issue if there weren't officials either demanding or willing to accept bribes. And that's not a foreigners on overstay problem.

The ingrained sense of Thai no 1 and can do no wrong is indelable and it takes years of contact with us "forign devils" to wear off.. Seems the powers that be have done an incredible bit of social engineering, to have a low education, severly myopic unquestioning population. But it is changing...

Definitely there must be many IS operatives here.. I believe that it's easy for them to enter from the far south. I have heard many Pakis having marriage Visas and all married to Thais even before entering Thailand . that's so weird.. whatever the nationality be all the overstayers must be blacklisted and send back.. no excuse for overstating. they never turn up for any help from the police or the immigration unless and until they are caught and then come up with weird explanations and excuses.. 

What a strange message coming from the deputy PM to the public with reference to IS. For me there is no doubt that among the 30+ million visitors there will certainly be some linked to the Islamic State, but why would he specify that IS operatives would be over-stayers in Thailand? Emphasis on the word 'operatives'. Unless participating in action, why would an operaive overstay here when his/her services would be needed in other parts of the world?

If I were the deputy PM, or indeed had any connection to the Junta involving specific security of the country, I would be more concerned about the 'home-growns' rather than vague references concerning immigration issues given to the public without proper threat assessment statements.

And IMO, no matter what I may think of ISIS and affiliates, if they planned an infiltration in Thailand, they would be under the radar with correct paperwork. These are dangerous people and not stupid. Don't blame immigration and get a handle on your own internal security would be my message instead of making unsubstantiated statements to the public.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

99% are you kidding me!! Where the hell do you hang out/ live in Thailand!! 

That stat is based on your low life friends with no doubt. Maldives?? Omg 

You are right.  I have got a lot of friends in low places.

One of them once told me that if I ever want to be the big chute in a company then first I have to learn how to clean the toilets.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:23 PM, lust said:

100% there are ISIS <deleted> running around Thailand. You guys should look at what’s happening in the Philippines. Looks like Syria.

Yes, but one needs to consider the astounding coincidence that countries that don't tow the US line suddenly seem to get an ISIS problem.