Cameras being installed in Bangkok to catch motorists changing lanes illegally

webfact

Cameras being installed to catch motorists changing lanes illegally

By The Nation

Traffic police will start using cameras to capture motorists illegally changing lanes at 13 flyovers and one tunnel in Bangkok at the end of this month.

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon, deputy commander of the Traffic Police Division, said on Tuesday that his division is installing 15 cameras at 13 flyovers and one tunnel to catch motorists who illegally switch lanes.

One camera will be installed at 12 bridges, two at one bridge and another at a tunnel.

Motorists who switch lanes to cut in front of a line of vehicles are partly to blame for Bangkok's notorious congestion, he said.

Kitti said the cameras are expected to be installed by November 30 and they will be connected to the traffic police head office. They will be in operation 24-hours and will clearly capture vehicles' licence plates.

Signs will be put up to warn motorists of the use of the cameras.

The cameras will be installed on the following areas:

1. Bang Khen Bridge, on the side of the outbound Ngam Wong Wan road

2. Flyover at the Government Complex, on the side of outbound Chaeng Wattana Road

3. Huay Kwang tunnel, on the side of the inbound Ratchadapisek

4. Flyover at the Borom Ratchonnee Intersection, on the outbound Borom Ratchonnee road

5. Bridge over the Bang Khen roundabout, on the inbound Chaeng Wattana road

6. Bridge over Ratchathewee intersection, on the outbound Phetchaburi road

7. Bridge at the Din Daeng intersection, on the inbound Din Daeng road

8. Bridge at Prachanukul intersection, on the outbound Ratchadapisek road

9. Siriraj Bridge, on the outbound Aroon Amarin road

10. Bridge at the Ratchda-Lard Prao intersection, on the outbound Lard Prao road

11. Bridge at the Ratchada-Lard Prao Intersection, on the inbound Lard Prao road

12. Bridge at Wongsawang intersection, on the outbound Ratchadapisek road

13. Bridge at the Rama IV intersection, on the outbound Ratchadapisek road

14. Memorial Bridge, on the inbound Prajadhipok road

15. Bridge at Kamnan Maen Intersection, on outbound Kalapapruek road.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331557

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-14

Worked with a guy who got a fine in the post for doing an illegal maneuver. They sent him a copy of the pic, too. He was caught bang to rights. He was so angry at the idea of having to pay the fine for what he deemed as 'not a problem'. It was all so unfair. He told me he'd be seeing his police friend to have the fine removed or lowered.

I don't consciously speed. If I did, and I were caught, I'd suck it up and pay the fine. Got no one to be angry with but myself. Want better drivers? Educate people. 

38 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Changing lanes? really? is this the worst of the Thai driver follies?

is this what causes thousands of death on the roads every year?

somebody got the whole managing traffic safety priorities all wrong.... 

No, not the worst or most congestion causing offence. But, it is easy to catch the offenders whilst sitting doing bugger all on your backside in an air-conditioned office/booth.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Changing lanes? really? is this the worst of the Thai driver follies?

is this what causes thousands of death on the roads every year?

somebody got the whole managing traffic safety priorities all wrong.... 

Actually it's much more easy to extort money from motorists who sheepishly follow the law, than it is to extort money from those rebels who blazingly break the law. Cops are lazy, they prefer to avoid confrontations with real criminals. That's why things that are common sense extremely trivial issues get punished way out proportion compared to major crimes. 

Beyond the sheer number of cars on the road, one of the biggest contributors to the hideous congestion is stupid and careless parking. 

Motorcycles, delivery vans, cars all parking on Sukhumvit Sub-Sois effectively turning 2 lane roads into a single lane, the knock-on effect is a traffic snarl-ups which tail back onto the major arteries.

Those who block box junctions also add to the terrible gridlock. 

Courteous driving and parking would do wonders to address no only Bangkok's traffic woes but that of any city and town nationwide. 

It is stupidity and carelessness which creates the issues, changing lanes also has an impact but it's negligible impact when compared to other 'choking' factors. 

On 11/14/2017 at 3:15 PM, glasswort said:

Perhaps they can also catch and fine the motorcyclists that illegally use tunnels and flyovers.

An archaic law if ever there was one, the same as the one saying motorcyclists must stay in the left hand lane. (I was actually stopped for being in the right hand lane to turn right for F's sake!) You are obviously not a motorcyclist, Sir. No offence intended. 

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

An archaic law if ever there was one, the same as the one saying motorcyclists must stay in the left hand lane. (I was actually stopped for being in the right hand lane to turn right for F's sake!) You are obviously not a motorcyclist, Sir. No offence intended. 

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

Sorry but you are quite wrong. I ride a Honda PCX and have no problems obeying the laws, archaic or not.

5 hours ago, CLW said:
On 11/14/2017 at 3:15 PM, glasswort said:
Perhaps they can also catch and fine the motorcyclists that illegally use tunnels and flyovers.

Where is the problem? If I don't want to make a turn I use the flyover with my motorcycle...

Clearly, you are unaware of the law and would be the first to raise hell if you caught and fined. No more to be said.

Clearly, you are unaware of the law and would be the first to raise hell if you caught and fined. No more to be said.
I'm fully aware of what I'm doing. If I get caught I pay the 500 Baht. That's it. And also use the right lane (express way) rather than stuck in the traffic. Got caught 2 times in 4 years so that's reasonable for me.