My car was flooded at a Bangkok hotel. What are my options

mortenaa

You were stupid to park there.  I parked on the ground level during the recent floods in Phuket but I have a truck so it was not an issue but I will always chose the higher levels of the parking garage in the future.  I made the same mistake parking on the top floor of a garage in NY in winter once.  Never again.

Isn't all this just another discussion about insurance....or the lack of it? Usually on TV its about  travel or medical, this time it's vehicle. As a westerner you know to take out GAP insurance if you finance a  car. In the event of a total loss, the car insurance policy pays the current value of the car & the GAP policy pays the difference between that & what you are actually liable for (finance repayment with interest). In this case the write-off is due to flooding, but it could have been fire, accident, theft, etc. This story, as sad as it is, is another example of people coming to Thailand & failing to insurance themselves the same way they would back home?!

On 11/15/2017 at 3:29 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and didn't have a sump pump.

There is probably something written in the hotel blurb in very small print that says something about not being responsible for damage to vehicles parked in their lot etc..

In most EU countries, it is simply not valid.

Written or not, a judge will tell that they are responsible.

But I guess that it couldn't happen here ?

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Go and see the GM of the hotel and tell him exactly what you would be doing if they do not cover for the difference. 
Springing to mind is plastering FB, Twitter and all other social media with their behaviour; if that does not work then get the car tow trucked onto the main ramp in front of the lobby, offloaded there and just dont move - sure you need to get the TV channels (and there are PLENTY leeching for a good story). You'll inform TAAT, TAT and the Ministry of Tourism. Go the full nine yard and you might end up with a new car. As this damage happened on their premises it is irrespective of what their insurance pays or not; they remain liable for the damage unless it is explicitly stated that they refuse any liability on the car parking ticket, general business conditions or with respective signs on the drive-in or garage. For all that they would have to prove that this disclaimer was there before the flood.

Takes some nerves but you'll get there ;-) Good luck and keep us posted 

And then we will be sued for defamation...

I agree with you, I would do it in the west, but not here !

On 11/15/2017 at 3:29 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and didn't have a sump pump.

There is probably something written in the hotel blurb in very small print that says something about not being responsible for damage to vehicles parked in their lot etc..

Or the sump pump wasn't working, (perhaps turned off to save a few baht in electric costs)

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

Irresistible:

That, contrary to what they like to believe of themselves, BMW drivers have no special entitlement?

Perhaps kharma for driving like privileged a** ho***. 55555. <he make joke. My buddy has an AMG Mercedes. He tried driving through a puddle that pickups were driving through which flooded his engine compartment. He could afford the repairs on his luxury vehicle, so he didn't whine about what insurance didn't cover.  

9 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

In most EU countries, it is simply not valid.

Written or not, a judge will tell that they are responsible.

But I guess that it couldn't happen here ?

Clearly you forget rule uno  in Thailand, if farang not here, it wouldn't have happened.

Do not even think about embarking on a civil case here.  Best case scenario, you go to court in a year or two after spending around 100k, you win the case.  They appeal, two years later, another 100k down the drain and the case is adjourned as they didn't turn up.  Two years later..... Average period for a civil suit is 10 years and nobody wins except the lawyer.

Archived