Swede busted for selling chewing tobacco without work permit

Rimmer

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

More than likely a farang police volunteer. Thats not unheard of, to have them pose as customers etc.

I can totally see some of the police volunteer storm troopers ratting out fellow farangs and loving it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Because the informer is in trouble himself and now the Swedish guy can rat  someone else out  :-)

A story like this is a good example of why I would never do business here and why I never hang out with other Farangs here.

The informer, as mentioned above, was probably a police volunteer.  They are used like this on a regular basis. 

The law is pretty clear.  You can't work here without a permit.  Do so at your own risk.  Not sure why you guys are so upset.  He can get a work permit and then he's legal.

Also, they are cracking down on stuff being sold via social media.  They've caught people selling guns, drugs, endangered species, girls, etc.  This guy might have gotten caught by those looking for offenders like this.  And he is an offender.

57 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

If you are doing it for a profit, then yes. If you're just clearing out unwanted stuff from your garage, then no.

They are probably working on that and bust you for selling 4 family members bicycles over an expat forum.

38 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

One of our own,  doing this sort of thing to the guy.

shameful. how low can you go. there is real nasty crime in this town

and on the roads.  but you help the Bib do this.

I wish you a bucketful,    of Bad karma, who ever you were. 

Without any background on the guy, it's hard to pass that kind of judgment. 

Could just be a guy selling tobacco.  (In which case, I'd agree with you)  Or he could be under suspicion of any number of other things, and a WP violation was the easiest way to get him off the streets. 

If I see one of my foreign neighbors selling tobacco, I won't bat an eyelash.   If I suspect one of fiddling with the local kids, I'll grass him up on whatever the BIB ask me to... The WP violation is a lot easier and more certain than a he-said, she-said contest in court.

50 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Why would any foreigner get involved in an undercover sting operation to set-up a guy over a relatively minor offence? There are reportedly foreigners engaging in boiler room and property fraud in Thailand who are noted "pillars of the community" ... I wonder why they are never targeted?

Shipping "sin" tax items across borders without proper shipping/customs manifests is not taken lightly.... and since they likely could not arrest him directly, they co-operated with Thai police to nab him.  (my guess)

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The informer, as mentioned above, was probably a police volunteer.  They are used like this on a regular basis. 

The law is pretty clear.  You can't work here without a permit.  Do so at your own risk.  Not sure why you guys are so upset.  He can get a work permit and then he's legal.

Also, they are cracking down on stuff being sold via social media.  They've caught people selling guns, drugs, endangered species, girls, etc.  This guy might have gotten caught by those looking for offenders like this.  And he is an offender.

Yes, Thailand is a prime example, when it comes to justice and law-enforcement. And good they got this guy. Up next... the Red Bull guy!

Edited by khunpa

15 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Shipping "sin" tax items across borders without proper shipping/customs manifests is not taken lightly.... and since they likely could not arrest him directly, they co-operated with Thai police to nab him.  (my guess)

Yet wide scale fraud were people are losing millions is taken lightly? Is it because some people are making money from it? I've no problem with the law being upheld as long as it is upheld and applied to every crime.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Oh well, there goes that cunning plan to get round the tabacco fag ban on the beaches !

You can use chewing tobacco on the beach, just not sell it openly.   Although if you do use it, please spit in a cup and not onto the sand!

18 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

I know there are lot of freelancers, selling Thai products on eBay.

Is it a crime ?

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Thai love Thai

Foreigners don't love foreigners

Thais have that going for them.

Foreign snitches should be ashamed

You don't know much about Thais.  They snitch on each other all the time...especially when there's a bit of money involved.

2 hours ago, dictater said:

How in this instance is he denying a Thai person work/income or profit? I know that is not the regulations on which the work permit is given but it is the basis on which the labor law was created. 

There are multiple offences here but the cops have just gone with the easiest option.

Chewing tobacco is banned in Thailand.

The tobacco was smuggled.

No income tax was being paid.

No excise duty was being paid.

51 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

To me, this seems like good warning to those people that work online, play poker online, write travel blogs for months on end on line.  The Thai laws about working in Thailand can be interpreted by the Thai authorities in ways you may not like. 

I don't think it was the online component that got the guy in trouble, though it does apparently violate WP laws.  I suspect the guy would have been fine if he hadn't actually delivered the goodies in Thailand (and in person, to boot). 

I struggle to see where travel blogging, online poker or shipping Thai made EBay goods overseas from Thailand would even ping the radar.  While technically illegal, the odds of getting caught are minuscule, and may be worth the risk for someone who can't afford to stay in Thailand without funding it somehow.  If they have to leave anyway due to no money, there's not much downside to making some YouTube money...

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

With so many serious criminals in this country -- murderers, kidnappers, people traffickers, hit and run drivers, serious embezzlers and thieves -- once again the useless Thai cops go for the low-hanging fruit. This country never changes. 

Well, that might be the easiest way to score, don't you think.

But never mind, police forces all over the world like easy pickings.

And of course arresting small fry, end users.

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

With so many serious criminals in this country -- murderers, kidnappers, people traffickers, hit and run drivers, serious embezzlers and thieves -- once again the useless Thai cops go for the low-hanging fruit. This country never changes. 

You seem to assume that all the above crims were bypassed to go just for this guy or suchlike.. Er, you know that how? Oh, I get it, the usual 'I just do, its just the way it is here!'.. again, er.. right.. so you're just another Negative Ninny, then, really? And, anyway, even if it were so, hardly something NOT thrown at law officers all around the world is it?.. You know, like "Shouldn't you be out catching serious criminals?', but, for the sake of not wanting to be  a foreigner heard NOT whinging constantly about something, here, lets make Thailand a 'special case' again and again and again, ad nauseum, ad infinitum, yeah?...   :wai:

Edited by spectrumisgreen

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There are multiple offences here but the cops have just gone with the easiest option.

Here you can buy it, made in Thailand

https://www.siamsnus.com/

http://svensktsnus.co.th/?i=en

Cheaper than buying in Sweden and smuggle it.

20 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Smokeless tobacco products such as snus may not be imported into Thailand. However, shredded tobacco is typically used for both hand-rolled cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products. Therefore, the health warnings for shredded tobacco and blended shredded tobacco are cited here. Picture and text warnings must occupy 55% of both PDAs (30% if the package is not rectangular) and be printed in four colors. There are four warnings prescribed and rotation must be at the rate of 500 packs/cartons per image. It should be noted, however, that the warnings pertain to “smoking” rather than chewing.

https://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/legislation/country/thailand/pl-health-warnings

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Here you can buy it.

https://www.siamsnus.com/

Cheaper than buying in Sweden and smuggle it.

There was an announcement several years ago about it being banned. Dunno if they backtracked on that, looks like they did.

These guys must be the connected, 50% cops beneficial ownership, the law doesn't apply, monopolistic sellers (just joking):tongue: (well 50%) :whistling: (actually not sure if I'm joking or not) :unsure:

If you were showing me where I could buy some for myself, no thanks, I would rather suck on a pair of my sweaty socks.

2 hours ago, dictater said:

How in this instance is he denying a Thai person work/income or profit? I know that is not the regulations on which the work permit is given but it is the basis on which the labor law was created. 

You'd be surprised at some of the things you can't do without a work permit.  I try not to think about it every time I sweep the soi outside the house.  But, if I don't do it, I'll have to wait for gale-force winds.  I really do despair sometimes.

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

Because the informer is in trouble himself and now the Swedish guy can rat  someone else out  :-)

A story like this is a good example of why I would never do business here and why I never hang out with other Farangs here.

Another speculation that came to mind, because I do not understand the foreigner's action.

Is it possible that they know each other and maybe run a business together? Or is it just the guy's wife, he'd like to have?

Something doesn't add up here and smells damn fishy. 

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

:cheesy:

It helped me stop smoking 10 years ago.

Were you then able to give up the chewing tobacco?

I gave up smoking 12 years ago by getting very drunk and smoking over a packet in a night. (not recommended method)