Search continues for missing Argentine submarine with 44 crew members

rooster59

Search continues for missing Argentine submarine with 44 crew members

640x640 (1).jpg

The Argentine military submarine ARA San Juan and crew are seen leaving the port of Buenos Aires, Argentina June 2, 2014. Picture taken on June 2, 2014. Armada Argentina/Handout via REUTERS

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - An Argentine military submarine with 44 crew members on board was missing at sea in the South Atlantic on Friday, prompting a massive search to locate the vessel which may have suffered a communication error, a navy spokesman said.

The ARA San Juan submarine was in the southern Argentine Sea, 432 km (268 miles) from the Patagonian coast when it gave its last location two days ago.

"When the submarine has no communication with land, it has to go to the surface, and so visual or radar detection is what is important," Argentine naval spokesman Enrique Balbi told reporters. "The search in the area remains hot."

The navy began an air and sea search on Thursday. On Friday afternoon, Argentina's foreign ministry said that the U.S., British and Chilean governments had offered logistical support and exchanges of information to assist with the search.

A Chilean aircraft with the ability to search during the night was en route to assist, Chile's Foreign Minister Heraldo Munoz said.

Balbi said the submarine, which left the southern city of Ushuaia for Mar del Plata, both in Argentina, had food supply for several days and would likely continue its journey despite communication problems.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-18

It might be a good idea if people remember that this would not be a very nice way to die.   Possibly somewhere near the bottom of the ocean, knowing you will run out of oxygen.  

Let's keep it civil.  

They seem inherently dangerous, a bit like helicopters, every now and then we get a tragedy. The one that sticks in my mind is that Russian sub "Kursk" (2000) but there's a long history of problems before and after that. Let's hope this one is just a communication problem, as implied by the article.

14 hours ago, Scott said:

It might be a good idea if people remember that this would not be a very nice way to die.   Possibly somewhere near the bottom of the ocean, knowing you will run out of oxygen.  

Let's keep it civil.  

Unless in shallow water,  probably a very quick implosion, i would think if they were sitting on the bottom they would have distress beacons they could deploy.

14 hours ago, Scott said:

Let's keep it civil.  

It begs the question yet again as to what kind of military sends their country's youngsters out on these vessels without adequate resources to rescue them from harm's way. 'Bastards' is all that I can say.

Serving your country? My backside.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

It begs the question yet again as to what kind of military sends their country's youngsters out on these vessels without adequate resources to rescue them from harm's way. 'Bastards' is all that I can say.

Serving your country? My backside.

Every country that operates submarines is the answer to your question "what kind of military".

A submarine is a risky proposition, every single time a submarine goes to sea and submerges the ocean serves as your protector (gives you stealth), but the ocean could also just as easily kill you. A valve lineup gone wrong, or faulty piping could cause flooding, or a battery fire that could not be extinguished. Every single time a submarine dives below the surface, the submarine and everyone onboard is at risk from the very ocean that it sails under. Risks can be minimized through training, procedures, maintenance, and qualification to stand various watch stations, but the risk that the ocean itself presents is always there. One mistake, one over sight, one chain of errors and the relentless pressure of the depths will be there waiting to take the boat and crew.

It is the definition of service to put your life in harms way for your country, no one is ever guaranteed safety or rescue. I hope the Argentinian submarine is found safe, I hope their families are taken care of if they are not. I spent 24 years serving on U.S. Navy nuclear submarines, much of that time at sea and whenever I hear of a submarine sinking or missing (no matter of the nationality) my heart goes out to the crew and families of that crew.

Thailand may be subject and source of a similar story sometime.  They should pay close attention. 

A country with an Aircraft Carrier without aircraft.  Soon to be owners of Submarines with little and poor maintenance.  

Lets pray for the Thai Submariners, while we're at it.  

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

Every country that operates submarines is the answer to your question "what kind of military".

A submarine is a risky proposition, every single time a submarine goes to sea and submerges the ocean serves as your protector (gives you stealth), but the ocean could also just as easily kill you. A valve lineup gone wrong, or faulty piping could cause flooding, or a battery fire that could not be extinguished. Every single time a submarine dives below the surface, the submarine and everyone onboard is at risk from the very ocean that it sails under. Risks can be minimized through training, procedures, maintenance, and qualification to stand various watch stations, but the risk that the ocean itself presents is always there. One mistake, one over sight, one chain of errors and the relentless pressure of the depths will be there waiting to take the boat and crew.

It is the definition of service to put your life in harms way for your country, no one is ever guaranteed safety or rescue. I hope the Argentinian submarine is found safe, I hope their families are taken care of if they are not. I spent 24 years serving on U.S. Navy nuclear submarines, much of that time at sea and whenever I hear of a submarine sinking or missing (no matter of the nationality) my heart goes out to the crew and families of that crew.

I would argue that in the main you aren't "serving your country". You are serving the pride and financial interests of an elite body of your country. People who don't care about you. If they did, they would be sending these young people out there with the absolute best equipment and backup money can buy, not the 'best resources available' as is frequently touted.

Look at the Kursk disaster - If memory serves me correctly they didn't even have a proper rescue vehicle and had to turn to Britain and Norway, long after it was too late.

I will of course join you in sending my heart out to the crew and their families.

13 hours ago, car720 said:

When was the last time a sub was sunk or lost???

Well, there was this private submarine and the decapitated reporter thing not too long ago. As for "proper" Navy submarines - 2013 (I think), an Indian submarine exploded and sank while at port. Guess the notable example would be the Kursk (2000). But numerous other accidents all around over the years.

On 18/11/2017 at 10:14 AM, Scott said:

Let's keep it civil.  

My thoughts also, not great prospect of a good outcome, God be with them. 

Argentina missing submarine: Satellite signals detected

Signals have been detected that are thought to have come from an Argentine submarine that went missing with 44 crew on board, officials say.

The defence ministry is now trying to trace the location of the seven failed satellite calls received on Saturday.

Argentina has stepped up the search in the South Atlantic for the ARA San Juan submarine, with a Nasa research plane joining in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-42041978

Would have thought they would have a pinger, supped up version of the ones fitted to black boxes. 

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/23/argentina-says-sound-detected-in-search-for-missing-submarine-is-consistent-with-non-nuclear-explosion.html

Unfortunately a battery fire on a submarine is a very serious casualty, it can be very difficult to combat. It is likely (my opinion) the battery fire cooked off one, or more of the torpedoes in the torpedo room (which has one of several battery banks below it's floor). 

RIP