About to start building - best way to keep my investment safe

You will simply walk away like everybody does ! Or maybe you plan to build a 50 millions house that really need protection ? But for a 2 millions house I would not bother...

If a Thai does the nasty on you. Which has not happened. Wheres the best place to try and hit them?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, baneko said:

If a Thai does the nasty on you. Which has not happened. Wheres the best place to try and hit them?

There is no best place. The neighbors, friends, police and courts will all line up against a falang. That's the reality.

The best option is to simply walk away.

Please understand I am not Thai-bashing. It's just the way it is.

Edited by bazza73

12 hours ago, kenk24 said:

The sound guess is yes, land in Chonburi has gone up... We have been buying farmland - again, nothing that will be sold in my lifetime but a gift to the family. I would say that land has been going up on average 15% per year... and sometimes more. 

A friend built on land in Phuket - he did much of the work himself on the house and it was beautiful. He might have had a 20% increase over cost, not much more and the land, which he sold off in pieces probably tripled in value... 

If you are close enough to the Pattaya market, it should have some resale value.. 

And just a personal observation - the few people I have seen who thought they could do all sorts of manipulations against their investment in property ended up with nothing, other than a threat by the wife's family, though a couple of them deserved it... but at the time, they thought they were so smart, telling me to do this or that. My wife and her family are nice people - I will never feel badly about providing for them, even if we split. 

It is important to note that I have never put more on the table than I was prepared to lose. 

Sensible post and congratulations on being the first person to spell 'lose' correctly - everybody keeps writing loose - which is what happens to horses when somebody leaves the gate open. :smile:

On 19/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, trogers said:

A house on wheels is the way to go...

Just build an adjacent bathroom and an open kitchen and you are good to go...

Drive off when things don't work out.

Edited by trogers

11 hours ago, bazza73 said:

There is no best place. The neighbors, friends, police and courts will all line up against a falang. That's the reality.

The best option is to simply walk away.

Please understand I am not Thai-bashing. It's just the way it is.

13 hours ago, baneko said:

And isn't that the best advice for most things... it takes strength to walk away. You get in a spitting match and you are sure to get spit upon... just not worth it. 

8 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Sensible post and congratulations on being the first person to spell 'lose' correctly - everybody keeps writing loose - which is what happens to horses when somebody leaves the gate open. :smile:

Yes. I have noticed that too... and other words as well, the old to-too conflict... though long ago, I noticed that I was writing "lightening" for "lightning"... 

Just now, baneko said:

In Scotland we call it a hoose not a house....Haha.

And here a hoose is called a hou - - as they tend to drop hte ending as in Mickey Mou...

Viva la difference!! At least for me... I love being in a place where things are done differently...