Police ‘need time’ for probe into Phuket officers

webfact

Police ‘need time’ for probe into Phuket officers

By The Nation

Pol General Suchart Thirasawat, acting police inspector-general, said more time is needed for police to inquire into corruption claims concerning some Phuket officers.

He was referring to complaints of the alleged acceptance of up to Bt100 million in bribes linked to officers who allegedly failed to arrest 142 visa-overstaying foreigners for deportation, as well as alleged extortion by demanding monthly bribes from local business operators.

Sucart said the recent transfer of 10 Phuket-based policemen to the Royal Thai Police Operations Command Centre in Bangkok was part of this corruption probe.

He said the officers’ supervisors at the Immigration Police Bureau, the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division and Provincial Police Region 8 would appoint appropriate officers to fill in for the transferred officers.

If the transferred officers were deemed not guilty of the accusations, they would be sent back to their previous positions, he said.

The ongoing probe would take some time as the committee members needed to check all information, including testimonies from business operators and police officers, and review other evidence, Suchart said.

While he could not provide further information to the reporters now, he would provide an update on progress in the investigation.

An earlier news report had suggested that four of the transferred officers were moved from the Patong police station amid allegations that their recent crackdown on a restaurant in the popular tourist town had affected the business of certain police officers in Bangkok.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332056

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-20

33 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I'm sure it will take long enough for those concerned to calculate how much they can afford to pay to keep on riding the gravy train. Expect a couple of scapegoats but then it will be business as usual, the way it always is here.

Thailand as a whole is rotten to the core with corruption. It's reputation for having one of the highest black economies in the world is also well deserved. On the other hand I also think it is the grease that keeps the honest part of the economy turning. Take way corruption and the black economy and the whole place would implode. 

"amid allegations that their recent crackdown on a restaurant in the popular tourist town had affected the business of certain police officers in Bangkok"

Messing with a bigger pooyai is not a good idea and can have unwanted consequences. 

Edited by hanuman2543

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol General Suchart Thirasawat, acting police inspector-general, said more time is needed for police to inquire into corruption claims concerning some Phuket officers.

Let me re-phrase that:

A POLICE commander said more time is needed for POLICE to inquire into corruption claims concerning some POLICE officers in Phuket.

We all know how that "inquiry" is going to end, don't we? It's a bit like asking a banker to investigate irregularities in his own bank and expecting that the entire inquiry will be above board and transparent.

Need more time? Right

Sweeping all that stuff under the carpet is time-consuming work, so they count on the 9-day-wonder syndrome.

Thailand and corruption will always be the best of friends. I saw an estimate a couple of years ago that corruption leeches away about 40% of GDP. Amazing really, and with that kind of penetration, and recognising that corruption from the top-down, whereas the money flows from the bottom-up, nothing is going to change. Nothing.

Need more time? Right

Sweeping all that stuff under the carpet is time-consuming work, so they count on the 9-day-wonder syndrome.

Thailand and corruption will always be the best of friends. I saw an estimate a couple of years ago that corruption leeches away about 40% of GDP. Amazing really, and with that kind of penetration, and recognising that corruption from the top-down, whereas the money flows from the bottom-up, nothing is going to change. Nothing.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Let me re-phrase that:

A POLICE commander said more time is needed for POLICE to inquire into corruption claims concerning some POLICE officers in Phuket.

We all know how that "inquiry" is going to end, don't we? It's a bit like asking a banker to investigate irregularities in his own bank and expecting that the entire inquiry will be above board and transparent.

money will flow

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Thailand as a whole is rotten to the core with corruption. It's reputation for having one of the highest black economies in the world is also well deserved. On the other hand I also think it is the grease that keeps the honest part of the economy turning. Take way corruption and the black economy and the whole place would implode.

I think you could well be right Cadbury , I sometimes think those on TV here could do a much better job of running this place . I want to be in charge of ROADS . I could implement a few things that would make things better and I am just a ferlung that has retired here.

The watchdog Police Watch?  What on earth do you suppose this organization is, and where have they been hiding all this time? Has any organization, in the history of mankind been less effective than this ridiculous organization? 

The police need more time to investigate the police, and there are fears that this is a nationwide issue. News alert! Call in the FBI. A crime has been detected. 

How does one even respond to something like this? The Thai police are known the world over, for being one of the least effective law enforcement agencies on the planet, and by far, one of the most corrupt. And they expect us to take this kind of talk of alarm and concern seriously?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It would be no surprise if the inquiry results in defamation cases against those who have brought negative attention to the good name of the Phuket police

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The watchdog Police Watch?  What on earth do you suppose this organization is, and where have they been hiding all this time? Has any organization, in the history of mankind been less effective than this ridiculous organization? 

The police need more time to investigate the police, and there are fears that this is a nationwide issue. News alert! Call in the FBI. A crime has been detected. 

How does one even respond to something like this? The Thai police are known the world over, for being one of the least effective law enforcement agencies on the planet, and by far, one of the most corrupt. And they expect us to take this kind of talk of alarm and concern seriously?

He is asking for more time to investigate  How about a 20 year  time frame would that be enough time? I see 8 officers transferred again?  What a joke? Should be stood down with pay until sorted out. Maybe  just maybe it is time to stand the head of the police force

Just now, Happyman58 said:

He is asking for more time to investigate  How about a 20 year  time frame would that be enough time? I see 8 officers transferred again?  What a joke? Should be stood down with pay until sorted out. Maybe  just maybe it is time to stand the head of the police force

down

29 minutes ago, colinneil said:

When you have corrupt people investigating corruption the end result will be corrupt.

They never will stamp it out Col It is like a vampire once you get the taste for blood you cant stop They got the taste for corruption and cant stop I tend to think of them as criminals in brown uniforms with nice badges to show it is all legal

Why start bashing only the police?

You know there are local Thai mob/gangster/mafia groups there that aren't afraid of the police.

The deportation of the police back to Bangkok hopefully isn't just that, as the gangsters are probably having a field day right about now, thinking "Next!"

Need more time? Right
Need more time? Right

What do you mean by 'corruption leeches away about 40% of GDP', that's just creative redistribution of other people's wealth (whether ill-gained or not).[emoji12]

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, longtom said:

What do you mean by 'corruption leeches away about 40% of GDP', that's just creative redistribution of other people's wealth (whether ill-gained or not).emoji12.png

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes indeed. An untaxed and illegal creative redistribution. But there are doubtless some who see nothing wrong with that.

Each to his own.