• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, isitworthit said:

Can they just not be friends 

some  friend calling them Farangs 

Some friend to have they are people like you and I 

What does this have to do with my post or this thread??????   You are a 'newbie' to TV and most likely to Thailand...... and haven't learned the lingo yet...... and you are attacking me??????

I have been closely involved with Thailand and Thai's for well over 30 years and speak a fair bit of Thai..........  Farang is a proper Thai word and is not derogatory and I am not belittling my friends.........  Haven't you seen it used in Thai newspapers? or heard a Thai woman talking about her 'Farang' husband?    It is a Thai word distinguishing Westerners ----- 'Round-eyed', lite skinned foreigners...... 

Nothing 'nasty about 'farang' unless somebody intends it to be nasty..... Just as the word 'Pig' or 'Buffalo'... they are NOT nasty words but can be used in some cases as nasty words............

I can only surmise that you learned Farang to be negative when somebody called you a a 'lousy farang' or 'cheap-charlie' farang as you were leaving their bar.......... Really, It is not bad unless they mean it to be bad and you can normally tell by the adjective that precedes it.........

One only has to look at other countries fighting corruption where the penalties are much steeper and it isn't easy. So in Thailand, moving officers to inactive posts or something similar, is hardly going to do anything against corruption. 

33 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

What does this have to do with my post or this thread??????   You are a 'newbie' to TV and most likely to Thailand...... and haven't learned the lingo yet...... and you are attacking me??????

I have been closely involved with Thailand and Thai's for well over 30 years and speak a fair bit of Thai..........  Farang is a proper Thai word and is not derogatory and I am not belittling my friends.........  Haven't you seen it used in Thai newspapers? or heard a Thai woman talking about her 'Farang' husband?    It is a Thai word distinguishing Westerners ----- 'Round-eyed', lite skinned foreigners...... 

Nothing 'nasty about 'farang' unless somebody intends it to be nasty..... Just as the word 'Pig' or 'Buffalo'... they are NOT nasty words but can be used in some cases as nasty words............

I can only surmise that you learned Farang to be negative when somebody called you a a 'lousy farang' or 'cheap-charlie' farang as you were leaving their bar.......... Really, It is not bad unless they mean it to be bad and you can normally tell by the adjective that precedes it.........

So true.  In China they call you "laowei".  It is not derogatory, it just means foreigner.  In Spain they call us " Giri", and so on and so on.  In Australia they call me a Pommie.  :cheesy:

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

The Thai police force is a cesspit of corruption.  They stifle business; commandeer produce; skim profits; intimidate the public; ignore crime when it suits.  Thailand will continue on its mediaeval way till someone grasps the nettle.

As long as they don't do a Toxin and shoot everyone including quite a few of the opposition.

Too deeply ingrained in Thai society to make any real change I fear.

Any suggestions as to who could grasp the nettle?

4 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

As long as they don't do a Toxin and shoot everyone including quite a few of the opposition.

Too deeply ingrained in Thai society to make any real change I fear.

Any suggestions as to who could grasp the nettle?

Only the army are strong enough but then again they are as deeply enmeshed as the police.

14 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I reckon one of your Thai friends will rip you off eventually.  Like you said, the majority of them are dishonest without exception.

You can't be that good a judge of character.

A friend of 5 years fraudulently ripped me off for 250,000 baht.   A week ago I was suspicious that is no longer the case.

Go to the police yeah nothing will happen to him. He was always honest and I am a good judge of character, not everyone is a scumbag but I will not ever do what I did again

Edited by USPatriot

13 hours ago, Here It Is said:

An earlier poster reckons the majority of Thais are dishonest without exception, but has a small clique of Thai friends that are honest. 

Not sure why these people came to LOS if that's their attitude.

But it's a pretty much true statement IMHO ,and yes i have lived here 18 years and find most untrustworthy and in general deal with them as little as possible.

However, Thammarat said he believed the illegal practices would be phased out as the local economy became more efficiently regulated, with new rules for migrant workers and the adoption of an old proposal about rezoning areas where entertainment venues operate to establish a new licensing system.

Cloud cuckoo land!

14 hours ago, ebean001 said:

I have lived in other countries and can assure you that this issue of ‘extortion’ is not simple. Before you think you know the answers there is a lot of information you must know. Don’t call it bad simply because of the word used…extortion. It may not be.

Keeping it simple…a business makes money. A business needs essential services like police and fire. How does a business pay for these services? How much do they pay? How much do the service provider get paid? Once you know this then you can define ‘extortion’ and ‘taxes’.

For example, in the USA it is well laid out…tax dollars pay for services. If the service provider is lowly paid for whatever reason then they will tend to use their power to gain what they think is the amount of money they deserve. About 15 years ago the New Orleans police were paid about $4.95/hour. Talk about corruption. They lead the world in that category.

In one country the police would go business to business collecting money each month. That money was used to pay the police to provide subsequent services. It was a ‘tax’ not extortion since the country had no system.

The bottom line: are the business getting what they paid for? How much are service providers paid? How much does the public pay for the services?  Should they pay more or less? To me that must be managed well. How the money is paid is based on the system implemented. Bad systems normally mean questionable results. (and no system seem to be perfect).

On some buildings in Chicago you can still find little brass medallions about the size of your palm with a city fireman's logo.

They were put on by fire chiefs for buildings that had fire insurance so the firemen knew they would get paid.

45 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The Thai police force is a cesspit of corruption.  They stifle business; commandeer produce; skim profits; intimidate the public; ignore crime when it suits.  Thailand will continue on its mediaeval way till someone grasps the nettle.

a UN Report, not terribly long ago, explicitly described thailand police as 'organized crime'

14 hours ago, Here It Is said:

An earlier poster reckons the majority of Thais are dishonest without exception, but has a small clique of Thai friends that are honest. 

Not sure why these people came to LOS if that's their attitude.

That was me, my friend, and, as you know, that is not what I said.

If you really want to refer to previous comments, then use quotes rather than posting your interpretation of what you wish they had said.  Otherwise you're making a monkey of yourself.

Also, do you not think that someone can come to Thailand and then learn about Thais? Maybe? Or was I right that you were not thinking?

Thought so.

The police have no interest in correcting illegal things.  They only want to be able to fine for what is illegal.  I have a friend that is a higher up in the Ratchaburi police department.  I once asked him why don't you get mechanics with light bulbs and make motorcycles with burnt out lights pay to have them fixed at checkpoints?  His only response was that it was already illegal not to have working lights.  Then another time he was talking about how the police in Ratchaburi are good at going after vehicles that have illegal modifications or are unsafe.  And he said the police in the town we live in were too lazy to do it.  I asked him Do you make the vehicles get repairs or just fine them?  He said just fine them.  I told him in the US they give you tickets where you have to get the vehicle repaired and then report back to the police station to get it signed off that the repair was made.  He said we have that too we just don't use it.

So like I said they don't have any inclination to fix stuff, only to be able to keep collecting money from the same infractions.

The top cop appointed to run the RTP following the coup of May 2014 has declared (my itals) assets of more than 11.5 million US dollars (No prizes for guessing he didn't accumulate that kind of wealth from his police pay). 

Thai police officers, according to the latest figures I could unearth, are paid 14,760 baht per month - 6,800–8,340 baht for entry level - and apparently have to buy their own guns and even office supplies

With such lowly rewards for risking life and limb on a daily basis, is it really surprising that so many of them routinely tap the public for bribes, or solicit protection money from dodgy businesses to top up their salaries and buy promotions?

Thailand's 220,000 strong police force is arguably overmanned (particularly in the higher echelons where salaries are generous) and could easily be reduced by greater investment in surveillance and other technology. This would free up money to properly reward ordinary cops at the sharp end of the war on crime - which ultimately is the only way to create a less corrupt and more user-friendly RTP.

16 hours ago, kaorop said:

Many are, many arent, give the opportunity most people in the world will take the money and run....its in our nature....its the systems that allow it at fault and those with the power to make changes who wont as they are the ones that most benefit from it..

I don’t think most people would run, it depends on your upbringing and social circumstances.

34 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

<Snipped to isolate the point referred to>

Thai police officers, according to the latest figures I could unearth, are paid 14,760 baht per month - 6,800–8,340 baht for entry level - and apparently have to buy their own guns and even office supplies

<Snipped to isolate the point referred to>

One reason for the ubiquitous acceptance of corruption in Thailand might be the tradition that appointees to the judiciary and civil service should generate their own income and not be a burden on the King's exchequer.

This was more than a hundred years ago and maybe much longer of course, but we all know how Thais like to live way back in the past. Just look at the TV shows they produce - painful.

Edited by Sid Celery

The sad, difficult and ironic aspect of this relates to the layers of generations of corruption that exists in various police, military and every other government sector or aspect of Thai life.  Many of the senior officers tasked with rooting out the corruption in various places have their own bodies buried, some times (literally or figuratively)  and their subordinates sometimes might know where they are buried.  It makes it very hard to crack down when people know similar things about your past.   Many of these senior officers or public servants,  right up to the top, regardless of how anti-corruption they might have become now, were previously forced by a broken system to buy their earlier promotions or appointments with family or borrowed money and/or had to pay them off with bribe money.   It will take generations to clear this mess up.   Of course, many western countries have similar problems but Asian & African continents seem to have it in a different scale.

Thai logic: 
Ban the production, import and sales of brown envelopes. 
If there are no brown envelopes, they can't be filled with money and handed over. 
If there are no brown envelopes, they can't be used for corruption!

No brown envelopes = No corruption !!!
Thai corruption problem solved !!!

Just now, PAIBKK said:

Thai logic: 
Ban the production, import and sales of brown envelopes. 
If there are no brown envelopes, they can't be filled with money and handed over. 
If there are no brown envelopes, they can't be used for corruption!

No brown envelopes = No corruption !!!
Thai corruption problem solved !!!

Colour never fazed the officials here If they cant get brown enevlopes they will accept white envelopes No problem