UK's May meets senior ministers to discuss Brexit divorce bill offer

webfact

38 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

All the Brexiteers I meet say it's a disaster and blame the EU or the government.

I listen to a lot of debate on this, particularly on radio talk shows.  I hear a lot of people who voted Remain now saying we should leave, and as quickly as possible. Mainly due to the dictatorial behaviour coming from the EU. Many also felt hoodwinked by Cameron and Osborn who told us we would fall off a cliff immediately after a Leave vote, and face a 3rd world war.

Those who voted leave are generally getting increasingly angry and wanting to walk away without a deal. I have rarely heard a Leave voter wanting to scrap Brexit. So in all I get the impression UK public opinion has shifted further toward Leave since the referendum.

I do understand the fears of the (remaining) remainers.  There are some huge challenges ahead, and the next few years will not be free of problems.  The situation isn't helped by the globalist establishment flooding the media with scare stories, and only focussing on the negatives. There are lots of multi-billionaire businessmen who get progressively richer from globalism. They are putting all their weight behind the scare campaign.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, vogie said:

You say we can walk away from brexit at any time, I could just as easily say we can walk away from the EU at any time and pay nothing, do you honestly think the EU has nothing to lose by pushing us into that scenario?

This is hard work isn't it.  Of course the EU will lose out if we walk away and Barnier has said many times that it would be a disaster for both sides just like Davis has said.  The UK cannot walk away from the EU because it would be economic suicide and May and Davis would be lynched.  Why do you think that they haven't walked away already but instead have now pledged to pay 40 billion to get some sort of trade deal?  On the other hand we could walk away from Brexit and not suffer any loss at all.  The pound would strengthen and Britain would keep it's position as the 5th most successful economy in the world.  It might even mean that the government would work on more money for the NHS and schools.

We all have our own view as to how this will end and I am passionate about Britain doing the right thing.  I am sure you are the same.

22 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Those who voted leave are generally getting increasingly angry and wanting to walk away without a deal. I have rarely heard a Leave voter wanting to scrap Brexit. So in all I get the impression UK public opinion has shifted further toward Leave since the referendum.

Then why are all the Brexiteers so scared of a second referendum?  According to your logic you would win with a stronger majority.  As for people who phone in to radio stations, do you really think they are representative of the public?  Seems to me most of them just like the sound of their own voice.  I will concede that the vast majority of the people I know voted remain and the brexiteers where I live are pretty thin on the ground.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Then why are all the Brexiteers so scared of a second referendum?  According to your logic you would win with a stronger majority.  As for people who phone in to radio stations, do you really think they are representative of the public?  Seems to me most of them just like the sound of their own voice.  I will concede that the vast majority of the people I know voted remain and the brexiteers where I live are pretty thin on the ground.

I don't think Brexiteers are necessarily scared of a second referendum.  It's more a case of wanting to get on with it, and not wanting to waste more time (and a whole lot of money) on another one. For me it would be interesting to see how Ref 2 would go without the government of the day pushing hard for one side, as Cameron did for Remain. I've always thought it was wrong for the government to take sides.

I agree we have to take what we hear at face value in terms of public sentiment. Nobody really knows how a 2nd vote would go.

At the same time, nobody knows how the negotiations will finish up. Maybe with 4 years of project funding secured (€40bn) the EU will agree to a good permanent trade deal for both sides. 

After all, the UK's legal financial obligation through Article 50 is zero, the moral obligation is perhaps 10-20bn (commitments to the end of the EU financial period), so 40bn is a generous amount of goodwill from our side.

Edited by CG1 Blue

12 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Not a rebellion as such but everyone will be angry about a bill of 40 billion.  The remainers will be angry because they can see the cost of having a team of useless embarrassingly bad negotiators screwing Brexit up and the leavers will be angry because at last they will see the lies we were all told, exposed.  We were promised £350 million a week for the NHS and instead we will end up paying 40 billion.  Fat chance of any money for the NHS for years to come.  Of course they will be angry and that is why, for the moment, the government is still keeping the figure under wraps. 

No doubt there will still be those shouting leave now without paying any money at all!  The rest of us live in the real world.

Says the poster who has freely admitted that he is happy to be involved in undermining the government in it's attempts to obtain a workable brexit. Hypocrisy personified.

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Maybe Quid Pro Quo isn't quite the right description but rudi49j's definition is correct.  Basically Britain has said that it is leaving the EU but wants a super special deal.  For that they will make concessions and hand over more cash.  That is about as close to a Quid Pro Quo that you will get.

Are the EU being unreasonable about the amount of money?  Well that depends on the deal Britain will end up with.  It would have to be a very special trade deal to justify the 40 billion.  The EU has said if the UK commit to the right amount (in their eyes) then they have a trade deal on the table.  Barnier also said that any trade deal that included the free movement of goods would also need the free movement of people, which has always been their position.

When you guys get a quiet moment, why don't you sit down and work out if Brexit is actually going to be worth it.  If we are honest then we knew that the 40 billion (or thereabouts) was always going to be paid.  Tomorrow is the budget and Hammond is under considerable pressure to ease austerity and announce some cash injections. With this huge divorce bill how can he do that?  Maybe take the Labour route and borrow more money to placate the voters?  When we leave the EU the government will have to put billions in to counter the consequences that Brexit will cause.  There is no upside here.

The only reason the UK is offering the ludicrous amount of cash it is offering is because the government has been undermined by your heroes to the extent that there is now no way forward without this absurd offer. Why don't you cut the doublespeak, and start being honest with your posts? I, for one, saw through you a long time ago.

7 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Well it isn't blackmail because with blackmail you pay someone to get something back in return, even if it is just their silence.  What the EU is saying is that we need to pay our divorce bill and then we can move on.  Is it fair? No but this is where we are at and we desperately need a deal of some sort and the people negotiating are useless.  We can walk away from Brexit at any time but instead we choose to march on into the mire.  

Come on then, how do we deliver a successful Brexit?  The "majority"   has shifted considerably since the referendum.  Do you honestly think anyone feels we are moving in the right direction?  All the Brexiteers I meet say it's a disaster and blame the EU or the government.

Job well done by you greedy, short-sighted traitors, isn't it?

10 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The only reason the UK is offering the ludicrous amount of cash it is offering is because the government has been undermined by your heroes to the extent that there is now no way forward without this absurd offer.

Very good point.  We're now seeing the damage that the hard remainers are doing to us. They think they're going to get a reversal of Brexit if they continue undermining the government and talking of catastrophe.  But all they're doing is strengthening the EU's negotiating position, and costing the UK more money.

The likes of Clarke and Heseltine should be ashamed.

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I've always thought it was wrong for the government to take sides.

We agree on that but quite honestly this was political power play from the start.  Johnson switched from being a remainer overnight after writing an article expressing how important it was to stay in Europe.  Anyone thinking that wasn't politically motivated is being naïve in my view.

11 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Says the poster who has freely admitted that he is happy to be involved in undermining the government in it's attempts to obtain a workable brexit. Hypocrisy personified.

Hypocrisy? Involved in undermining the government?  :cheesy:  Not sure what you are drinking these days but I would like some too!  Unlike you I have the ability to change my mind once confronted by the inevitable.  As I said before when it was the referendum it was a close call for me. I too wanted to believe what the leave camp were saying but in the end I voted remain.  Then it became clear that the whole leave campaign was based on lies and much of what the remain campaigned was also lies. As time goes by the reality of the impossible task to get a Brexit that will benefit Britain is exposed more and more.  Like you all I can rant and shout what I believe about Brexit but to call that "undermining the government" is laughable.  If only I had that influence!

Do I have a vested interest through business?  Well I did but I have now made contingency plans so I won't be affected anymore apart from suffering like everyone else with a weak pound.  I do have a son though who is going through the education system here in the UK and I am worried that with Brexit some of his opportunities will be limited.

11 hours ago, Khun Han said:

"wrexateer". Perfect. I love it. They've created the mess. Now they blame their opponents. It's Orwellian. It's 1984. Welcome to the world of the greedy globalists.

Absolutely!  1984 indeed!  Call a referendum and when the people vote you commit to deliver the result.  The government is trying (and failing) to deliver what the public understood they were voting for.  I would love to be wrong about Brexit, I really would and I will be the first to eat humble pie by the bucketful if I am.  How about you?

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I listen to a lot of debate on this, particularly on radio talk shows.  I hear a lot of people who voted Remain now saying we should leave, and as quickly as possible. Mainly due to the dictatorial behaviour coming from the EU. Many also felt hoodwinked by Cameron and Osborn who told us we would fall off a cliff immediately after a Leave vote, and face a 3rd world war.

I do understand the fears of the (remaining) remainers.  There are some huge challenges ahead, and the next few years will not be free of problems.  The situation isn't helped by the globalist establishment flooding the media with scare stories, and only focussing on the negatives. There are lots of multi-billionaire businessmen who get progressively richer from globalism. They are putting all their weight behind the scare campaign.

Agree. More and more people can now see the ugly face of the EU now becoming exposed for what it really is. I don't know any leavers who have changed their minds since June 2016 but I do know several remain voters that have.

The main apprehensions of remainers are economic and these same concerns are also shared by many remainers, But many remainers also factor in the economic risk of actually staying in the EU and this is yet another possibility either not acknowledged or just ignored by EU/Euro lovers. 

But the bottom line remains that people who voted out did not have the economy as their No.1 priority and remainers will ignore that fact to the end of time.  

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

But the bottom line remains that people who voted out did not have the economy as their No.1 priority and remainers will ignore that fact to the end of time.  

I think that is a good point.  Everyone had their own motivation for voting and one of the attractions of voting leave was the promise of the money for the NHS. I know that hit a nerve for me.  Also people wanted to take control of immigration when it came to EU members.  We all remember Nigel Farage's picture of all the migrants fleeing persecution.

But I do think that you are right that many remainers based their vote on the economic consequences of Brexit and I imagine that is still the case today.  Added to that will be the concern over how on earth we are going to be able to fund the 40 billion and then inject further billions to deal with the effects of Brexit.  May has committed 4 billion towards research and development already but much more will be needed.

I just wish the Brexiteers could give us something positive about what is happening because us remainers are struggling to do so.

27 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that is a good point.  Everyone had their own motivation for voting and one of the attractions of voting leave was the promise of the money for the NHS. I know that hit a nerve for me.  Also people wanted to take control of immigration when it came to EU members.  We all remember Nigel Farage's picture of all the migrants fleeing persecution.

But I do think that you are right that many remainers based their vote on the economic consequences of Brexit and I imagine that is still the case today.  Added to that will be the concern over how on earth we are going to be able to fund the 40 billion and then inject further billions to deal with the effects of Brexit.  May has committed 4 billion towards research and development already but much more will be needed.

I just wish the Brexiteers could give us something positive about what is happening because us remainers are struggling to do so.

You seem to have missed my point completely. You have just proved my point that: the bottom line remains that people who voted out did not have the economy as their No.1 priority and remainers will ignore that fact to the end of time.  

•  

34 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Added to that will be the concern over how on earth we are going to be able to fund the 40 billion and then inject further billions to deal with the effects of Brexit. 

I think the 40bn would be in exchange for a great trade deal, thus minimising any negative effects. Otherwise there would be no point in paying them so much.

Except this is what the polls say...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-majority-of-british-people-think-it-was-wrong-to-vote-for-brexit-2017-11

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Agree. More and more people can now see the ugly face of the EU now becoming exposed for what it really is. I don't know any leavers who have changed their minds since June 2016 but I do know several remain voters that have.

The main apprehensions of remainers are economic and these same concerns are also shared by many remainers, But many remainers also factor in the economic risk of actually staying in the EU and this is yet another possibility either not acknowledged or just ignored by EU/Euro lovers. 

NOT what the polls say.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-majority-of-british-people-think-it-was-wrong-to-vote-for-brexit-2017-11

I think the 40bn would be in exchange for a great trade deal, thus minimising any negative effects. Otherwise there would be no point in paying them so much.

One would hope so. Unfortunately I have lost faith in David Davis being able to negotiate such a deal and am tending to agree with the descriptions I saw of him recently as more suited to a role of window cleaner in a carry on film or someone who would pay full price for a DFS sofa - apologies to whoever did say that for not giving credit but I can’t remember who it was.

For the record I did support him once and did vote for him to be the leader of the Conservatives over David Cameron previously.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You seem to have missed my point completely. You have just proved my point that: the bottom line remains that people who voted out did not have the economy as their No.1 priority and remainers will ignore that fact to the end of time.  

•  

57 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I am agreeing with your point! Duh!

1 minute ago, taipeir said:

Yeah they are usually quite accurate you are correct.

A lot more accurate than my mate said down the pub lol.

Let's think - did the polls say Trump would become president?  Did the polls say May would only win the last election by the skin of her teeth? Did the polls say we would vote to leave the EU? The polls have been anything but accurate lately.

18 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Well you would think so!  The problem is, as the public, we are only drip fed bits of information and most things are kept under wraps.  Now you would hope that in pledging the 40 billion Davis and May have been told the deal by Barnier and that does, as you say, justify the large payment.  You still have the Irish border issue though, although I think the citizens rights issue is more or less agreed.

As we know Barnier did re-iterate that as far as a "free movement of goods" trade deal was concerned, it wasn't possible without the free movement of people because it was written in EU law (drawn up partly by the UK).  Let's hope this "ambitious" deal will have found a way round that.  Anyway time will tell on that.

In the meantime we have the budget and that should be very interesting.

12 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well you would think so!  The problem is, as the public, we are only drip fed bits of information and most things are kept under wraps.  Now you would hope that in pledging the 40 billion Davis and May have been told the deal by Barnier and that does, as you say, justify the large payment.  You still have the Irish border issue though, although I think the citizens rights issue is more or less agreed.

As we know Barnier did re-iterate that as far as a "free movement of goods" trade deal was concerned, it wasn't possible without the free movement of people because it was written in EU law (drawn up partly by the UK).  Let's hope this "ambitious" deal will have found a way round that.  Anyway time will tell on that.

In the meantime we have the budget and that should be very interesting.

Yep, have to agree with most of what you say here. Let's hope the 40bn bung helps Barnier find a loophole in the law!

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Money, money, money!

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I don't trust the polls any more than I trust a load of drunks down at the pub.  So I suppose we have no way of telling...:sad:

This was to tapir but never mind. Yougov's major shareholders are global financial investment companies that are far more liable to have an interest in the preservation of the EU. Just saying. 

28 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

We agree on that but quite honestly this was political power play from the start.  Johnson switched from being a remainer overnight after writing an article expressing how important it was to stay in Europe.  Anyone thinking that wasn't politically motivated is being naïve in my view.

Hypocrisy? Involved in undermining the government?  :cheesy:  Not sure what you are drinking these days but I would like some too!  Unlike you I have the ability to change my mind once confronted by the inevitable.  As I said before when it was the referendum it was a close call for me. I too wanted to believe what the leave camp were saying but in the end I voted remain.  Then it became clear that the whole leave campaign was based on lies and much of what the remain campaigned was also lies. As time goes by the reality of the impossible task to get a Brexit that will benefit Britain is exposed more and more.  Like you all I can rant and shout what I believe about Brexit but to call that "undermining the government" is laughable.  If only I had that influence!

Do I have a vested interest through business?  Well I did but I have now made contingency plans so I won't be affected anymore apart from suffering like everyone else with a weak pound.  I do have a son though who is going through the education system here in the UK and I am worried that with Brexit some of his opportunities will be limited.

Absolutely!  1984 indeed!  Call a referendum and when the people vote you commit to deliver the result.  The government is trying (and failing) to deliver what the public understood they were voting for.  I would love to be wrong about Brexit, I really would and I will be the first to eat humble pie by the bucketful if I am.  How about you?

Every wrexateer does their little bit to undermine the government by vociferously supporting remain/Project Fear's disruption. You think you are helping the country by saving it from a perceived catastrophy. But the current mess has been largely, and quite deliberately, created by the side you so vociferously support. And you are supporting an idea, one which in the short-term has been self-serving in it's incredible detriment to the UK. And that's the difference between us: the idea that I supported is now the reality. And I want to see the UK getting together in obtaining the best  for us right now. Just as I would have done if remain had won the referendum.