Farang looking to buy a condo in chang rai area

I worked hard in asia not thailand and thinking to buy a small condo in the chang raai area. Nowhere sleezy like bangkok or pattaya .Is this a good idea.? I am worried that i will be cheated and robbed especially as i have no experience buying property . I know thailand well so am also aware that there are a lot of dishonest people there . Is it really worth looki g into the idea ? I have no gfriend there yet but i know they are easy to get if you got a bit of spare change . Really just looking for a place to call home as i get older . No way im going back to blighty ever with the weather and the people and all . Also do i get a visa if i buy a place ?

1 hour ago, sklmeeera said:

thinking to buy a small condo in the chang raai area. Nowhere sleezy like bangkok or pattaya .Is this a good idea.? I am worried that i will be cheated and robbed especially as i have no experience buying property . I know thailand well so am also aware that there are a lot of dishonest people there . Is it really worth looki g into the idea ?

Chiang Mai might have more to offer in the way of number and variety of available units.

I'd suggest reading all the property transaction topic threads available on ThaiVisa, and elsewhere, to familiarize your self with the different issues people run across when looking for and acquiring property in Thailand. 

I have no gfriend there yet but i know they are easy to get if you got a bit of spare change .

...  O K

Also do i get a visa if i buy a place ?

Suggest you look at this 2015 post if you're interested in that.

Pay and stay, through the Investment Visa
By Lite Beer, September 20, 2015 in Thai visas, residency and work permits 

Phuket Law: Pay and stay, through the Investment Visa

5 hours ago, sklmeeera said:

I am worried that i will be cheated and robbed especially as i have no experience buying property . I know thailand well so am also aware that there are a lot of dishonest people there . Is it really worth looki g into the idea ? I have no gfriend there yet but i know they are easy to get if you got a bit of spare change . Really just looking for a place to call home as i get older . No way im going back to blighty ever with the weather and the people and all . Also do i get a visa if i buy a place ?

If you dont own any property elsewhere that you would like to live in, and if you think you might like to live here even part of the year (while travelling the rest of the year, perhaps) then a small condo may not be a bad purchase.

The ongoing yearly costs will be very small, assuming that you dont buy in some luxury development. Your unit and belongings will normally be completely safe even if you go away for several months. Just fit your own new locks. The legal path for a farang to buy and own a condo in his own name is very clear and safe enough to follow. Just avoid company-name proposals. It would be a good idea to rent for a year in whichever building you are thinking of buying in, just to get a feel for it. Try and attend any AGMs held during that time to get a feel for the way the building is run.

Once you are over 50, and assuming that you have a reasonable income or some savings, you can quite easily obtain a retirement extension (visa) that will allow you to stay here indefinitely and to travel as much as you like outside the country. The total cost is about 6000B/year for that.

I did pretty much the same as you are doing, though I prefer to be in Jomtien for the wide choice of farang food etc., and the proximity to BKK airport. Though the sleaze and massage/bar/club culture certainly is not an attraction for me.

As RichCor mentions, Chiang Rai is a bit small and doesnt have many condos to choose amongst. Chiang Mai is much larger and has a wider choice of everything, and more expat people taking advantage of that of course, notably many "digital nomads". Though maybe you really do want to just get away from it all.

Edited by KittenKong

Buying a condo in Thailand is as uncomplicated as buying a bicycle. I wouldn't be overly concerned about being robbed as you seem to be.

Go to a regular Real Estate Agent, look at the prices of the condos, ask him wjat his commission will be, ask who will be paying the transfer taxes (usually 50/50 between buyer and seller). You can be by his side every step of the way if you wish. He will see to it that there is no outstanding debt on the condo.

Good luck and enjoy your new home. 

PS. Maybe try and be a bit more positive. It has been my experience that bad things mostly happen to those who focus on them happening...and visa versa.

This is a joyous experience for you....so enjoy it.

I know very good and honest real estate agents in Chiang Rai, but you also can buy a finished brand new unit directly with the developers. Some fully furnished. Are few developers in Chiang Rai, and all with very good reputation. Chiang Rai may be a very good investment because it is cheaper than Chiang Mai, and without congestion problems, etc. Also, Chaing Rai is getting a lot of Chinese tourist and investors because very soon will be a direct connection with China. That will increase demand and values in the near future. Chiang Mai is overvalued already. If you are over 50 years old, to get the retirement visa will be easy and more convenient, specially if you are USA citizen like myself.

Edited by Muzarella

1 minute ago, Muzarella said:

I know very good and honest real estate agents in Chiang Rai, but you also can buy a finished brand new unit directly with the developers. Some fully furnished. Are few developers in Chiang Rai, and all with very good reputation. Chiang Rai may be a very good investment because it is cheaper than Chiang Mai, and without congestion problems, etc. Also, Chaing Rai is getting a lot of Chinese tourist and investors because very soon will be a direct connection with China. That will increase demand and values in the near future. Chiang Mai is overvalued already. If you are over 50 years old, to get the retiment visa will be easy and more convenient, specially if you are USA citizen like myself.

That is, if you look forward to hordes of Chinese visitors crowding the pool and lobby...?

Just now, trogers said:

That is, if you look forward to hordes of Chinese visitors crowding the pool and lobby...?

The member is talking about BUYING a condo, not in renting a hotel or residence room. Most Chinese investors are fine people, and a lot smarters than many Thai and Foreigners.

12 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

The member is talking about BUYING a condo, not in renting a hotel or residence room. Most Chinese investors are fine people, and a lot smarters than many Thai and Foreigners.

A real risk that he would face...fine people or fine company in some zero baht tour network...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332267

Read the last paragraph.

Edited by trogers

My experience as I retired in Chiang Mai in 2011. Rented a house the first two years to give me a secure location while learning a bit of the language, where to find things, insurance, buying things. I found the local Expat Club very handy to ask questions of those foreigners who had been here for some time and recommend you make contact with the Chiang Rai Expats. After renting, I bought a condo. Just sold the condo a few months ago as I decided, when I croak, it would be too much of a hassle for my U.S. Sons to come over and deal with... Now back to renting. Many properties available in Chaing Mai but I cannot speak for knowing Chiang Rai. Here I rent a 3 bed, 3 bath house, one year old for 13,000 baht a month.

Edited by wwest5829

Bangkok sleazy......yeah every last inch of it.....and all those dishonest Thais there by the million. But return to Blighty with all those people....I’m guessing foreigners...no way. Chiang Rai...definitely the right place for you....buy a cheap condo so you have enough change left to buy a gf. Oh boy am I delighted Bangkok isn’t in the running for you

To prevent your worry of being cheated you must do some research of your own before investing in property in Thailand .

You give the impression of been gullible and Pub gossip and forums such as these  are no substitute for your own common sense homework .

1 hour ago, Muzarella said:

For every Chinese investor buying into a condo building there will probably be a tenant occupying the unit purchased: possibly even many tenants changing every week or month. I would prefer to avoid this by selecting a building that actively bans short-term tenancies as I mentioned. This sort of building is also less likely to attract Chinese investors.

53 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Bangkok sleazy......yeah every last inch of it.....and all those dishonest Thais there by the million. But return to Blighty with all those people....I’m guessing foreigners...no way. Chiang Rai...definitely the right place for you....buy a cheap condo so you have enough change left to buy a gf. Oh boy am I delighted Bangkok isn’t in the running for you

Irritating to hear abuse of Thai cities, BKK , Pattaya, A lot of us go for choices of Food, and Entertainment, not just SEX, But People Love to Label a place for their Own Ingnorant beliefs

The risks with condos are not just about being cheated. If condo management has embezzled the maintenance budget, your shiny new unit will go downhill quite rapidly. Bear in mind Thai building standards are not the same as Western building standards.

What do you do if you get a neighbor from hell? If you've bought, it could take years to extract yourself. If you rent, you can be out of there in a month.

There are some posters on TV who claim to make good money flipping condos. It may be true, or it may be BS. Impossible to tell.

16 hours ago, Muzarella said:

ada yada yada ....................................

On 11/23/2017 at 8:06 AM, Chicken George said:

Why buy? Just rent. Find out if you like the area you intend to stay in first.. Maybe always best to rent if you are retired. Can aleays move somewhere else. Never say never when ypu day you dont eant to live in Blighty. Things change. Good luck.. 

Buy Bitcoin instead, i am serious.

On 11/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, Chicken George said:

Why buy? Just rent. Find out if you like the area you intend to stay in first.. Maybe always best to rent if you are retired. Can aleays move somewhere else. Never say never when ypu day you dont eant to live in Blighty. Things change. Good luck.. 

Why buy and make your complicated,just rent a place makes life so much easier believe me that way your not locked in to one place.

18 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Bit rough calling Bangkok sleazy, its actually pretty civilized. Has areas that could be deemed red light, same as anywhere, but sleazy wouldnt be a category I would use for the greater mettro area.

Thanks Scott . I will try and put it in a better way .  ....You mean that a city where a man can walk in and get serviced for a few baht at least less than 500 meters away from anywhere in the city ,thats a classy place for sure . Well maybe classier than Pattaya .

Edited by sklmeeera

5 hours ago, sklmeeera said:

Thanks Scott . I will try and put it in a better way .  ....You mean that a city where a man can walk in and get serviced for a few baht at least less than 500 meters away from anywhere in the city ,thats a classy place for sure . Well maybe classier than Pattaya .

If you think thats the case then i agree, you should stay out of Bangkok and every other city in Thailand and Vietnam and the Philippines and Indonesia and I guess most of asia. I didnt state if Bangkok was classy or not, but my wife and I lived in Bangkok without feeling that it was sleezy, maybe because we werent looking for sleeze. Sure there are districts that are redlight areas, but if I dont go there then what people do in those areas is no issue to me. Most european cities aren't exactly paragons of virtue either.

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

If you think thats the case then i agree, you should stay out of Bangkok and every other city in Thailand and Vietnam and the Philippines and Indonesia and I guess most of asia. I didnt state if Bangkok was classy or not, but my wife and I lived in Bangkok without feeling that it was sleezy, maybe because we werent looking for sleeze. Sure there are districts that are redlight areas, but if I dont go there then what people do in those areas is no issue to me. Most european cities aren't exactly paragons of virtue either.

Don't mind a poser from Tehran.