If you are stopped by traffic police @ Pattaya

thairookie

13 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Central Festival is right next door. Scoot in and buy a Prada handbag for your tilak while waiting to pay.

Haha,  getting in and out of that place takes me somewhere between 20 minutes and an hour!

I always get lost trying to find my way out! But good suggestion... I actually used the 7-11 last time.

3 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Agreed Pilotman, but one small flaw, it depends what Somchai plod defines as on offence. Customer of mine came in fuming a few weeks ago....Riding a bike...... helmet, check, sandals not flip flops, check ( though unwise ), license, check, insurance, check, visa, check........Oh Oh !!!! .......Riding with pillion footrest down......No,No,No !!!........all the while 50 metres away the school was throwing out.......you can guess what was happening there !!!!

Fold them up when the passenger gets off.

is it that hard ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, smotherb said:

There is another reason to live somewhere other than a farang ghetto. I've lived in Thailand almost eleven years now and driven my car or ridden my Harley every day. The only times I have ever been stopped and given a ticket has been in Pattaya and Phuket--oh, yes, once stopped near Nakon Si Thammarat, the cop wanted to see my bike and have a picture taken.

I've been stopped in various places all over Thailand. These scams aren't limited to the tourist areas.

Remember the one not long ago in issan where they were putting drugs inside your gas cap? And a cop stationed just down the road.

14 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've been stopped in various places all over Thailand. These scams aren't limited to the tourist areas.

Remember the one not long ago in issan where they were putting drugs inside your gas cap? And a cop stationed just down the road.

Well, I haven't. The fact there are dishonest cops ought to be recognized by all. I suggest money for infractions of the law--especially trumped--is more prevalent in areas with an abundance of farangs. If I am not mistaken, there are lots of farangs in Isaan. 

52 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Did you know it was illegal ???? I certainly didn't, and as usual, nearly every bike I see has them down !!!!

I have no idea if it's legal or not.

But was informed about this after a friend of a friend got nicked for it about 6

years a go in pattaya.

So i just fold them now,  with my foot, when someone get off. ( if i remember )  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Paying on the spot is obviously a bribe.

The usual process is he keeps your driving licence and you go off with the ticket to the police station and pay the fine. A pain as there is nowhere to park!

so how do you get the license back ? cop takes it to the station and you get it back when you pay the fine ? if that is the process, then you should Wait a bit for delivery of it to the station

13 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

so how do you get the license back ? cop takes it to the station and you get it back when you pay the fine ? if that is the process, then you should Wait a bit for delivery of it to the station

They tell you to go into the police station the next day (in most cases, that is). As you expect, that opens the way -- blasts it open, in fact -- for the old purple note in the licence trick. These cops know you don't want to go to the cop shop the next day, especially if you're an out-of-towner. It's a common one in areas of Bangkok (Klong Toey used to have a lot of checkpoints) for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thairookie said:

What is the new practice and "fees" ?

There's no "new" practice. Fees vary, average is B400. You can view a list at the station.

Do you still have to pay on the spot ?  Or do they make you pay at police station before you can proceed driving ?  Or they issue a summon and you can pay another day ?

1. Sometimes, but not that often. That was never a universal requirement. 2. Sometimes 3. Sometimes.

Well, that should end the thread but I guess our police corruption bots will keep it running for another 10 pages with repeats of the usual buzz.

Edited by JSixpack