Who drives the Condo's Tuk Tuk?

Inquisitorial

Our condo block operates a Tuk Tuk to and from the BTS this is managed by our property managers who employ the drivers via the security company.

The Tuk Tuk is always "out for repairs" which we think is due to the way the drivers operate the tuk tuk for example they always seem to start off in second gear, plus general checking is poor, i.e. when we checked it the water and oil was very low.  The tuk tuk is now in need of replacing due to the misuse after only 5 years of use.

We were wondering if those of you are in condo blocks with tuk tuks can share how the tuk tuk is managed and who drives it and if you have same problems.  Certainly when we look around the other tuk tuks running around our area seem in much better condition.

We are trying to work out the best cost effective solution.

Many thanks

The most cost effective solution is to let people find their own way to the bts, mrt etc.

They are a handy service, but will always be an ongoing issue with crashes, staffing them with responsible driver, insuring them, making them road legal etc.

If all done 100% properly the cost gets to a level where people who do not use the service would start to question its necessity.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

The most cost effective solution is to let people find their own way to the bts, mrt etc.

They are a handy service, but will always be an ongoing issue with crashes, staffing them with responsible driver, insuring them, making them road legal etc.

If all done 100% properly the cost gets to a level where people who do not use the service would start to question its necessity.

Why will there "always be issues with crashes" in respect of tuk-tuks?  I can remember only one being reported over the past few years.  Maybe there are others that have "always" happened?

Why do you suggest there are insurance issues, based on what?

Why do you suggest that there would be issues making a vehicle designed to be used only on the roads road legal?

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

'The Tuk Tuk is always out for repairs'. Maybe so, but are you sure it's not being used out of site of the condo as a private taxi service?

Not the case it is just parked in the bay awaiting repair - they seem to do most repairs onsite.  though I am sure it is used for the occasional private run.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

At the condo I am currently occupying, we get ferried to the BTS using a large electric golf cart. It's only 3 or 400 metres and I take it if it's going, driven by the maintenance man, very good.

Never checked if it's registered or insured, but I doubt it.

We are about 800m to the BTS so am thinking the extra distance may make electric golf cart unsuitable as they do need to drive on Sukhumvit road,  we will look into it, but as you say it may not be possible to get an electric cart  registered and/or insured.

Our Condo block leases an 8 seater golf cart, once an hour 20 baht round to the beach and shops, driven by the odd job or security guys. Its costs 100k a year, includes maintenance , repairs etc, But it only brings in 60k in revenue. Its tagged to be voted on at  next AGM.

Most residents have there own transport and a Bike taxi stand at the front of the block, I feel its only the short term AirBnB renters that use it.

Edited by Peterw42

My condo doesn't have a pool or gym, which I am glad, as it would almost always be as poorly managed money pit.  Allow a private guy to park there and charge.  Always better to live near the main road..I am 70m and even with a 5m wide road, I look back over my shoulder four times on the 32 second walk.