Irish government on verge of collapse ahead of EU Brexit summit

webfact

Irish government on verge of collapse ahead of EU Brexit summit

By Conor Humphries and Padraic Halpin

tag_reuters-1.jpg

Taoiseach (Prime Minister) of Ireland Leo Varadkar speaks on stage during his opening address of the Fine Gael national party conference in Ballyconnell, Ireland November 10, 2017. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne

DUBLIN (Reuters) - The Irish government was on the verge of collapse on Thursday after the party whose votes Prime Minister Leo Varadkar depends on to pass legislation said it would move to remove the deputy prime minister in a breach of their cooperation agreement.

The crisis comes weeks ahead of a European Union summit in which the Irish government has an effective veto on whether Britain's talks on leaving the bloc progress as it determines if EU concerns about the future of the Irish border have been met.

The opposition Fianna Fail party said it would put a motion of no confidence in Deputy Prime Minister Frances Fitzgerald on Tuesday over her handling of a legal case involving a police whistleblower.

That would break the three-year "confidence and supply" agreement that allowed Varadkar's Fine Gael party to form a minority government in 2016 with nine independent members of parliament.

A breakdown of the deal, which has worked relatively smoothly up until now, would likely lead to an election in December or January.

Fianna Fail initially indicated it might withdraw its threat of a motion of no confidence if Fitzgerald resigned.

"There are ways and there is time to resolve this issue," Fianna Fail justice spokesman Jim O'Callaghan told a 6 p.m. news bulletin. "I don't think anyone wants a general election."

But Foreign Minister Simon Coveney told state broadcaster in the 9 p.m. bulletin that Fitzgerald would not resign.

"Certainly the government is going to stand by the Tainiste (deputy prime minister)," Coveney said.

"This is ... dangerous politically at a time when the country does not need an election," he said, in an apparent reference to the December EU summit.

Fine Gael members of parliament passed a unanimous motion of support in Fitzgerald at an emergency meeting on Thursday evening.

The Fianna Fail move comes after Fitzgerald admitted she was made aware of an attempt to discredit a police whistleblower in a 2015 email, but failed to act.

The case relates to a whistleblower who alleged widespread misconduct in the force. His treatment by the authorities led in 2014 to the resignations of the then police commissioner and justice minister.

(Reporting by Conor Humphries; editing by Richard Balmforth, G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-24

1 hour ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Do you suppose the deeply conservative Irish population have decided that the gay son of an Indian immigrant really doesn t have that much in common with his people?

Gosh! You're not Lord Kilclooney are you?

Deeply conservative, eh? Is that the polite way of saying bigoted and homophobic, same as the DUP up north?

Edited by NanLaew

Now that the stranglehold of Rome has been broken, Ireland has become one of the world's more enlightened jurisdictions.  They have lived through the nightmare of history and now are able to tell the Pope to eff off.  (Well, some of them do.)

24 minutes ago, blazes said:

Now that the stranglehold of Rome has been broken, Ireland has become one of the world's more enlightened jurisdictions.  They have lived through the nightmare of history and now are able to tell the Pope to eff off.  (Well, some of them do.)

Really?

In all my visits I never saw anything to convince me that the Irish people were under a "stranglehold" by Rome. Sure they went to Church, but it didn't translate to anything particularly menacing outside. Perhaps back in the 50s and 60s, but we've all moved on since then.

BTW, the real problem for Ireland has always been England, since at least Cromwell, and perhaps Elizabeth.

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really?

In all my visits I never saw anything to convince me that the Irish people were under a "stranglehold" by Rome. Sure they went to Church, but it didn't translate to anything particularly menacing outside. Perhaps back in the 50s and 60s, but we've all moved on since then.

BTW, the real problem for Ireland has always been England, since at least Cromwell, and perhaps Elizabeth.

The "nightmare of history" does assume, does it not, a little way back in history than the last decade or so

Maybe you should watch a movie like "The Magdalen Sisters", a real horror show of what it was once like for young Irish women, enslaved by the vastly cruel nuns.

Back in 1982, I was riding a bus in Dublin.  There was a bus stop outside a church.  Two women sat opposite me, their backs to the church.  As the bus left the stop, the two women crossed themselves without so much as pausing in their talk or looking at the church.  If that's not a stranglehold, I don't know what is....

26 minutes ago, blazes said:

The "nightmare of history" does assume, does it not, a little way back in history than the last decade or so

Maybe you should watch a movie like "The Magdalen Sisters", a real horror show of what it was once like for young Irish women, enslaved by the vastly cruel nuns.

Back in 1982, I was riding a bus in Dublin.  There was a bus stop outside a church.  Two women sat opposite me, their backs to the church.  As the bus left the stop, the two women crossed themselves without so much as pausing in their talk or looking at the church.  If that's not a stranglehold, I don't know what is....

I am well aware of the Magdalene sisters, an atrocity of the same sort as perpetrated in many countries under different faiths and systems. Try looking at child slavery in some well known countries that continues to this day.

Brainwashing is not the same as a "stranglehold".

I have to assume that you have never been to Thailand, where people wai symbols of Buddhism as they pass by.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I am well aware of the Magdalene sisters, an atrocity of the same sort as perpetrated in many countries under different faiths and systems. Try looking at child slavery in some well known countries that continues to this day.

Brainwashing is not the same as a "stranglehold".

I have to assume that you have never been to Thailand, where people wai symbols of Buddhism as they pass by.

Your arguments, so far as they can be so dignified, are incoherent.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's funny, as that's what I thought about 

1 hour ago, blazes said:

You really don't have much use for facts, do you?

Ireland becomes first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote

Ireland has voted by a huge majority to legalise same-sex marriage, becoming the first country in the world to do so by popular vote in a move hailed as a social revolution and welcomed around the world.

Some 62% of the Irish Republic’s electorate voted in favour of gay marriage. The result means that a republic once dominated by the Catholic church ignored the instructions of its cardinals and bishops.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/23/gay-marriage-ireland-yes-vote

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

You really don't have much use for facts, do you?

Ireland becomes first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote

Ireland has voted by a huge majority to legalise same-sex marriage, becoming the first country in the world to do so by popular vote in a move hailed as a social revolution and welcomed around the world.

Some 62% of the Irish Republic’s electorate voted in favour of gay marriage. The result means that a republic once dominated by the Catholic church ignored the instructions of its cardinals and bishops.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/23/gay-marriage-ireland-yes-vote

But it's not the left-footers that are the 'deeply conservative' issue here.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

But it's not the left-footers that are the 'deeply conservative' issue here.

So you mean a country is deeply conservative even if a minority of voters qualify for that rubric? So does Australia qualify as a "deeplly conservative nation" too? After all, 38  percent of the voters there  also voted against  gay marriage.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The opposition Fianna Fail party said it would put a motion of no confidence in Deputy Prime Minister Frances Fitzgerald on Tuesday over her handling of a legal case involving a police whistleblower.

15 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So you mean a country is deeply conservative even if a minority of voters qualify for that rubric? So does Australia qualify as a "deeplly conservative nation" too? After all, 38  percent of the voters there  also voted against  gay marriage.

Apparently the government will fail because of a no confidence vote regarding the handling of a legal case involving a police whistleblower.  Australians that voted against gay marriage had nothing to do with it. That does not however mean that they were wrong.

6 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Do you suppose the deeply conservative Irish population have decided that the gay son of an Indian immigrant really doesn t have that much in common with his people?

5 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Apparently the government will fail because of a no confidence vote regarding the handling of a legal case involving a police whistleblower.  Australians that voted against gay marriage had nothing to do with it. That does not however mean that they were wrong.

It was you who asserted that the Irish population is "deeply conservative" and that the fact that the PM was gay. somehow played a part in his unpopularity. Clearly, you were way off base.